mcbethr

Pairing down the flock?

I've been doing some thinking.

Since that horrible day in Newtown, I've been doing very little shooting - I'm spending more time fighting for rights than actually exercising them. I'd like to pair down the flock to help raise money for the coming fight.

I used to think: "All of them are my favorites" but:

#1. I never shoot my CX4.

#2. I never shoot my Mossberg 500.

#3. I love my PX4 but I find that I enjoy shooting my 92FS more.

#4. I like my Kel Tec, but can't carry in PA anymore since the law changed. I'd rather fight to carry in NJ.

I'll never get rid of my 92FS, my 1911 or my 10/22. What do you guys think? Keep the above or sell? I've never sold a gun before. Am I going to regret it? Do any of you have a never-sell gun?

I think your reasoning is noble. It is a shame there is not a way to some how pay it forward and bring new people to the table and raise money at the same time without having to sell your guns. Just think if the fight goes in your favor you will miss that Kel Tec.

I have sold many, many guns. Only regret a few. If it's going towards something you'll use, go for it. I have a rule. No closet queens. That's not what I got into this hobby for. None of the guns you mentioned are unique or collectible. All are easily reacquired if you feel regrets.

I am currently re-evaluating my collection and selling the guns that I don't shoot, and using the money to fund guns I will shoot; or ammo I will shoot. I don't want things sitting in the safe that I am not going to use. I vote to sell them. Too bad your not looking to part with something I want.

Only you know for sure, go with your gut and don't be afraid to have a "safe queen" or two.

There's also no such thing as an "easily replaced" firearm right now, if you decide that you want to replace sold pieces. (Especially the CX4, holy moly!)

I sold my AR recently to finance a pistol, cause you know.."I never shot my AR"

And pistol permit are tough to get...I can get another rifle whenever I'm ready..etc

Big mistake.

Guns I'll always have in the safe?

Glock 19

12ga HD pump

S&W 686 (if you see this on the marketplace, that means one of my kids is quite ill)

Rifle caliber carbine

There's also no such thing as an "easily replaced" firearm right now, if you decide that you want to replace sold pieces. (Especially the CX4, holy moly!)

You know, I thought about getting rid of my CX4 a couple of weeks ago to buy a new Kimber but nobody was interested. I set the price at $1200 with 6 mags and a bunch of accessories (laser/sling/flashlight/2 cocking handles/buttstock mag holder) since I saw them for $1400 on Gunbroker naked with 1 mag.

Now I don't want a new Kimber. I want to make sure my kids have the same rights I have. And in order to do that it means donations, gas money, lunches with politicians and time.

I've been doing some thinking.

Since that horrible day in Newtown, I've been doing very little shooting - I'm spending more time fighting for rights than actually exercising them. I'd like to pair down the flock to help raise money for the coming fight.

I used to think: "All of them are my favorites" but:

#1. I never shoot my CX4.

#2. I never shoot my Mossberg 500.

#3. I love my PX4 but I find that I enjoy shooting my 92FS more.

#4. I like my Kel Tec, but can't carry in PA anymore since the law changed. I'd rather fight to carry in NJ.

I'll never get rid of my 92FS, my 1911 or my 10/22. What do you guys think? Keep the above or sell? I've never sold a gun before. Am I going to regret it? Do any of you have a never-sell gun?

If it was me, I'd keep everything you can, as you need to pass them to your children with a copy of the Constitution. If you want to get rid of something, consider upgrading... 92FS for a 92A1 Stainless, PX4 for a new 92FS Compact, and so forth. And, besides, firearms are tools. You have a couple of combat handguns... Beretta 92 and 1911. Check and check. You have a shotgun. Check. You have a concealable handgun, Keltec. Check. You have a 22 rimfire rifle. Check. You have a carbine, CX 4. Check. Instead of getting rid of them, why not get a bolt gun? Or, a nice heavy revolver? And, it seems you need some kind of .22LR handgun. The coming fight might require more than just money.

i just checked the last 2 weeks of COMPLETED auctions on CX4's.. most were "asking" over a thousand but i found hardly any that met the reserve. (if you saw differently my apologies, i just perused it quickly..)

Try putting your CX4 without the mags and extras on the board for a lower price and then sell the other stuff separately.

Make a couple hundred more than you paid for it and be happy with the cash and let it go to a NJ-er.. (as opposed to doubling your money on GB, maybe) Just think of it this way.. if the AWB doesnt happen then you wouldnt be able to get ALL of your money back ever again on it.