SgtToadette

Need help looking for a weapon-light.

Hey folks. Since i have my AR upper on order, I want to try to get as many accessories as I can. One of the items I want to throw on it is a flashlight.

It needs to have all of these criteria:

• Must be reliable (including shock-resistant and water-resistant to IPX-8 or greater standard).
  • Must use a single LED.
  • Must use a smooth reflector.
  • Must have approximately 500+ lumen output.
  • Must use a disposable and somewhat common battery (CR123s acceptable).
  • Must be mountable to a picatiny/M1913 rail.

I'd like it to have these features, but I won't discriminate if they aren't there:

• Be reasonably compact.
  • Be under $200.
  • Have remote activation switch.
  • Have multiple output levels.
  • Have momentary on function.

I've been looking at Surefire's offerings and haven't been impressed. I get that they have a great reputation for reliability, but many of their lights have simply sub-par outputs compared to the ever increasing import market offerings.

I currently have a Fenix TK22 and while I like the features of it, the fact that it failed at an IDPA match makes me hesitant to put it on my eventual rifle. I haven't yet determined the cause of the failure, but I have a couple theories I plan to troubleshoot.

I'm also curious what you guys mount on your rifles.

Thanks!

I have been doing a lot of low light/no light shooting lately and trying different lights at different ranges.

I have found that the Surefire Fury P2X Defender/Surefire BCM EAG Fury (single output, clickie tailcap models) are THE current answer for a white light on a long gun. I have been able to make positive targed ID (friend/foe) at 150 yards with the Fury. I am able to aquire targets at 200 yards. Nothing else compares. And at $120 for the EAG version and $110 for the P2X Defender the value is excellent.

Your Needs to have column covers all the bases fairly well.

Your "like to have" list has a few things that are counter productive to a weapon light.

For a long gun you do not want a pressure switch unless you have more than one device ounted (like a laser or IR illum). The are a weak link in the system, and its operation keeps your offhand tied up on the gun when you may need it for other things like opening a door, using a phone or radio, reloading, carrying a loved one, etc...

Multiple output is also un-advised as it adds complexity to a system that you will want simple to use under stress. If you need multiple lighting levels, invest in a good handheld to use in conjunction with the long gun for admin tasks.

The TLR series does not make a good weapon light on a long gun and IME is only marginal on a pistol. Avoid it if possible. It has a hot bright center but there is not much spill as it was designed for a pistol and the beam is focused for "pistol" type engagement distances of ~25 yards.

I have been doing a lot of low light/no light shooting lately and trying different lights at different ranges.

I have found that the Surefire Fury P2X Defender/Surefire BCM EAG Fury (single output, clickie tailcap models) are THE current answer for a white light on a long gun. I have been able to make positive targed ID (friend/foe) at 150 yards with the Fury. I am able to aquire targets at 200 yards. Nothing else compares. And at $120 for the EAG version and $110 for the P2X Defender the value is excellent.

Your "like to have" list has a few things that are counter productive to a weapon light.

For a long gun you do not want a pressure switch unless you have more than one device ounted (like a laser or IR illum). The are a weak link in the system, and its operation keeps your offhand tied up on the gun when you may need it for other things like opening a door, using a phone or radio, reloading, carrying a loved one, etc...

Multiple output is also un-advised as it adds complexity to a system that you will want simple to use under stress. If you need multiple lighting levels, invest in a good handheld to use in conjunction with the long gun for admin tasks.

The TLR series does not make a good weapon light on a long gun and IME is only marginal on a pistol. Avoid it if possible. It has a hot bright center but there is not much spill as it was designed for a pistol and the beam is focused for "pistol" type engagement distances of ~25 yards.

This

I have the streamight polytac led hp mounted in a vtac carrier on my rail. I always have my support hand as forward as possible to activate the light if need be. I avoid pressure switches incase of accidental activation and avoid having to change my grip from the magwell to the tailcap.

I should clarify my intended purpose for the rifle. This will be an AR designed for SHTF strictly. I will use it at the range and I will use it in other applications, but the intended purpose of the rifle is not home defense. I want it to be as light as possible with as much capability as possible. It's mostly for my interest in building it, not because I actually expect to employ it.

