Sign in to follow this  
le_boudin

Washington State Police can inspect your home if you are a gun owner

Forget police drones flying over your house. How about police coming inside, once a year, to have a look around? As Orwellian as that sounds, it isn’t hypothetical. The notion of police home inspections was introduced in a bill last week in Olympia.

That it’s part of one of the major gun-control efforts pains me. It seemed in recent weeks lawmakers might be headed toward some common-sense regulation of gun sales. But then last week they went too far. By mistake, they claim. But still too far.

“They always say, we’ll never go house to house to take your guns away. But then you see this, and you have to wonder.”

That’s no gun-rights absolutist talking, but Lance Palmer, a Seattle trial lawyer and self-described liberal who brought the troubling Senate Bill 5737 to my attention. It’s the long-awaited assault-weapons ban, introduced last week by three Seattle Democrats.

Responding to the Newtown school massacre, the bill would ban the sale of semi-automatic weapons that use detachable ammunition magazines. Clips that contain more than 10 rounds would be illegal.

But then, with respect to the thousands of weapons like that already owned by Washington residents, the bill says this:

“In order to continue to possess an assault weapon that was legally possessed on the effective date of this section, the person possessing shall ... safely and securely store the assault weapon. The sheriff of the county may, no more than once per year, conduct an inspection to ensure compliance with this subsection.”

In other words, come into homes without a warrant to poke around. Failure to comply could get you up to a year in jail.

http://seattletimes....tneat17xml.html

If this ever were to happen to me i will let them right in but i am also letting my boas out of the cage. I will find out really fast which cops are not comfortable with my large female who is about 10 feet long and agressive as hell.

Title is misleading, this is a bill not a law -- correct?

Article you posted also mentions:

(Note to readers: The link above is to a new version of SB 5737, which no longer contains the disputed provision. The original version of the bill has been erased from the state’s Web site, but here you can see it as it was proposed.)

I believe I read about a town in new york that inspects if you own more than 5 guns, but this crazy stuff will only get worse, limited by our willingness to draw a line in the sand while we still can, and no I dont feel we are best served by being polite and fearful of the thought that "they" are reading this.

If this ever were to happen to me i will let them right in but i am also letting my boas out of the cage. I will find out really fast which cops are not comfortable with my large female who is about 10 feet long and agressive as hell.

Haha love this!!

This is how I keep people out of my house I don't really like lol

A few of the idiots who sponsored the bill, admitted when asked, that they didn't read it and didn't know it was in there and that it would have to be changed.

How do you sponsor a bill that you don't know anything about? The idiocy never stops.

A few of the idiots who sponsored the bill, admitted when asked, that they didn't read it and didn't know it was in there and that it would have to be changed.

And it was only an 8-page bill. That's what, one, trip to the men's room after lunch?

If you don't have time to read an 8-page bill you need to gtfo and find a new job.