Pizza Bob

ATTENTION: Those Looking for Revolvers / PSA

Made a little run this morning to three PA gun stores (Surplus City, Classic Pistol and Tanners).

SC...

Had two interesting model 10's. They were both 5-screw frames. One was nickel and the other was blued. Both 4" pencil barrels. The nickel gun was older than the blued one - had a narrow hammer. The nickel gun also had faux stag grips. The nickel was not in bad shape. I think the blued gun was the better value. Had the more modern hammer spur. The only wear evident was some minimal holster wear at the muzzle. Not even any wear on the leading edge of the cylinder and a very light turn line. It had Hogue rubber monogrip on it. I think there was only a $10 difference between the two. One was $279 and the other was $289 - don't remember which was which.

CP...

Had a stainless 4", 6-shot 686. It was either a Pro or the SSR as it had the slab sided barrel and the ejector rod housing, rather than a full underlug. Used - $679. For you masochists out there, they also had a used 329PD - which is a 25 oz. .44 Magnum. Great if you are going into bear country - otherwise, not so much. IIRC the price was $869, but don't hold me to that.

Tanners...

A couple big buck Colts. A nickel Python at $1600+ and a blued King Cobra at $799.

Good hunting.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: Saw two 686+ 3" barreled guns. One at SC and one at CP. Don't remember $$$$.

Thanks for sharing Bob. I've got a soft eye open for a 686 SSR similar to what you just described. I assume typical process. Look at it, pay for it and have it transferred to local FFL? Wait a month for NICS to clear based on you having a PP already?

Made a little run this morning to three PA gun stores (Surplus City, Classic Pistol and Tanners).

SC...

Had two interesting model 10's. They were both 5-screw frames. One was nickel and the other was blued. Both 4" pencil barrels. The nickel gun was older than the blued one - had a narrow hammer. The nickel gun also had faux stag grips. The nickel was not in bad shape. I think the blued gun was the better value. Had the more modern hammer spur. The only wear evident was some minimal holster wear at the muzzle. Not even any wear on the leading edge of the cylinder and a very light turn line. It had Hogue rubber monogrip on it. I think there was only a $10 difference between the two. One was $279 and the other was $289 - don't remember which was which.

CP...

Had a stainless 4", 6-shot 686. It was either a Pro or the SSR as it had the slab sided barrel and the ejector rod housing, rather than a full underlug. Used - $679. For you masochists out there, they also had a used 329PD - which is a 25 oz. .44 Magnum. Great if you are going into bear country - otherwise, not so much. IIRC the price was $869, but don't hold me to that.

Tanners...

A couple big buck Colts. A nickel Python at $1600+ and a blued King Cobra at $799.

Good hunting.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: Saw two 686+ 3" barreled guns. One at SC and one at CP. Don't remember $$$$.

How did the King Cobra look? Worth the asking price?

Thanks for sharing Bob. I've got a soft eye open for a 686 SSR similar to what you just described. I assume typical process. Look at it, pay for it and have it transferred to local FFL? Wait a month for NICS to clear based on you having a PP already?

That would be correct. I wouldn't dawdle - CP has lots of traffic and fast turnover.

How did the King Cobra look? Worth the asking price?

Not a Colt person (duh!), but it looked to be in really nice shape - pristine, but I didn't handle it and only looked at it through the glass.

@mrg55 - They may work with you, but if you are thinking about the model 10's, it's doubtful. In these times when it is hard just to maintain inventory, the likelihood of any discounting is slim to none. I don't know where you are, but if you were going to use Lincoln Park TruValue hardware as your transfer agent, SC already has their FFL on file.

@the_stranger - I don't believe there is a difference between a satin or matte finish. Regardless, I don't remember. A lot of the pro series are polished, but couldn't say about that one.

Good hunting.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

SC...

CP...

Tanners...

Good hunting.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What's your take on a Colt Peacemaker .357? I heard some Colt collectors have referred these guns  as a poor man's Python without the quality fit and finish.  These have a matte blue finish which I am not crazy about. I like the deep shiny blue much better. 

What's your take on a Colt Peacemaker .357? I heard some Colt collectors have referred these guns  as a poor man's Python without the quality fit and finish.  These have a matte blue finish which I am not crazy about. I like the deep shiny blue much better.

Kind of apples & oranges. Any Colt SAA has pretty much reached collector status. I don't think I've seen one under $1200 for some time. If you are a hardcore Cowboy/SASS shooter you might actually use a Colt as a shooter, but there are so many other stouter SA revolvers that would better fill the bill, why spend the money?

Maybe you ought to look into that King Cobra at Tanner's. Maks is better acquainted with Colts than I and he seemed to think that was a pretty decent price - and a much more comparable item to a Python than a SAA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Kind of apples & oranges. Any Colt SAA has pretty much reached collector status. I don't think I've seen one under $1200 for some time. If you are a hardcore Cowboy/SASS shooter you might actually use a Colt as a shooter, but there are so many other stouter SA revolvers that would better fill the bill, why spend the money?