The problems I've had looking at the P2X series is two-fold: First, it uses a textured reflector and second, from what I understand, the battery compartment is not shock-rated and not designed for mounted applications.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You will not be disappointed.

Check out lapolicegear.com, they usually have the best deals, the compare with flashlightdistributer.com, they are pretty good too.

Botachtactical.com had it with pressure switch for 180 shipped when I got mine. I have it on my hd shotgun and have to say it lights up everything! ! If your in the Jackson area or shoot at ba let mw know I can meet up with you and show yah

I should clarify my intended purpose for the rifle. This will be an AR designed for SHTF strictly. I will use it at the range and I will use it in other applications, but the intended purpose of the rifle is not home defense. I want it to be as light as possible with as much capability as possible. It's mostly for my interest in building it, not because I actually expect to employ it.

The problems I've had looking at the P2X series is two-fold: First, it uses a textured reflector and second, from what I understand, the battery compartment is not shock-rated and not designed for mounted applications.

The Textured/Orange peel reflector is what gives you spill around the central hotspot. That spill is necessary and desirable as it is what lets you keep SA on your surroundings and increases your ability to see more than what you are looking at. Without that spill it would be like looking through a paper towel tube with only a small percent of what you should be able to see visible and the rest remaining in darkness. The hot spot on the Fury is still very bright and as I said the throw is excellent, allowing SA at 200 yards and PID at 150 yards, while still allowing enough light to be spilled to make room entry and CQB work easier.

I have over 1000 rounds on an issued Colt SBR with a Fury in a LaRue LT606 mount, and another 500 or so on my personal midlength with a Fury in a VTAC mount. I have had exactly zero issues. I know others with multiple Furys and many more rounds through them also with no issues. Remember that the Surefire G2 and G2X are also "Non-shock isolated" or whatever Surefire called it (IMO that is simply because they want you to buy a $500 200 Lumen Scout M600C and not a $100 500 Lumen Fury) and we have been using them for years - I have many thousands of rounds on multiple rifles and shotguns with SF G2 and G2X lights also with no issues.

Botachtactical.com had it with pressure switch for 180 shipped when I got mine. I have it on my hd shotgun and have to say it lights up everything! ! If your in the Jackson area or shoot at ba let mw know I can meet up with you and show yah

Having had a number of the TLR series lights fail on me I am not a fan of that product in general, But I have no experience with this particular model. Going off specs alone, the TLR1HP is expensive at a reported $180 for only 200 Lumens with a decent runtime of 1.75 hours (compared to the Fury at $110 for 500L and a 1.5 hour reported runtime).

I have found to 200L to be the bare minimum acceptable on long guns. How much time have you spent with this shooting in true low-light conditions? How about different positions, especially prone? You will be amazed how much light from your flashlight is sucked up by the ground and micro-terrain at night. At 200 Lumen, the max distance that I could make positive Friend/Foe target ID was 50 yards, with aquisition at around 75-100 depending on ambient conditions.

It's on a shotgun no prone shooting. On my 7th set of batteries with no issue. Rapid fire with a 12 g isn't gentle on it and it hasn't been knocked loose. During sandy it was the only flashlight we could find fast and well carried it everywhere. I'm happy with it.

OLight M21x Warrior or M22 should fit your bill except for the reflector bit...I've got an M21x and an M20 (and a few others for handheld work), the M20 is currently mounted on my Benelli Supernova.

Standard 1" tube so any flashlight mount should work, 600/200/20 lumens on the M21x, 950/250/20 on the M22, momentary on, and the M21x Warrior comes with a remote tailcap (dunno bout the M22). Claimed 260m throw for the M21, 305m for the M22...

M20 has held up to hundreds of rounds of 12ga from target loads through 3 1/2" magnum loads...I expect no less from the M21X and M22....

I expect to get myself an M3X-XML2 or M22 sometime soon...

Amazon usually has the lights, and www.olightworld.com has specifics on their models.

Take a look at the fenix PD32 UE. 740 lumens, multiple level outputs, very wide spill no hot spot of tlr-1

Get a good offset mount and you are all set

I prefer it over my streamlight.

Or get a surefire 6p and aftermarket lamp