Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

Police in Herkimer, NY jewelry store after deadly shooting spree

I can't figure out a motive here.

It doesn't mention that he actually stole anything. They seem to have his name figured out, it sounds like some kind of beef.

------------

http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2NR15nWZL

Police SWAT teams converged on a jewelry store in one of two upstate New York villages where four people were killed and at least two others wounded in separate shootings.

Authorities have identified the suspect as Kurt Meyers, 64, of Mohawk. He is considered armed and dangerous and still on the loose in Herkimer, police say.

Officials say guns and ammunition were found inside his apartment after emergency crews were sent to a fire there Wednesday morning.

The Utica Observer-Dispatch reports that police are focusing on Freddy's Jewelers on Main Street in Herkimer, where two people were fatally shot at a car wash and oil change business.

The newspaper reports that officials in the neighboring village of Mohawk, where two other people were killed in a barbershop, seem to think Meyers is still on foot somewhere.

Other reports suggest he may have been picked up by a taxi.

The two villages are about 65 miles east of Syracuse, on opposite sides of the Mohawk River in a region known as the Mohawk Valley.

The Observer-Dispatch reported that firefighters responded to a fire at an apartment building that is believed to be connected to the shooting. Police were seen removing about six long guns from the building.

Herkimer County Community College and local schools were on lockdown. The college sent an automated cellphone alert around 10:40 a.m., telling students and staff that there was an "active shooter" in the area.

The message identified the gunman as a man in his 60s, with a white beard and driving a red Jeep Cherokee. A text alert a few minutes later said the campus was on lockdown. Another alert advised people to remain inside buildings until further notice.

Amanda Viscomi, Herkimer's acting clerk-treasurer for the village of 7,700, told The Associated Press the shooting at Gaffey's happened a few blocks from village hall. She said she was told the shooter was at large and that state police, sheriff's deputies and other police were swarming the area.

"Everybody's on lockdown, all the schools, the college, the village," Viscomi said. "It's very, very scary."

Herkimer is named for the German immigrant family that settled in the western Mohawk Valley in the 1720s. The economically distressed villages are two miles away from Ilion, where a 2-century-old Remington Arms gun plant is a major employer.

I post this at every opportunity, and I'll do it here. Geez -- I hope the shootings weren't done using one of those big, black, ugly, scary modern sporting rifles that cuomo, bloomberg and their merry band of democratic maniacs are working so hard to ban. After all, with more laws on top of the old laws, I'm sure the street thugs will comply and gun violence will plummet.

I honestly don't get why they have to include the fact that a gun manufacturing plant is two miles away. Yes we get it, you don't like guns, but that literally has goddamn nothing to do with the current situation.

I honestly don't get why they have to include the fact that a gun manufacturing plant is two miles away. Yes we get it, you don't like guns, but that literally has goddamn nothing to do with the current situation.

Oh I FULLY understand why they do it.

They're lucky to have any manufacturing facility nearby. I have a house in nearby Fulton Count and unemployment is above 10%. If you can get a $15 an hour job your riding high on the hog.

My point is if they decrease the sales of guns then the factory decreases output and layoffs begin in a part of the country that needs every job it can get.

As some one said there was no point what so ever in mentioning the firearms manufacturing facility.

WTF is going on here....4 people dead and 2 injured. No motive as of yet. Guy torched his apartment before flipping out.

Oh...and guess what, 4 is the "magic" number to be classified as a "mass shooting". That's 3 so far in the first 3 months of 2013.

Seriously.....WTF is happening?

Oh I FULLY understand why they do it.

The same reason you will not here another peep on MSM about this POS.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2292418/Michael-Boysen-Police-capture-murder-suspect-killed-grandparents-hours-long-standoff-barricaded-motel-room.html

They found out that no guns were involved (DB stabbed his grandparents) so it doesn't play to the line.

The same reason you can't read any firearm related story with out reading about Newtown ("since Newtown", "like the one at Newtown") before the third paragraph.

The media knows exactly what they are doing. I'll bet everyone in the plant cringed when they heard the news. Remington IS Herkimer County. Without Remington, that area would dry up and blow away.

I post this at every opportunity, and I'll do it here. Geez -- I hope the shootings weren't done using one of those big, black, ugly, scary modern sporting rifles that cuomo, bloomberg and their merry band of democratic maniacs are working so hard to ban. After all, with more laws on top of the old laws, I'm sure the street thugs will comply and gun violence will plummet.

He was just hoping to get all his mayhem done before the laws went into effect. Otherwise the law would have prevented this violence.

And there he goes. We'll probably never know a motive.

------------------------------

Cops kill suspect in deadly N.Y. shooting rampage

Jon Campbell and Doug Stanglin, USA TODAY11:33a.m. EDT March 14, 2013

Police swarmed an abandoned building where the suspect was holed up overnight.

ap-us-upstate-ny-shootings-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?1b79b3da202957124496e3768cfb7b67cdb10c81

(Photo: Mike Groll AP)

HERKIMER, N.Y.— Police stormed an abandoned building on Main Street Thursday morning, fatally shooting a 64-year-old "loner" suspected of killing four people and wounding two others the previous day at a barber shop and a car wash.

