mikelets456

Firearms application reference sheet and notary requirement?

My goodness I'm filling out a character reference sheet for my friend and besides some of these unbelievable questions, it says it has to notarized....really?

It also asks about physical defects? Wth does that mean? Isn't that considered profiling and its ironic how un-politically correct that is for a government agency. This sheet is a pathetic joke and I for one find it insulting.

Anyway, can someone confirm notaries are now required for me to do....

That is strange, when I did one a few weeks ago I did not have to have it notarized. The entire form is a joke as there is no way you would know some of the information even for a super close friend if they did not want you to know it.

I have not heard any new news making this a requirement, it's probably just the city or chief making up their own rules.

It says all references must be notarized. I thought the police did it but I guess not. This is just another way to make it a pain in the butt and discourage honest citizens from getting firearms.

It says all references must be notarized. I thought the police did it but I guess not. This is just another way to make it a pain in the butt and discourage honest citizens from getting firearms.

None of my references letters had to be notarized, nor any of the ones I have filled out for friends in Bergen or Hudson County. This is not a new rule just one being made up police departments and chiefs who want to make it as hard as possible for civilians to own guns.

Don't get it notarized contact NJ2AS or NJSP either one should be able tell local leos that they aren't allowed to make up new rules.

Statutorily illegal - it's an added requirement. Up to you and the friend for whom it is being completed, how far you want to push it.

This. Unfortunately there really isn't any recourse against these criminals.

None of my references letters had to be notarized, nor any of the ones I have filled out for friends in Bergen or Hudson County. This is not a new rule just one being made up police departments and chiefs who want to make it as hard as possible for civilians to own guns.

Don't get it notarized contact NJ2AS or NJSP either one should be able tell local leos that they aren't allowed to make up new rules.

I just filled one out for a friend 2 days ago........No Notary requested or needed.......Must be a local PD trying to bend the rules!

Just another example of NJ's ongoing anti-gun agenda. NJ has a history of looking the other way and allowing PD's to enact whatever requirements they want to when it comes to firearms licensing or purchasing.

We as good citizens follow the law as written... the problem is, NJ keeps changing the interpretation whenever they feel like it and in the end we're in trouble no matter what we do.

IMO: At the least.... we need to have a Firearms Ombudsman in NJ. One that is not politically appointed or motivated. Someone we can go to if we have a complaint or want clarification on existing NJ firearms law. Someone who has the actual power to rectify our problems in a timely and just manner.

< I am not a fan of more government... but we need someone who is impartial and will listen to us. I'm tired of talking to our deaf and dumb politicians. >

Edited by johnott

Sounds like a Cherry Hill (Camden County) reference I filled out for a friend.

The one I filled out was for Stratford, NJ (Camden County). If this were a new state requirement, All counties would be making the same request.

This proves that some jurisdictions are adding their own additional requirements in violation of PRNJ statutes.

My insurance co will notarize anything I bring to them free...I am new here, but it seems there are some here who have known each other for a year or two....use yer fellow gun owners as references, and the notary thing is just a nuiscance, not an obstacle....no?

My goodness I'm filling out a character reference sheet for my friend and besides some of these unbelievable questions, it says it has to notarized....really?

It also asks about physical defects? Wth does that mean? Isn't that considered profiling and its ironic how un-politically correct that is for a government agency. This sheet is a pathetic joke and I for one find it insulting.

Anyway, can someone confirm notaries are now required for me to do....

Your friend wouldn't happen to live in Cherry Hill, does he? Cherry Hill has been doing that for the past 2 years. It's illegal and NJ2AS will get to them eventually.

Your friend wouldn't happen to live in Cherry Hill, does he? Cherry Hill has been doing that for the past 2 years. It's illegal and NJ2AS will get to them eventually.

Yes, he does live in Cherry Hill,NJ. It also asks it I've ever shot with him. Is he qualified to us a firearm? His marital status?Character of applicant?What is his/her reason they want a firearm?

Seriously? These questions are demeaning, insulting and obviously an "infringement" on one's rights. The thing that stinks, is you either comply or don't get a firearm....I don't recall the 2A being implemented in such a fashion. Also, do these Marxists actually believe criminals will go through this process to get a firearm? It's so obvious what they're doing and at some point they need to be "infringed" for these illegal and unconstitutional infractions.

Yes, he does live in Cherry Hill,NJ. It also asks it I've ever shot with him. Is he qualified to us a firearm? His marital status?Character of applicant?What is his/her reason they want a firearm?

Seriously? These questions are demeaning, insulting and obviously an "infringement" on one's rights. The thing that stinks, is you either comply or don't get a firearm....I don't recall the 2A being implemented in such a fashion. Also, do these Marxists actually believe criminals will go through this process to get a firearm? It's so obvious what they're doing and at some point they need to be "infringed" for these illegal and unconstitutional infractions.

About a year ago or so my friend used me as a reference for his Red Bank firearms purchaser identification card, I was actually called into the police department for an interview for the reference form. Nothing surprises me in this state anymore.

About a year ago or so my friend used me as a reference for his Red Bank firearms purchaser identification card, I was actually called into the police department for an interview for the reference form. Nothing surprises me in this state anymore.

Meanwhile I did mine through NJSP directly (no town police here) and all they did was call my references and have a quick chat with them.

Meanwhile I did mine through NJSP directly (no town police here) and all they did was call my references and have a quick chat with them.

I also neglected to mention I live an hour away from Red Bank, so I had to literally clear my morning schedule just to make the drive down to talk with the detective for fifteen minutes. facepalm.gif

I was a reference for someone in Clifton Nj and I had to write an essay on why i thought they were Ok to own a fire arm. I did 4 different towns reference letters last year and all 4 were different and 1 wanted it notorized, on a side note the refernce letter i did for a friend in North Bergen I had to do 3 times, they kept claiming they lost it or didn't rcieve it. On the 3rd time I sent it certified mail, I gave him the info that they recieved it and when he called they said they never got it, he replied oh yea you signed for it yesterday at 9:35am miraculously it appeared right there while on the phone with him, took him 7 months for a change of address and the best part was he knew the cop processing the paperwork

I also neglected to mention I live an hour away from Red Bank, so I had to literally clear my morning schedule just to make the drive down to talk with the detective for fifteen minutes. facepalm.gif

My references are in West Caldwell. The NJSP firearms unit is in Trenton... I doubt they'd be calling them to drive all the way down.

They also made me provide two stamped envelopes but IIRC they did not use them.

At some point they'll visit the house of the references...I would NOT put it past this state.

Really? What did they ask him? I'm sure he was not treated as a criminal because it was for the safety of the collective...oh boy. :(

It was a "friendly" visit by the detective to just go over the questions on the reference form. Pretty intrusive IMO.

My friend filled out an application for additional permits recently so I'll see whether or not they're doing the same thing still a year later since I'm one of his references again.