Tactical Turtle

PORK ROLL or TAYLOR HAM!?

379 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the delicious manufactured pork product indigenous to NJ?

• Pork roll
    • Taylor ham

You know, I finally have to say that with all these breakfast samplings I have yet to hear two words: "Orange juice." None of those breakfasts for me would be complete without it. The guy who helped invent the atom bomb and went on to help diagram quantum field theory agrees with me!

20 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I have yet to hear two words: "Orange juice."

And that's because the right beverage to enjoy with one's Taylor Ham, Egg & Cheese (oh, and that's on a sesame seed bagel, natch) is: iced coffee. I have nothing against orange juice, mind you. It's a fine and tasty beverage. Though I'm not sure the video accompaniment you so thoughtfully provided is actually leaning me more towards or away from OJ now...

That is one odd video. God bless the Internet.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Black coffee. Hot. 

That is all.

Once again... you're on the wrong side of history... wrong on so many counts. It's almost disheartening. It must be iced, sweetened, and served up with ample creamer. :air_kiss:

• FacePalm 1
  • Disagree 1

21 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Once again... you're on the wrong side of history... wrong on so many counts. It's almost disheartening. It must be iced, sweetened, and served up with ample creamer. :air_kiss:

IMG_8375.gif

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

That is one odd video. God bless the Internet.

And he was one true genius. Who at least knew not all the fun in life was inside of physics. Look him up some time if you care too.

One physicist who worked with him (I think it was either Hans Bethe or Freeman Dyson) put it this way (I'm paraphrasing):

"When a magician pulls a rabbit out of a hat and you see it, you're not sure how he did it but you can see how he got there. With Feynman, when he offered a conclusion, you had absolutely no idea how he arrived there. But you instinctively knew he was right."

He also played the bongos, which drove Edward Teller crazy while at Los Alamos.

• Informative 1

He was never identified in the movie Oppenheimer, but there were two scenes with a character playing bongos in the background...so there was at least a reference to Feynman in the movie.

In the source book American Prometheus, Feynman figured prominently...as he should have.

• Informative 1

OK, at the risk of subjecting Pork Roll Tayor Ham breakfast meat to quantum analysis...

The quote I referenced was by Mark Kac, a mathematician, and I did not do justice at all to the original:

In science, as well as in other fields of human endeavor, there are two kinds of geniuses: the “ordinary” and the “magicians.” An ordinary genius is a [person] that you and I would be just as good as, if we were only many times better. There is no mystery as to how his mind works. Once we understand what he has done, we feel certain that we, too, could have done it. It is different with the magicians. They are, to use mathematical jargon, in the orthogonal complement of where we are and the working of their minds is for all intents and purposes incomprehensible. Even after we understand what they have done, the process by which they have done it is completely dark. They seldom, if ever, have students because they cannot be emulated and it must be terribly frustrating for a brilliant young mind to cope with the mysterious ways in which the magician’s mind works.

Also, The Physicist As Magician - TIME

Perhaps this explains the breakfast conundrum: the meat we all like so much exists in a two-state Hilbert space where, every time we chew it, flips to its previous incarnation. Pork Roll, Taylor Ham, in constant harmony.

2 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Perhaps this explains the breakfast conundrum: the meat we all like so much exists in a two-state Hilbert space where, every time we chew it, flips to its previous incarnation. Pork Roll, Taylor Ham, in constant harmony.

Schrödinger's breakfast 'meat'.   So long as the box is sealed, it exists simultaneously as both Taylor ham and pork roll.  Only when the package is opened does it revert to a state of one or the other.

Which one it reverts to depends on where in the state the package is opened.

• Haha 1