Sign in to follow this  
Golf battery

Colt le 6940p or hk mr556 ?

I agree at 8.6lbs unloaded... that's pretty damn heavy!!!!  Adding some sort of optic and whatever ninja stuff on it, I think bench rest is the only way to shoot it.  I'm not sure how much you're getting it for, but it's way expensive!!!!

Not to throw more in the mix, but I have a SIG516 and honestly, if I can do it again for a piston, I would get the PWS: http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=449&idcategory=42 ... it would save me another pound in weight compared to the SIG516 and from what I see from the reviews online, its just as good?

I believe the colt 6940 is proprietary as well as the 6940p piston version.

What Shane says is correct.

The 6940P uses a proprietary BCG, and articulated piston system. I have 2 6940's (not the piston rifles, although I would like one!), and am a big believer in the Colt monolithic upper receivers. They are very solid, and accurate rifles.

The 6940P's BCG is NOT 'switchable' between piston and di.

In the world of piston rifles, there ISN'T a standard (like in DGI AR's).

Yeah i thought colt colt had maybe some master plan where bolts could switch out and then slip in a gas tube. Idk read something somewhere. So there's an idea for colt. Picking up the 6940p friday and some fde's also. Hk in july. cant have enough ar's. ill compare the 6940 and the p when i pick it up. It'll give me something to do this weekend. I like those heavier ar's. better accuracy for standing at distance. Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sold on piston AR's. They may give some advantage with sustained full auto fire/suppressed use ( or a combination of the two), but for the non-military user, I think it's pointless.

More parts to wear/fail, more reciprocating mass, more weight, and lack of stNdardization/propriatary parts are the principal downfalls.

What happens when the mfg of brand 'X' piston gun goes out of business? Where do you get parts?

That being said...I'd love to have a go at a 6940P. I hope that you enjoy yours.

The Colt monolithic uppers are awesome!

Thanks. That pws looks interesting. Ill do more research into it. I couldnt wait. Won a bid on the 6940p today. There is always next month for another piston drive ar. Thanks again for any info.

I have a PWS MK116 mod 1 and it's great. They've taken a lot of the criticisms of the piston platform and fixed them. They're light, have few moving parts, and are well balanced.

On the note of moving parts, here's the bolt carrier:

1M1BCGA2_L_1.jpg

You'll first notice that it's certainly a proprietary system as the op-rod is connected to the bolt carrier much like it is in a Kalashnikov system. At no point is a piston striking the bolt carrier like it would on short-stroke systems (LWRC, POF, etc.). They move together. This helps reduce carrier tilt to negligible levels. The op-rod attaches to piston heads of various sizes depending on the length of the gas system. Those two parts are the only moving parts in the gas system. This video explains the whole thing much better than I can:

If you are looking for a piston, your search begins and ends with LWRC.  There is no other piston that gives you all of the goodies, reliability, accuracy, field tested, qc, and cs that LWRC gives you.  It is also only one of two rifles to pass the SEAL OTB test.......

I have a PWS MK116 mod 1 and it's great. They've taken a lot of the criticisms of the piston platform and fixed them. They're light, have few moving parts, and are well balanced.

On the note of moving parts, here's the bolt carrier:

1M1BCGA2_L_1.jpg

You'll first notice that it's certainly a proprietary system as the op-rod is connected to the bolt carrier much like it is in a Kalashnikov system. At no point is a piston striking the bolt carrier like it would on short-stroke systems (LWRC, POF, etc.). They move together. This helps reduce carrier tilt to negligible levels. The op-rod attaches to piston heads of various sizes depending on the length of the gas system. Those two parts are the only moving parts in the gas system. This video explains the whole thing much better than I can:

there is no carrier tilt with lwrc and never has been.  Carrier tilt first came into play with the after market pistons and POF rifles that didn't properly address the bcg wobble.  LWRC never had this problem as it was designed correctly from inception.  This is also one of the reason you cannot swap bcgs from pistons to di.

there is no carrier tilt with lwrc and never has been.  Carrier tilt first came into play with the after market pistons and POF rifles that didn't properly address the bcg wobble.  LWRC never had this problem as it was designed correctly from inception.  This is also one of the reason you cannot swap bcgs from pistons to di.

