DirtyDigz

Costco - 24 gun Big Horn safe $569.99 delivered

http://www.costco.com/.product.11625662.html

BIGHORN 19ECB Safe

350-569035-847__1.jpg

oos350-569035-847__4.jpg

Fully adjustable and convertible interior allows you to increase or decrease shelf space depending on your own needs

Holds up to 24 long guns

Interior Dimensions: 57.5" H x 26.75" W x 14.75" D

Quality Upholstery

Predrilled for anchoring to the floor

Predrilled for dehumidifier (not included)

External hinge, fully opening door provides greater access than internal hinged designs limited to only 90 degrees of opening

Works as a decent gun cabinet and certainly keeps the kids out. Combined with a good home alarm will give you some time against a burglar if it's really bolted down well. Wouldn't trust serious valuables or a lot of cash in though. (fire or crime)

Works as a decent gun cabinet and certainly keeps the kids out. Combined with a good home alarm will give you some time against a burglar if it's really bolted down well. Wouldn't trust serious valuables or a lot of cash in though. (fire or crime)

why not?

I have the bigger one and very happy with it. Great customer service. They sent me a security upgrade, and when I screwed up the install and locked myself out, paid for the locksmith to drill the safe and sent me a new one without charge.

The amount of effort required by the locksmith gave me a lot of confidence in the security of the safe.

I'm not suggesting that this isn't a good safe, but to the point of one of the above posters I would not purchase an electronic safe. Right after Sandy I was talking to the contractor who was helping us gut my parents house and the army navy store and he had a terrible story about his best friend.

His friend lived in Green Island, one of the hardest hit area's of Toms River, and this guy had multiple electronic safe's in his garage that housed ten's of thousand's of dollar's worth of firearms. I don't know exactly what this guy had, but from what I was told alot of it was antique stuff that is not readily available anymore. Anyways - when the flood came the water was high enough to short out the safe(s) and he was unable to get any of his firearms out until a locksmith could come drill them open, several days later. By that time a good chunk of his collection was ruined.

I always leaned mechanical anyways, but this story solidified it.

Everybody has a price point.. This surely beats storing them in a closet...under a bed...or a gun cabinet. People with graffunders will always look down at ft knox owners...ft knox to liberty...liberty to mesa/bighorn safes...it all about what you can afford to protect your valuables.

The important part is that youve made the attempt to secure and protect your valuables

why not?

Because a professional burglar would be inside that cabinet in under two minutes if he gets it on it's back. It's a good gun cabinet that will keep kids out, but do not fool yourself into thinking it can replace a safe deposit box in a bank or a true high quality safe -- there is a reason why the same size from a high quality safe sells for 4k plus and it usually starts with thickness of the steel. Then at a $500 price point the fire rating is a real concern as well.

This video is of a $1000 model.

Most people do not take the step of encasing their safes into a frame or concrete...

Like I said-- the Costco unit makes a nice gun cabinet to keep the kids out, that's about it. I wouldn't store any more money in it than I could easily accept losing.

What could you use to store pistols on the inside of the door?

There's this: http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/B004MN8TRM

I have this: http://www.amazon.co...erty+door+panel

But it's a little too wide for the 19ECB door. I had to modify the straps a bit to keep it tight, otherwise the straps kept coming loose.

Also if you install the top shelf at any useful level and put handguns in the top pockets, you can't close the door.

There's this: http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/B004MN8TRM

I have this: http://www.amazon.co...erty+door+panel

But it's a little too wide for the 19ECB door. I had to modify the straps a bit to keep it tight, otherwise the straps kept coming loose.

Also if you install the top shelf at any useful level and put handguns in the top pockets, you can't close the door.

Thanks! I never really checked mine, but what is the inside of the safe door made of?

Because a professional burglar would be inside that cabinet in under two minutes if he gets it on it's back.

All the more reason to bolt it down and if possible, in a space where the opening side (left) is up against a wall to stave off prying leverage. I say again, there is a price point for every person. Some people are only looking to store a rifle or two..some cant afford to put away for a 4k safe that fits just as many long guns.

In my opinion, the video above is bias because it is a controlled experiment with all variables favoring the crooks. I would expect these gents are well versed in forcing safes, not bolted to the ground, plenty of room for the would be crooks to work with a wide safe plus room for to guys prying.

Read up on the products and its reviews before you purchase. Know your spending limit.. if you can stretch it further great. A smash and grab burglar should be deterred by the work involved trying to pry the cheaper safes properly secured. But most importantly.. a motivated thief will find a way to take or break into anything you have if given the time to operate.

All the more reason to bolt it down and if possible, in a space where the opening side (left) is up against a wall to stave off prying leverage. I say again, there is a price point for every person. Some people are only looking to store a rifle or two..some cant afford to put away for a 4k safe that fits just as many long guns.

In my opinion, the video above is bias because it is a controlled experiment with all variables favoring the crooks. I would expect these gents are well versed in forcing safes, not bolted to the ground, plenty of room for the would be crooks to work with a wide safe plus room for to guys prying.

And when bolting down, if possible, try to go through the floor with bolts, nuts and large washers through an small added joist. The bolts they give you can be pulled out by a strong ten year old if screwed down into plywood sub-flooring.

RubberBullets: Whether the video is bias or not, the cabinet was breached in under two minutes. Doesn't bode well if a crook has 10 minutes or more to attempt prying. I understand everyone has a price point. What I wanted to convey is that people shouldn't think these $500 safes are anything more than safe storage to protect children from guns and items they can AFFORD to lose... that's all. If combined with a home security system it should at least put most bad guys on a clock. For true security people have to start by purchasing a safe that is tool-resistant and even then you have different levels. All of these $500 to $1000 safes are not that.