Are non-LEO's permitted to own jacketed hallow point ammo or EFMJ? If not can anyone recommend home defense ammo I am permitted to own as well as transport to Pa., when visiting there as I'm getting my Utah CCW permit in about 60 days?

Are non-LEO's permitted to own jacketed hallow point ammo or EFMJ? If not can anyone recommend home defense ammo I am permitted to own as well as transport to Pa., when visiting there as I'm getting my Utah CCW permit in about 60 days?

The EFMJ should do you okay for Jersey. For now EMFJ is not considered HP ammo by NJ.

You can have HP ammo for use in home defense legally, you can transport them legally to a range for use. As long as you are "going to a range" in Pa you should be okay transporting from your house to the state line.

Legal in your home and during direct transport to an exempted location. You can transport them out of state.

The idea that hp ammo is illegal is a myth. It is restricted the same way handguns are restricted.

I was told when I bought the ammo, back in Nov. that we can keep at house but not permitted transport to the range (I wanted to run it through one mag). Today, while at my range, I was told I'm not even allowed to own it. So you are saying it is legal for be to transport it to Pa.( as per NJ law), carry it in my gun once in Pa. and then separate it and properly transport to my home once I cross back into NJ. ?

I was told when I bought the ammo, back in Nov. that we can keep at house but not permitted transport to the range (I wanted to run it through one mag). Today, while at my range, I was told I'm not even allowed to own it. So you are saying it is legal for be to transport it to Pa.( as per NJ law), carry it in my gun once in Pa. and then separate it and properly transport to my home once I cross back into NJ. ?

yeah

wha? :facepalm:

Read the stickies in full

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29389-nj-law-summary-read-first-nj-gun-law-faqs/

Eh, I'm not taking a chance with hollow points in NJ. Even though the law says one thing, if you shoot someone with it in self defense that could be something extra to "get" you on.

I agree completely. The law says I'm permitted to carry a gun at home, but I instead detail strip each one, and stick the frames in one safe, and the rest of the parts in a baggie in a second safe. Even though the law says I'm allowed to have them loaded and on my person, it's just something they could "get" me for.

A rule of thumb is never, ever get legal advice from a gun store. More often then not they have no clue what they're talking about, or blatantly lying. There are a lot of people that come on here asking about simple things that FFLs told them were illegal. Why? I don't know.

I agree completely. The law says I'm permitted to carry a gun at home, but I instead detail strip each one, and stick the frames in one safe, and the rest of the parts in a baggie in a second safe. Even though the law says I'm allowed to have them loaded and on my person, it's just something they could "get" me for.

You had me riled up for a second there!!!

I use Hornady Critical Defense Ammo, It performes like hollow point ammo without actually being "hollow point". Semantics.

Hollow Points are legal to own and shoot in NJ.

If you have a question regarding the confusing laws of the state read them for yourself. This takes a little time but gives you the information directly out of the written law. There are a lot of misunderstandings about this states' laws and it doesn't help when ignorant shop employees or ignorant fudd's start spewing uninformed crap from their mouths.

This Forum is a good place to look for information but it doesn't replace your personal responsibility to know the laws.

Imagine standing in front of a judge and using the excuse "MedicYeti said it was OK!"

Dumbest people ever--THIS is the sort of law that ALL firearms laws should cover, and frankly, I agree with: If you use them in commission of an actual crime, or are a "prohibited person", extra charges are tacked on. Same thing with bullet proof vests. For far too long we have people who think they "know" the laws, and feel the need to "educate" others on what is illegal that which is not. Sad part is that I've encountered many in LE who think the same thing. I'd like to think that if firearms are such a danger to society--the knowledge of firearms laws would trump everything else.

This is why I have a full copy of the NJ statutes loaded on my iPhone.

Also recommend a copy of Nappen's book--it covers just about everything

HAHA, that's funny!

Had me going for a second, there. Have you considered writing satirical pieces about gun laws for the newspaper?

If its "another" thing to get you for then youre already going for AggA, attempted murder, manslaughter, or murder anyway, what's another 4th degree....

Dumbest people ever--THIS is the sort of law that ALL firearms laws should cover, and frankly, I agree with:  If you use them in commission of an actual crime, or are a "prohibited person", extra charges are tacked on.  Same thing with bullet proof vests.  

There is no comparison. It is legal for me to drive around with a bullet proof vest in Jersey. It is a crime for me to drive around with a box of hollowpoints in Jersey. It is not a "tack on" if I commit a crime. Simply possessing hollowpoints in Jersey is a crime outside of specific circumstances. Please read the posts above you.