rtquig

How long are records kept?

I've first done a search, but can't find the answer, maybe I'm not putting in the correct wording.

When you buy a firearm in NJ and fill out the paperwork, does NJ keep this on file forever? Will they know who owns what by looking it up in their data base? I guess what I am asking is, IF these bans go through, are we on a list of some kind?

They know we are gun owners because of our SBI number, but how would they know how many, and what kind? I *think* the state police gets a record of all HANDGUN transfers, but for long guns all you fill out besides the federal 4473 form is the "certificate of eligibility". You keep one copy and I think the dealer keeps the other copy on file.

I am reasonably sure that the state doesn't have exact records of how many and what type of LONG GUNS we own, but i could be wrong. I am not a lawyer or expert.

I think when NICS is called in the FFL dealer gives the serial # and type of firearm being purchased or transferred.

Not sure if things have changed recently... But a year or so ago (last dealer purchase) the only info In regards to the firearm given to nics during the call was "handgun/long gun/other" as i observed when the call was placed in front of me.... But as mentioned the coe and dealers log book will have the specifics on the firearm....and we all know with the pistol permit..the copies are mailed to state police and issuing agency.....

As I understand it Nics only knows if it is a pistol or long arm. If its a pistol yes the state has a copy of who has what. As for the COE you get one copy and the seller keeps a copy and has to keep it "forever". If the dealer goes out of business all COE are turned over to the ATF. So if the really wanted the information it is out there somewhere. As for me I lost my collection when my boat went down in Hurricane Sandy.

All dealer records are kept forever by the dealer and when he goes out of business by ATF. I don't know who or how long COEs are kept. I don't think ATF wants them as they ar a state form. NJSP computerized handgun records going back to the 70s that I know of.

Not to worry, weren't yours all lost in that boating accident too? :D

It's the damnedest thing, there I was out in the ocean on a sunny day cleaning all my firearms when this rogue wave came along............ lucky to be alive to tell this tale!

Dealer retains all records forever. ATF gets the 4473s when the dealer goes out of business. I am not sure if NJ gets the COEs, but they always get the P2Ps.

Sent from my DROID4

I think when NICS is called in the FFL dealer gives the serial # and type of firearm being purchased or transferred.

Only if the NICS check is for a handgun exemption, otherwise the dealer doesn't give any specifics at the time of the NICS check.

Dealer retains all records forever. ATF gets the 4473s when the dealer goes out of business. I am not sure if NJ gets the COEs, but they always get the P2Ps.

Sent from my DROID4

Sounds like if I was a freedom loving dealer, I might have an unfortunate fire in my records department right before retiring.

Sounds like if I was a freedom loving dealer, I might have an unfortunate fire in my records department right before retiring.

Good way toi lose that freedom you love, and spend your retirement as a guest of the Federal DOC