Bbott

PPQ or P30 - 9MM

If I got a glock, it would be a Glock 17. But I'm not going the Glock route :-)

Glock 17 has 10 round mags, Glock 19 has 15 rounders. Just sayin

Okay, i'll run with your 2 options. Everybody thinks the PPQ is the beez kneez, and HK are only for tactical operators and high speed/low drap military dudes. Either one will do EVERYTHING you need. Your job is to find someone who has them and shoot them to really find out.

Trigger is a LOT nicer on PPQ than P30. Both share the same clunky (IMO), large slide, top heavy, high bore-axis design. Both have really nice adjustable and comfortable grip design. Both are good shooters. I actually like the mag release on these guns. The new PPQ coming out will have a standard mag release though.

I was torn between these two guns almost a year ago when I was picking my first gun. I ended up going with the PPQ for a couple reasons: it has a better trigger, it is less expensive, and the mag release is more prominent. The P30 is a great gun by all reports, but I figured I'd spend the $300 bucks I saved getting extra mags, some ammo, and shooting equipment like a holster and good belt.

Both guns have expensive factory magazines, but since HK is more established and has a bigger audience, you may have better luck finding compatible magazines. PPQ (M1) magazines are almost impossible to find currently, but that could change since Walther cut its ties with Smith and Wesson and is now importing its own product and is established in America.

EDIT: All that said, I'll probably end up getting a P30 when I'm in the market for another polymer 9mm.

Glock 17 has 10 round mags, Glock 19 has 15 rounders. Just sayin

Okay, i'll run with your 2 options. Everybody thinks the PPQ is the beez kneez, and HK are only for tactical operators and high speed/low drap military dudes. Either one will do EVERYTHING you need. Your job is to find someone who has them and shoot them to really find out.

Valid point, but I have gorilla hands. LOL

I was torn between these two guns almost a year ago when I was picking my first gun. I ended up going with the PPQ for a couple reasons: it has a better trigger, it is less expensive, and the mag release is more prominent. The P30 is a great gun by all reports, but I figured I'd spend the $300 bucks I saved getting extra mags, some ammo, and shooting equipment like a holster and good belt.

Both guns have expensive factory magazines, but since HK is more established and has a bigger audience, you may have better luck finding compatible magazines. PPQ (M1) magazines are almost impossible to find currently, but that could change since Walther cut its ties with Smith and Wesson and is now importing its own product and is established in America.

Is the PPQ M2 available yet?

HD and target

Don't limit yourself to the above mentioned. You might like the feel of a Glock, Caracal, Steyr, Beretta, Ruger, FNP, or any other of the bizzillion 9mm polymer semi auto's.

Tried them both. Like PPQ more so that's where my votes going. I'm use to the button mag release so makes no difference if Walther changes it. The trigger is what made my decision. I like the pull and reset more on the PPQ. The LEM is nice but just not my taste.

Don't limit yourself to the above mentioned. You might like the feel of a Glock, Caracal, Steyr, Beretta, Ruger, FNP, or any other of the bizzillion 9mm polymer semi auto's.

I currently have a M&P 9

I went P30S. I liked the PPQ a lot but that trigger is too light to not have an external safety. I also didnt care for the mag release. It feels like Id break it. With the P30S I have the ability to go C&L or hammer down safty on, or hammer down, safty off, or the option to swap to LEM.

I went P30S. I liked the PPQ a lot but that trigger is too light to not have an external safety. I also didnt care for the mag release. It feels like Id break it. With the P30S I have the ability to go C&L or hammer down safty on, or hammer down, safty off, or the option to swap to LEM.

I didn't think that DA/SA P30s could be readily converted to LEMs. Thought I read that somewhere.

If only selecting between P30 and PPQ my suggestion is to try both and see which one fits your grip better and what type of trigger you are after e.g. striker fired, da/sa etc.

I personally like the PPQ and have put thousands of rounds through mine. The PPQ has a 'better' trigger in the way it breaks, however some may be concerned about it being 'too light' - personally I don't see it as too light - you just need to have proper trigger discipline as per any other firearm.

If you typically prefer button magazine release then go for the PPQ M2 rather than the PPQ M1 - however I don't believe the actual magazines are interchangeable.

As per RayRay and others have suggested, also try a few other firearms such as the Glock 19 and M&P 9/M&P Pro 9. Don't knock Glocks - they are reliable and far easier to find accessories for than PPQs and P30s.

enjoy

TheWombat

I own the PPQ (thanks to Wombat). It's very nice and I like the trigger. The trigger is light and yes, I've doubled twice with this when I was learning. I've gotten used to it and have stopped feathering the trigger. I also love the mag release.

I use the PPQ in USPSA competition. After 10+ matches and thousands of rounds, no issues so far with any part. I've probably abused the PPQ quite a bit with the running and gunning at a match. The only item I changes was the sights for plain black rears and a fiber optic front from Dawson.

I tried the P30. The trigger is weird for me. I'm sure if I owned it and used it enough, I would adjust to it too. The weirdest part is trying to obtain a sight picture. The trigger slowly moving back just distracts me enough to take my eyes off the sights. Again, if I owned it, I'm sure I would adjust to it.

It seems the grip on both seem good compared to my Glock. I own a gen 4 G22. The trigger guard seems to get in the way of a comfortable grip. I'm thinking of sending it away to get the trigger guard thinned out.

So funny this thread was made yesterday as I was going to make the same one today. I've held the P30 in my hands and it feels really nice. The grip is awesome.

Right now I own a p229 in .40 and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on owning both striker fired and DA/SA hammer fired pistols. Is it difficult to become accustomed to both? Wondering if I should stick to one or the other at this point which would make the p30 an ideal choice for me.