Eh.

I like LWRC and have a lot of respect for their quality, but they aren't the only game in town. Carrier tilt is going to exist whenever non-symmetrical force is applied to the BCG. LWRC has eliminated the effects of carrier tilt by specifically engineering their rifles to compensate, as has PWS with their proprietary buffer tube and BCG design.

LWRC's M6 series also weigh in at about 7lbs 5oz while a PWS MK116 Mod1 weighs 6lbs 10 oz. So I'm saving 11oz off the bat and the PWS won't be nearly as front heavy as short-stroke piston systems. I would feel confident putting it up against a LWRC any day of the week.

The piston 6940 is the bomb. As they say here. I got a triji ta11 scope on it. About 400 rds through it 2 or 3 drops of clp. No nothing with jamming or anything. Only problem a pmag mag wouldnt go up enoughto feed. I had to slap her repeatedly hard to get her to feed. Im hooked on the rod piston. Shooting at a friends farm in elk twsp. S jersersey on sunday. Youre welcome to come with ammo. Just gotta bring colts or anything else. Pistols or what not. Ars should be colts. If not its 1$ per rd to shoot. Let me know.

The piston 6940 is the bomb. As they say here. I got a triji ta11 scope on it. About 400 rds through it 2 or 3 drops of clp. No nothing with jamming or anything. Only problem a pmag mag wouldnt go up enoughto feed. I had to slap her repeatedly hard to get her to feed. Im hooked on the rod piston. Shooting at a friends farm in elk twsp. S jersersey on sunday. Youre welcome to come with ammo. Just gotta bring colts or anything else. Pistols or what not. Ars should be colts. If not its 1$ per rd to shoot. Let me know.

I had the money for a HK MR556A1 back in October/November... I was seriously considering one with the necessary mods of having a NJ legal muzzle device (I was thinking the BattleComp 1 I believe the shortest BattleComp) and the stock pinned, and since i may be moving I was thinking, I needed to have it super professionally done so it's "permanent" but "unpermeable" later by a gunsmith in FL , to therefore enjoy the awesome stock and at least option of a different muzzle device (Although if you go to the expense of installing a BattleComp you most likely just keep it.)

I decided Naw ... it's okay..... $3000 for the rifle, $1000+ optic, $1000 for ammo and accessories, (Let's make it, $2000 for Optic, accessories, ammo & mags)... Lot of money, I can (and did) spread that money out on a few lower firearms and life living-stuff not gun related.

Now I really wish I had that HK.... and as I am more dedicated to both .308 and 7.62x39 and haven't a 5.56 in the family, I am REALLY lusting over the HK MR762A1... and am really really thinking that might be my moving present if I can 1) Save up the $5000+ for it lol and 2) ever actually move to Florida.

Colt is an awesome firearm.  Top of the line.  HK and specifically the MR556/762 is SUPERPREMIUM and ELITE-end-of-the-line.

If it is a pinned pmag and you're trying to load it on a closed bolt, your problem isn't unusual. Some people pin them to ensure that they can't take a 16th round, making them very tight.

Most if not all of my pmags won't load on a closed bolt with 15 rounds.

Who you asking. Me ?

Whoever has it? I have a 20" colt match target but I think going to order a larue tactical predatobr 16" and ship it to pa then have them pin stuff cause if I ship to jersey larue dicks the rifle

Larue won't send the magpul stock or birdcage flash hider or the two 30 round mags to jersey, they give you metal 10 rounders and an A2 stock which ruins the rifle. Ill send it to pa have a break out in it pin magpul mags and pin the stock I'm paying for it I want it

Whoever has it? I have a 20" colt match target but I think going to order a larue tactical predatobr 16" and ship it to pa then have them pin stuff cause if I ship to jersey larue dicks the rifle

Isn't Larue at like a six month + wait for a rifle?