MonmouthShooter

Noob question, never shot a shotgun before.

I just picked up my first shotgun this weekend. I bought the Mossberg 535 with a 28" smooth and a 24" rifled barrel. I bought this particular model because I am planning on using it to hunt (eventually). For now, I just want to learn how to shoot it.

So now it's time to go and try it out. But the question is where? I shoot my handguns at the Brick Armory, but do not know if they allow shotguns. I do not know where I can go to shoot it outdoors either. So I am kinda stuck.

So here are the total noob questions (sorry if I sound stupid, cause that's how I feel right now):

Where can I go and practice shoot a shotgun?

What shells should I use for practice?

if anyone here hunts with their shotguns, what ammo do you use to hunt with? Slug (kind?), Buck (Kind?)

Any other beginner tips appreciated!

It's a shotgun. Shooting it on an indoor range is just wrong...

Find the nearest trap field, get some cheap target loads (they're about the only ammo that is easy to find right now), and go have fun! I'm not sure which field is closest to you, but most are very accommodating of beginners. If they're not busy, you can ask that they set the thrower to throw only straightaways until you get the hang of them, then you can start working on the random angles.

Most ranges let you shoot buckshot or slugs but not birdshot. Best way to practice is get a friend with a thrower and hit up one if the wmas around the state. You are more then welcome to meet me at Clinton one day but I'm sure you aren't that close. I reload now for shotguns but for target loads I would usually get whatever was cheapest ie gun clubs or top shot. For hunting ammo I am no help because I haven't hunted yet but next season I will be going out my first time. I reload my own #8 target loads and #1 buckshot for hd

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

Shooting a shotgun indoors with birdshot is pointless, you wont learn a thing.

If you or anybody in your shooting group has a valid hunting license you can shoot for free at any state WMA, you need to bring thrower and clays and shoot #6 shot or smaller (maybe #7.5 or smaller, I forget). Either way, your common bird shot sizes are all OK (#7.5, #8)

Shooting a shotgun indoors with birdshot is pointless, you wont learn a thing.

If you or anybody in your shooting group has a valid hunting license you can shoot for free at any state WMA, you need to bring thrower and clays and shoot #6 shot or smaller (maybe #7.5 or smaller, I forget). Either way, your common bird shot sizes are all OK (#7.5, #8)

Thanks for that info! I already have my "field day" scheduled for my hunting license. Once I get the license, I will head out to WMA. Cant wait! For now, will stick to the indoor range.

Can you give me some info about that?

Every month we go to the Clinton wma and just blast clays for hours. It's very informal and probably the best way to immerse your self in the general mechanics of a shotgun. If you can't hit a clay then good luck hitting a deer or a bird. We just had it last week but the next one will be soon. I usually go 3-4 times a month just to practice so if you want to take a ride I'm sure we could get a few members together

Every month we go to the Clinton wma and just blast clays for hours. It's very informal and probably the best way to immerse your self in the general mechanics of a shotgun. If you can't hit a clay then good luck hitting a deer or a bird. We just had it last week but the next one will be soon. I usually go 3-4 times a month just to practice so if you want to take a ride I'm sure we could get a few members together

I will PM you.

+1 on the Clinton Shotgun Shootouts. Great venue to learn, ask questions and have fun. I've shot the shottie at the Bullet Hole without issue using slugs, bird shot and buck. RTSP only allows slugs I believe. You're free to tag along the next time I go to EFGA and spend some time in the pit.

Make sure you check out the next shotgun shoot out in Clinton. All skill levels and a great group more than willing to help out. Get some instruction and a few pointers and you will be dusting your first clays in no time. A nice bonus is there is a great variety of shotguns to check out. Last month there was everything from brand new to a black powder 10gauge.

Much like MonmouthShooter, I also very recently purchased my first shotgun. It is a Mossberg 12 gauge, model #50668 (590-Special Purpose,8+1, ghost-ring sights, speedstock, 20" barrel). Have not fired it as yet. Would love to meetup with one or more of you at some point in the future. No doubt your guidance would be most valuable and appreciated. In the meantime, I plan to go BA first thing in the morning and have my first experience with it. Am certainly curious(and a bit apprehensive) to feel what the recoil will be like.

regards, Art (Middletown, N.J.)

Much like MonmouthShooter, I also very recently purchased my first shotgun. It is a Mossberg 12 guage, model #50668. Have not fired it as yet. Would love to meetup with one or more of you at some point in the future. No doubt your guidance would be most valuable and appreciated. In the meantime, I plan to go BA first thing in the morning and have my first experience with it. Am certainly curious(and a bit apprehensive) to feel what the recoil will be like.

regards, Art (Middletown, N.J.)

My offer to monmouth is for anyone who wants To join. Just need a time and date set up