MosinRob

Place to skeet shoot

There is a state park up around high point nj where you can bring your own gear pull up and bust clay all day for free. Theres no trap houses or anything but its free.

Sorry the exact name of the park escapes me at the moment. There is also Thunder Mountain in Ringwood NJ thats all set up ,you can even rent shotguns there. I've shot at both places.

Both fun, Depends on what you are looking to do. I would warn beginners about going to the place on horseneck rd in fairfield. they are a snobbish

You can shoot trap here:

http://www.chestergame.org

It's in Chester, NJ right on 206N. That's probably 20mins south of you depending.

I'm hoping to get out there tomorrow night if I don't have to work late. I've never been there before but I hear it gets packed and shooting under huge football-stadium lights sounds pretty cool.

+1 for Thunder Mountain, real nice people there, owners and instructors/pullers. Skeet, trap, and practice field.

Really nice place overall.

I've been here a couple times. Been looking to go back soon, maybe this week.

http://www.northjers...targetclub.com/

That is a nice club...I live nearby and get there once or twice a month. They only have trap, though--no skeet.

Just went to Thunder Mountain yesterday to try skeet. It was awesome. I've done trap for the last few years and I've always wanted to try skeet.

Had a great time, and the "puller" was so patient and nice. Skeet is so much different than trap. I'll be going back again this week.

Also, you can do Trap up there too.

another +1 for thunder mountain.. Haven't been there in a long time, but it was always fun and relaxing time. First time i went with a bunch of friends, non of us ever touched a firearm before. For 18 bucks +tip we got 25 rounds and a shotgun, a personal RO puller, a quick safety lesson and some good instruction. We did the trap range on the way left side, is was easy and fun. I would say try trap first, you will love it, then try skeet.. It's no fun when you keep missing.

another +1 for thunder mountain.. Haven't been there in a long time, but it was always fun and relaxing time. First time i went with a bunch of friends, non of us ever touched a firearm before. For 18 bucks +tip we got 25 rounds and a shotgun, a personal RO puller, a quick safety lesson and some good instruction. We did the trap range on the way left side, is was easy and fun. I would say try trap first, you will love it, then try skeet.. It's no fun when you keep missing.

Just to add, IMO if you are new to shooting clays before you jump into trap and skeet, try your hand at the "practice" field. It's much simpler for a newbie. Thunder Mountain has 5 practice stands on the far right. I tried trap once and it was way to high speed for me, back to the practice field I went.

Just to add, IMO if you are new to shooting clays before you jump into trap and skeet, try your hand at the "practice" field. It's much simpler for a newbie. Thunder Mountain has 5 practice stands on the far right. I tried trap once and it was way to high speed for me, back to the practice field I went.

yeah, sorry i meant the right side not left.

This is great advice. Even though I've been up there several times now, I still enjoy the practice field, especially with my short barrelled HD shotguns.

Those also seem to work OK for skeet. But for trap, those clays get out there real quickly, so I use a SG with a 28" barrel.

Would you consider sporting clays, or are you set on skeet? Lehigh Valley has a beautiful sporting clays course.

I was just looking up that place. I am going to take the drive out next week. I want to try it out. Seems like an awesome time. Someone told me the scenery is really nice too.

I was just looking up that place. I am going to take the drive out next week. I want to try it out. Seems like an awesome time. Someone told me the scenery is really nice too.

There s a meetup there this saturday.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/52327-official-2013-njgf-lehigh-valley-sporting-clays-meet/