Red Solo Cup

Bloomberg Citibike program starts

I meant work in the city and commute pretty much daily.  I gotta go from Penn Station up to Midtown to my office and different clients.  Walking takes too long sometimes too.  A monthly unlimited subway/bus pass is $112 now.. yearly Citi Bike is $95.

I'm seriously debating it....

Can you ride a Bloomberg Citibike to go get a large soda?  Or is there something in the rental agreement that prohibits, er, protects you from doing so?

And his name shouldn't be attached to the project (well, maybe if it fails...).  Other cities have had these for some time; it's not like he came up with the concept.

Oh stop it. =)  Pretty much every bank had paid back all of the Tarp Money, and the US Taxpayers made out billons on it.

I personally think this program is good for New York.   Better bike rentals over more cars.  More revenue for the city, which means less money should come from others. 

Why are the bikes so heavy though?

taxpayers made billions????

right.

meanwhile savers suck on 0% rates to keep the banks intact with mark to fantasy accounting.

and jack lew just happens to be the best man for the job too.

if only Abenomics hadn't hit stall speed the bubble was doing quite nicely.

guess they didn't print hard enough.

best wishes(all in good fun)

LOL

I've come round  to being a long term deflationist.

SImply because of the open door immigration policy if nothing else (and open door globalization policy in the other direction for big corporate jobs).

Labor simply cannot get any traction except for artificial means such as minimum wage or unions.

However pricing labor above its economic value is just a stopgap strategy...finger in the dike.

Seems like a good idea but riding a bike in the city is dangerous. You have to be very aware of what's going on. When I think of this program I imagine some tourist just cruising along staring up at the pretty lights and WHACK! Game over. Hopefully it works out better than that. 

In my very limited experience riding a bike in Manhattan I found  the biggest danger is pedestrians.  When I was walking I was suprised that EVERYONE j-walks, and soon I was aggressively j-walking  too.  When I was on a bike I found the other vehicular traffic--having been conditioned to pedestrian traffic--was pretty courteous.  But cyclists get no respect from pedestrians, even in dedicated bike lanes!

I think cycling is a great way to get around any metropolitan area quickly and cheap.  You just need to understand the rules of the road, which are basically identical to the rules for motorized vehicular traffic.  I believe the vast majority of accidents arise from cyclists who think they can ignore the rules and run red lights, go the wrong way, ride between lanes and ride in pedestrian rights of way.  Cycling for transportation works pretty well in Tokyo and just about every area of Japan, as well as the Netherlands and many other places worldwide.

bikes seem to be a hit, I've seen a bunch of them in midtown. also just witnessed a near miss as two women almost get squashed by a bus turning off of 5th onto 42nd

It's kinda simple to me though - stay off the MAIN STREETS duh.  the avenues you can't really avoid too much but there are some that are less crowded than others.  The Cross streets though - why would you try to go on 34th, 42nd, 57th, etc.

Can you ride a Bloomberg Citibike to go get a large soda?  Or is there something in the rental agreement that prohibits, er, protects you from doing so?

And his name shouldn't be attached to the project (well, maybe if it fails...).  Other cities have had these for some time; it's not like he came up with the concept.

I would think with your citibike frequent rider card, you would be able to upgrade to a large capacity assault beverage. 

I commute through port authority and work on third ave in the 50s. I hate the subway and walk every day except in a downpour when I take a bus. I think the bike program is a great idea and signed up for the annual plan which is dirt cheap if you use the bikes regularly. As far as I'm concerned cars should be banned from midtown and cabs severely restricted from 8 to 7. It's a small enoug area to walk, to take public transportation or a bike. I can't stand bloomy but this was a good idea even if it has some kinks to work out. Got to start somewhere.

Cost structure is terrible for someone like myself who would maybe have a use for it 3 or 4 times a year. 10 bucks for a half hour or so? Get real, cheaper to get a cab. For people who are going to use it frequently, the annual price is a steal

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Cost structure is terrible for someone like myself who would maybe have a use for it 3 or 4 times a year. 10 bucks for a half hour or so? Get real, cheaper to get a cab. For people who are going to use it frequently, the annual price is a steal

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It is ten bucks for the whole day. Unlimited rides of up to 30 minutes. Come to the city for the day, get a day pass and a bike. Ride to Chinatown, dock the bike. Shop. Eat lunch. Go back and get another bike. Ride to the west village for a latte or some shit. Dick the bike. Come back an hour later and get another bike. Go where you want. Stations are all over below 59th street.

That beats a cab hands down. Just be careful. Follow traffic laws and don't hot dog. Highest probability you will be fine. The only people I've seen get doored or drilled are guys who tear ass through traffic and do dangerous stuff. You're not going to be able to ride these like a carbon fiber fixie.

I'd do it but my office is in a vortex where the walk from the dock is half the distance I walk from penn anyway. If I move job locations, I will def do it.

Krdshrk -- haven't gotten my package with the key yet.  Expect it any day and will let you know as soon as I try it out.  I plan on sticking to the bike lanes wherever possible, although it is obviously still somewhat risky.  There is a separate bike lane that goes north up 8th avenue and 7th ave has a separate bike lane going downtown.  There are several cross streets (one being 54th and I believe 48th as well) that are designated as "bike share" lanes".    Of course the cabbies couldn't give 2 sh*ts but at least there are signs posted.

The cost structure is terrible for short term use -- seems designed for tourists.  But $100 for the year is a great deal even if you only use it 20 times. If it works out I will use it most days the weather is decent.

I am enjoying the irony.

A decade ago, Beijing was a biker's paradise.  Not because it was healthy, but because people couldn't afford cars.  Today, cars are still prohibitively expensive, but a rising middle and upper class has taken over the roads.  Try to rent a bike in Beijing, and people look at you like you are crazy, not just because competing with cars is dangerous, but the air is terrible.

Mind you I like the idea of biking in Manhattan: Only time I want to be driving in Manhattan is when I'm driving THROUGH it to get to Long Island or Connecticut.  But 30-45mins seems silly.  It should be 2-3 hours.

I would like a bike/pedestrian only bridge or tunnel connecting NJ and NY.  Though I'm not sure if I'd bike over or use  a Segway.