Sign in to follow this  
Sonnylee

Reloading books for beginners

Does anyone want to part with any reloading books such as "the ABC's of reloading" or any other.

Also looking for the Lyman's edition of reloading for metallic cartridges.

If so please let me know maybe we can work something out. Money or trade..

Just got my 650 with all the whistles and bells and want to make sure on the methods of loading metallic.

I've loaded shotgun ammo for years but never metallic, so I want to start from the beginning.

Well thats diving into the pool before learning how to swim. A 650 is a great press but a bit excessive for a beginner. Shotshell and metallic reloading, while the concept is similar, it's really nothing alike. There are far more variables involved when making a metallic cartridge. For instance, COAL makes a huge difference for the pressure of a round where as that's not really a concern for shot shell.

I would read the manuals over a few times and use the press for 1 round at a time until you get really comfortable watching 5 stations simultaneously.

Do yourself a favor go buy a lee Reloader press "C" frame (single stage press) for $35 it accepts standard 7/8 by 14 dies, If ya don't have a stand alone powder measure get the Lee Perfect powder measure for about $20-$25 and ya can ease yer way into the world of reloading.

Yea and what he said about readin in the 2nd post, go get a couple books. The Lee 2nd edition reloading book is a great read although a little embellishing on the lee products, It still has excellent info and volumes of load data from all the powder manufacturers.

Does anyone want to part with any reloading books such as "the ABC's of reloading" or any other.

Also looking for the Lyman's edition of reloading for metallic cartridges.

If so please let me know maybe we can work something out. Money or trade..

Just got my 650 with all the whistles and bells and want to make sure on the methods of loading metallic.

I've loaded shotgun ammo for years but never metallic, so I want to start from the beginning.

Good for you! A 650 is a fine machine.

Start off slow and pay attention.

I started with a 650 and have no regrets.

Get some good reloading manuals and a chrono to test your ammo.

I recomend getting as many books as possible lots of data is good.

I currently have 10 load books that are cartridge specificplus, lee 2nd edition, lyman 49th, lyman cast book, sierra, 2 hornady books, speer, nosler, many hodgen books, plus all the data books available from each powder manufacturer along with the digital copies. I also PU the magazine Handloader, they usually have great articles on relaodeing and specific data on different rounds.

If your able to get only one book now get a Lee 2nd edition, it goes through the entire process of relaoding and has many tips like the ABCs of reloading but it doubles as a very in depth load manual.

I would check every book store you run into especially used ones and at gunshops for the older manuals also lots of good info especially if you are into some older cartridges.

The 650 you purchased is fine for a starter press just do one round at a time and learn and understand each step before you jump in balls deep progressive.

I do recomend a single stage for smaller batches and some case prep work. There will always be a need now or in the future where you wish you had a SS press, IMO.

Buy once, cry once.....wish I did that......

Careful with old reloading manuals.....powders that are available today, that were available yesterdyear, have more power to them, and with using 'old' data, you're likely to get the type of 'bang' that will ruin a good day, and a good gun.....

....that being said......

when I started out reloading, I found it overwhelming with all the information in all the different books.....an old man told me to ignore all those books, figure out what I'm gonna reload first, figure out how I'm gonna use what I reloaded, then read some books that reference what I'm gonna reload, and how I'm gonna use what I reloaded.

If I'm looking to hit steel plates with pistol rounds where a 'hit' is a 'hit' and a 'miss' is a 'miss', that's one thing.....bullseye is another......action pistol is another........long range rifle is another.........

That's my experience, you're mileage may vary.

Buy once, cry once.....wish I did that......

Careful with old reloading manuals.....powders that are available today, that were available yesterdyear, have more power to them, and with using 'old' data, you're likely to get the type of 'bang' that will ruin a good day, and a good gun.....

....that being said......

when I started out reloading, I found it overwhelming with all the information in all the different books.....an old man told me to ignore all those books, figure out what I'm gonna reload first, figure out how I'm gonna use what I reloaded, then read some books that reference what I'm gonna reload, and how I'm gonna use what I reloaded.

If I'm looking to hit steel plates with pistol rounds where a 'hit' is a 'hit' and a 'miss' is a 'miss', that's one thing.....bullseye is another......action pistol is another........long range rifle is another.........

That's my experience, you're mileage may vary.

Definitely know that already, I'm very familiar with the current loading data available compared to yesterday's, just wanted more of a beginner book to sharpen my skills and knowledge about metallic loading.

Wasn't sure that the ABC book was all that good so rather than buy it first I would have reviewed it.

Anyway, I'm listening and absorbing everyone's good advise, greatly appreciated!

I recomend getting as many books as possible lots of data is good.

I currently have 10 load books that are cartridge specificplus, lee 2nd edition, lyman 49th, lyman cast book, sierra, 2 hornady books, speer, nosler, many hodgen books, plus all the data books available from each powder manufacturer along with the digital copies. I also PU the magazine Handloader, they usually have great articles on relaodeing and specific data on different rounds.

If your able to get only one book now get a Lee 2nd edition, it goes through the entire process of relaoding and has many tips like the ABCs of reloading but it doubles as a very in depth load manual.

I would check every book store you run into especially used ones and at gunshops for the older manuals also lots of good info especially if you are into some older cartridges.

The 650 you purchased is fine for a starter press just do one round at a time and learn and understand each step before you jump in balls deep progressive.

I do recomend a single stage for smaller batches and some case prep work. There will always be a need now or in the future where you wish you had a SS press, IMO.

I have the ABC's.  I could lend you that for as long as you need it.   I have the Lymans also but I use that a lot as a reference.

The ABC is the one i want to read, that will do...all others i have or will order ( load data).

Thanks ill PM you.

How is "The Beginner's Guide to Reloading Ammunition"? 

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guide-Reloading-Ammunition-ebook/dp/B00B52LFJC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1370663079&sr=8-9&keywords=abc%27s+of+reloading

Apparently that and the ABC's of reloading are available for "lend" from the amazon prime lending library.