The suspect, Kurt Myers, was killed after he fired on a tactical team as officers swarmed the shuttered Glory Days bar around 8 a.m. EST, New York State police superintendent Joseph D'Amico said.

State trooper Jack Keller said the basement shootout occurred after Myers, who had holed up in the building Wednesday afternoon, shot an FBI police dog.

myers_13-3_4_rx340.jpg?228a71852a22ff512d948fddff187818eb64a894The New York State Police released a photo of Kurt Myers, 64, the suspect in the killings of four people Wednesday in the villages of Herkimer and Mohawk in Upstate New York.(Photo: N.Y. State Police)

Gov. Andrew Cuomo said in a statement that no police were injured in the operation.

"We commend the courage and extraordinary efforts of the state police, the FBI, and local law enforcement officials in finding the suspect and ending this horrific spree of violence and bloodshed," Cuomo said. "It is now time for mourning those who we lost in this senseless act of violence."

D'Amico, who said police had no contact with the suspect since they exchanged gunfire at 1:30 p.m. EST Wednesday, told reporters that little is known about Myers, a local resident, other than he was "apparently a loner."

"We don't know the reason for his actions. We would hope that somewhere in the course of the investigation we learn more about him or what motivated him," D'Amico said

Myers' rampage started with a fire in his apartment in the nearby village of Mohawk on Wednesday morning. Police said he then shot two people dead and wounded two others at a barbershop around the corner before killing two more at a Herkimer oil change and car wash business.

The shootings shattered the peace and rattled the nerves of Mohawk and Herkimer, two small villages about 170 miles northwest of New York City, separated from each other by the Mohawk River and the New York State Thruway.

After searching the area for several hours, officers encountered a flurry of gunfire coming from the abandoned building.

gty_163625698-4_3_r541_c540.jpg?729ef1a5e3c69f5da0197e57e2bd3dd3fdfcd35fPolice officers walk down North Main Street away from the scene of a standoff with shooting suspect Kurt Meyers on March 13 in Herkimer, N.Y.(Photo: Brett Carlsen, Getty Images)

D'Amico said SWAT officers, snipers and an armored vehicle zeroed in the building, but vowed to wait out Myers until Thursday morning.

John Seymour, one of the men wounded in Myers shooting spree, told his sister, Mary Hornett, that the barbershop attack came out of nowhere.

"He just said that the guys were in the barbershop and this guy comes in and he says, 'Hi John, do you remember me?' and my brother said, 'Yes, Kurt, how are you?' and then he just started shooting," Hornett said.

Hornett said her brother, who was hospitalized in critical condition, was doing well after being shot in the left hand and right hip.

Herkimer, N.Y.

"My brother couldn't think of any reason why he would do such a thing," she said of Myers, a former customer who hadn't been in the shop for a couple of years.

Police identified those killed at the barbershop as Harry Montgomery, 68, of Mohawk, and Michael Ransear, 57, a retired prison guard from Herkimer. The shop owner, John Seymour, and a customer, Dan Haslauer, were listed in critical condition at St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Utica.

The victims at the oil-change shop were identified as employee Thomas Stefka, in his 60s, and Michael Renshaw, in his 40s, who was a 23-year veteran prison guard who worked at Mid-State Correctional Facility.

29906170001_2224248789001_thumb-5b55cfd6b5db0f082c0f6a7067007e76_r542_c540x304.jpg?436a289f03cde4e0ed45f12ec0d66270cf41bc9a

Police said Myers began the day about 9:30 a.m. by setting fire to his apartment in the rear of a three-unit building directly across the street from the police and fire departments. Firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 90 minutes.

Investigators found several weapons and ammunition inside, but police have not said whether they belonged to Myers.

Neighbors said they barely knew Myers, who rarely spoke, left every morning in his red Jeep and came back.

Traci Randall said the only time she remembers speaking to her next-door neighbor was when he yelled at her son because he thought he had shot an air pellet at his Jeep.

"He would walk by himself. He was kind of a loner. No wife," she said.

Neighbors said he never had visitors or friends. Gary Urich said Myers wouldn't even say as much as 'Hi' to him when walking by his porch.

"I said, 'How are you doing?' No response. He just walked by," he said.

Michele Mlinar, a bartender at Cangee's Bar and Grille in Herkimer, said Myers frequently went in and had a bottle or two of Coors Light and left without speaking to anyone. She said he was always alone and she didn't even know his name until police released his mugshot on Wednesday.

Cangee's owner Candy Rellin called Myers "just an odd little man."

"Everybody says 'Hi' and waves and has small talk all the time," said Fred Randall, 42, a retired Air Force technical sergeant whose home is next to Myers'. "But he would walk by, people would say 'Hi,' and he would never return the gesture."

A small church on the next block was set to host a prayer vigil Thursday evening.

Herkimer is a village of 7,700 named for the German immigrant family that settled in the western Mohawk Valley in the 1720s. The economically distressed villages are 2 miles away from Ilion, where a 2-century-old Remington Arms gun plant is a major employer.

Jon Campbell works for the Gannett Albany bureau. Contributing: Joseph Spector of the Gannett Albany Bureau; the Associated Press.[/indent]