Maybe you ought to look into that King Cobra at Tanner's. Maks is better acquainted with Colts than I and he seemed to think that was a pretty decent price - and a much more comparable item to a Python than a SAA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

DUH,, my bad I meant the Colt Peacekeeper .357. Not the cowboy gun lol. 

I sent Maks a pm about this gun. I called about the King Cobra. Sounds really nice. I May take a ride out tomorrow and take a look if it is still available. 

I still have the 6" .357 Peacekeeper I bought new in 1986 or 1987.

Shoots fine; no problems.  Accuracy and function-wise, its the equal of any of the Trooper Mk V's out there, because that's what it is...a Trooper Mk V with a sandblasted/parkerized finish.  The story I remember had to do with an extended labor issue at the Colt plant, and eliminating the polish/bluing step allowed them to move the skilled labor from the 'finish' side to the 'fitting' side of production.  My personal take on that is was a price/performance move; it allowed Colt to sell the Trooper for a lower production cost in the waning days of the revolver-dominated police market.  What sold me is that I found the Colt trigger/action to be smoother than the competing K-Frame S&W at a lower price, so I guess the marketing move worked.  

It's NOT a "poor man's Python" any more than a Trooper, Diamondback, or King Cobra qualifies for that title...they are all built on the same frame/action, which is different from the Python. 

Would I buy it again?  Hard to say - when I bought it, money was a bit tight, and it felt better in my hand, came with the pachmayer rubber grips I preferred back then, all at a price less expensive than its competitor; a S&W Model 19.  Now that I'm older, money's STILL tight, but I've grown to love Colt's fine polish and deep bluing, or the beautiful luster of a nickeled S&W from that era.  It gives them a character and soul that the sandblasted/parkerized finish lacks. 

The competitor, from S&W, for the Peacekeeper was the 586/686 series, not the 19/66. The L-frame was introduced in the early 80's and the Peacekeeper was an effort to compete with it.

The L-Frames from S&W (586/686) were VERY new back then; however *I* was considering a Model 19 versus the Peacekeeper.

At that time, the L-Frame Smiths were all the rage and much more expensive than the Peacekeeper.  As I remember, Colt's King Cobra was more of a competitor of the 686; both were polished stainless steel, with heavy underlug barrels;  features not on the peacekeeper.

EDIT - Oops - Colt made the King Cobra in blued steel, too.....

SC...

CP...

Tanners...

Good hunting.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob,

Thanks so much for the tip. Took a trip to Tanners today. What an awesome shop. I ended up buying the .357 blue King Cobra. Like you said it was in pristine condition with only a few small light scratches but only noticeable if you really looked for them and the trigger is so smooth. The blue finish is mesmerizing and so deep and polished. Super happy with the purchase and this is my first revolver as well.  I saw the stainless Python you mentioned as well and although way out of my price range I handled that baby as well. It was not nearly in as good condition as the King Cobra but WOW what a gun. Trigger is also like butter and it feels like it was hand made. Now I see what all the fuss is about but I would probably pass on owning one because of how expensive they are and probably not an ideal everyday shooter but If I found one under $1000 I would buy it in a heartbeat.  

Anyway thanks again for the tip. I would have never have found my new baby without you. It's great you take the time to help out other members and noobs like me and your advice is excellent. 

PIZZA BOB IS THE MAN.   :fans:

That is a really good price for a Blued King Cobra. Maybe I should add it to my stable. =P

gun9.jpg

Sorry, too late. I bought the blue King Cobra this afternoon.  You have enough toys to play with. Lol 

Will post pics as soon as I take possession after july 1st. 

If I had the fundage, you'd be seeing fewer tips and a much larger PB collection, LOL. I'm always looking and find it an enjoyable way to spend a couple hours. Lost track of the number of guns I've sold for the various stores I patronize, but it's getting up there.

@sludog - Congratulations on a fine gun - it was a real beauty, glad it found a good home.

@the_stranger - Does that mean it was gone by the time you got there, or that you bought it - hope the latter.

@mrg455 - I hope that you'll be pleased with your purchase. After reviewing the pics you forwarded it looks like exactly what you were after - hope that's the case.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

@Bob. I called CP Sunday afternoon and they still had it. Was down there a few minutes after they opened on Monday and snagged it. It was at my FFL on Tuesday. Thanks again!!

Since I was down that far took the opportunity to walk the perimeter of Valley Forge (got soaked). Then took 422 to 61 and Cabela's. Very enjoyable day.

That is a really good price for a Blued King Cobra. Maybe I should add it to my stable. =P

gun9.jpg

Thanks for the memory reboot. The Colt King Cobra was my first authorized carry gun in Jersey when I got off active duty back in 1991. I carried it while working for Princeton Armored...mine looked just like yours, but with Hogue Lamocamo finger groove grips. The double action weight was pretty stout, but the single action broke like a glass rod. I really wanted a Python in those days, but it was way outta my price range. One of the guys I worked with carried a Diamondback though which was pretty sweet...