TheLugNutZ

Pa. man arrested at Newark airport with gun in bag

VIA app.com

http://www.app.com/viewart/20130217/NJNEWS14/302170056/Pa-man-arrested-Newark-airport-gun-bag

NEWARK — A Pennsylvania man was arrested at Newark Liberty International Airport after screeners noticed a loaded gun in his carry-on bag.

The Star-Ledger of Newark reports 59-year-old Robert Kellerman of Long Pond was taken into custody just after 6 a.m. by Port Authority police. They were notified after Transportation Security Administration screeners saw the .22 caliber hand gun at a checkpoint inside Terminal C.

Kellerman was charged with unlawful possession of a weapon. Officials say Kellerman told police he forgot the gun was inside the bag.

A telephone number for Kellerman could not be located Sunday afternoon.

Airline passengers are permitted to travel with firearms only in checked baggage. They must be stored properly and unloaded.

Forgot it was in his bag is a bad excuse. :( Poor guy should have flown out of Philly

Regardless of where he flies out of, having a gun in your bag as you go through security is a no-no unless you're LEO.

And even so, not unless you're an air marshal... and you're supposed to declare it too.

That said I once forgot a knife in my camera bag and it went thru security. Scanners caught it but made me check the bag. Never making that mistake again.

What is the charge on this? How much trouble could he possibly get?

Depends, Could be 2nd degree. All depends on the Prosecutor and what the want to charge. He could be looking at 5 years. Title 2C:39-5 Unlawful possession of weapon.

For those all saying no excuse, consider that ouside of nj, ny, etc etc guns are viewed like a hammer or saw. If you had a collection of hammers and saws it would be easy to lose track. This was just about everyone i met in az 3 weeks ago! They had pistols practically everywhere!!! It was simply no big deal there. You only see it as a big deal here because the gun culture is so underground here by comparison.

Punishment (if he gets it) does not fit the crime at all. Unless they can prove some kind of criminal intent.

Anyway, it is still silly to just "forget" especially after 9/11. Yes I know it was over ten years ago but still.

When I went to Dominican Republic in December I kept checking to make sure I wasn't carrying my knife, even though I knew I did not bring any with me lol

For those all saying no excuse, consider that ouside of nj, ny, etc etc guns are viewed like a hammer or saw. If you had a collection of hammers and saws it would be easy to lose track. This was just about everyone i met in az 3 weeks ago! They had pistols practically everywhere!!! It was simply no big deal there. You only see it as a big deal here because the gun culture is so underground here by comparison.

Yeah but you can also walk right into a store to buy a hammer or saw, not the case with a gun. I dont care where you are, you should know damn well where all of your firearms are at all times. What if someone that shouldnt get their hands on it, does? A child or a criminal? Maybe not someone that is looking for one, but someone that is able to get their hands on it as a crime of opportunity? No reason to ever NOT know where a firearm is.

I fly a lot with firearms. I've seen this at SLC -- people try to go thru the security checkpoint having forgotten to unholster and unload their pistol and throw it in their checked luggage. I don't think the fine is that bad but you don't get your firearm back right away and you could miss your flight if you were already running late.

Some of these people don't forget they've carrying a loaded gun, it's more that they don't put 2 and 2 together that they're entering a sterile area with a prohibited item. There is a nuance there.

No excuse for not going thru your carry-on bag prior to entering security though

I've had empty brass found in my bags after the scanner (they seem to hide everywhere!) and they offered to put them in a side pocket so they wouldn't get crushed in the bottom of the bag

Yeah but you can also walk right into a store to buy a hammer or saw, not the case with a gun.

That's the Jersey mentality at work. In some places you can actually do just that - walk into a store, choose a firearm, pay and then walk out with it. In states like Texas and Iowa if you have a CHL you're exempt fron NICS check.

I agree on knowing where your firearms are but I also know where my hammers and saws are. They're much more dangerous to my kids than my (unloaded) guns.

