JoeTK37

Accuracy?

So what features make for an accurate AR?  Not 500+yd precision, but something capable of sub-moa(maybe 1/2MOA?) groups at 100yds.  Are there certain things that contribute to better accuracy than others, heavy vs. pencil barrel?  Aside from the trigger does anything in the lower affect accuracy?  Total noob stuff I know, but any help would be great.  Joe

This is probably obvious but equally important is a good shooter.  You can give the best equipment to a new shooter and they would probably not hit the same spot twice.  It's not the fault of the equipment.  Practice will help you hit sub-moa.

You make a good point.

The AR-15 type rifles are very inherently accurate right out of the box, when the owner uses the right ammunition. However, many AR owners expect MOA accuracy out thier rifles using any old crap for ammo.

Typically, bulk M193 or M855 is capable of 3MOA at best. Steel case is usually even worse.

My Colt 6940 for example, will put 10 rounds of Ferderal M193 in a group of about 2-3" at 100 yards. That's about the best I can expect from that combination. That has more to do with the limits of the ammunition used rather than the limits of the rifle.

That same 6940 will put 10 rounds of 77gr SMK's in a quarter sized hole @100 yards all day long, if I do my job.

Tighter ammunition specifications/ greater consistency is the key. That's the difference between ammo that costs $.35/round and ammo that costs $1/round.

In (my) real world use of my carbines, I shoot more M193 than anything else. I simply don't have the need for sub MOA performance in most roles I use them for.

Its nice to know that they are capable of that kind of accuracy, however.

In all things in life, garbage in = garbage out. You want an accurate AR-15? Be prepared to experiment with ammunition, and don't be surprised when Wolf, M855/193 gives mediocre results.

you need a good barrel, a good trigger, good ammo and lots of practice.  None of my barrels are bull barrels and all but one of my ARs are sub moa.  Just buy a quality barrel and get a good trigger and practice practice practice

Before spending any money on "accurizing" accessories, get some ammo and spend some time at the range tightening the loose nut behind the trigger.

You may be surprised what a stock AR is capable of.

This is critical to getting any accuracy at all. Some of us have made trigger pull and breathing second nature in our technique, so it's gets forgotten when sharing the knowledge.