That's the Jersey mentality at work. In some places you can actually do just that - walk into a store, choose a firearm, pay and then walk out with it. In states like Texas and Iowa if you have a CHL you're exempt fron NICS check.

I agree on knowing where your firearms are but I also know where my hammers and saws are. They're much more dangerous to my kids than my (unloaded) guns.

I agree. EIther way you have to know where your potentially dangerous weapons or tools are, whatever they may be. Keep tabs on them damnit

Yeah but you can also walk right into a store to buy a hammer or saw, not the case with a gun. I dont care where you are, you should know damn well where all of your firearms are at all times. What if someone that shouldnt get their hands on it, does? A child or a criminal? Maybe not someone that is looking for one, but someone that is able to get their hands on it as a crime of opportunity? No reason to ever NOT know where a firearm is.

Ever been to Arizona? Texas? Utah? Vermont? South Dakota? etc etc etc. In other parts of the country its simply no big deal, And while I agree you should know where you sh!t is, I can see how people from these areas can make the mistake.This was the point I was making.

I was in AZ about 3 weeks ago on business. Many of the people I met there had a pistol stuffed in just about every orriface that a pistol could be stuffed! Carry, glove box, couch arm pocket, top shelf, etc etc etc. Not only can you buy a pistol there and walk out with it, you can conceal it and walk out WITHOUT a CCW!!! It is a consitutional carry state!

Im fairly aware what part of the country we are in. But most people live in America and think like Americans......

Hell it wasnt until that priest got arrested in NYC on his way to a ceramony that I became aware a knife was a giant issue in that fucktardian city! Ive been carrying my emerson into the city for years! Never gave it a thought.

Im fairly aware what part of the country we are in. But most people live in America and think like Americans......

Hell it wasnt until that priest got arrested in NYC on his way to a ceramony that I became aware a knife was a giant issue in that fucktardian city! Ive been carrying my emerson into the city for years! Never gave it a thought.

Put it IN your pocket, don't clip it to your pocket. That's my method to date.

Yeah but you can also walk right into a store to buy a hammer or saw, not the case with a gun.  I dont care where you are, you should know damn well where all of your firearms are at all times.  What if someone that shouldnt get their hands on it, does?  A child or a criminal?

What if someone gets their hands on it? Really? There are counties where 95% of households have guns. I wonder what they do to prevent Apocalypse.

i am all for freedoms with firearms but the logic of being so accustomed to carrying that you forget about where your guns are is irresponsible. so in a free state you leave a gun in a bag and a kid finds it. Said child hurts self or someone else; is it a defense that you are so free with guns that you becoke irresponsible with them and lose respect for them. Then using things like that is ammunition for the grabbers. Know where your shit is at all times. Period

i am all for freedoms with firearms but the logic of being so accustomed to carrying that you forget about where your guns are is irresponsible. so in a free state you leave a gun in a bag and a kid finds it. Said child hurts self or someone else; is it a defense that you are so free with guns that you becoke irresponsible with them and lose respect for them. Then using things like that is ammunition for the grabbers. Know where your shit is at all times. Period

OK. So where is it happening? There are 100 million gun owners. (Actually, there are a lot more than that.) How many do you think are less responsible with firearms than you? 1 million? No, I think you are pretty responsible. 10 million? No, I think you are probably better than 10% of gun owners. 80 million? I would certainly venture a guess that you are more responsible than 80% of gun owners.Now, how many are really, really irresponsible. My guess is at least 25 million from what I have seen around the country.Where are the consequences? There really aren't many. Worry a lot more about teaching your kids to swim than what your neighbor does with his guns. It's like how people in NJ say we can't carry because of the population density. Or hunt with rifles because of the population density. Yet there is no place in NJ that has a higher population density within the maximum range of a rifle or pistol shot than a thousand other places around the country. Sounds like it makes sense, but apparently it's not such a big deal.It's like how obviously there would be blood in the streets if we allowed college students to carry. They are irresponsible, have casual sex, are generally drunk or on drugs, stressed out, get in a lot of fights. Yet, for some reason, there are millions doing so and it hasn't caused any problems.