vmastro87

Humane way to kill an injured chipmunk

I watched them stab a Lobster through the head on Master Chef last week and you could see the life go out of it's eyes, it actually really bummed me out. For the rest of the night it put me in a weird mood, I actually had to go spend time with my dog after.

Damn....then you wouldn't want to be in the kitchen when I'm processing live crabs and lobsters, unless I'm putting them on the grill or steaming whole, the lobsters get twisted and the crabs have their backs pulled off.

On a related note,  we've had chipmunks living in the yard for years, navigating to the bird feeders and back to their burrow while passing the pool on the way.

This past week, I've had to fish out three dead ones from the shallow end.  I guess they were looking for water and don't have a way to get back out.  The odd thing is that never happened before and with all the rain we've gotten lately, why are they so parched I wonder.

Damn....then you wouldn't want to be in the kitchen when I'm processing live crabs and lobsters, unless I'm putting them on the grill or steaming whole, the lobsters get twisted and the crabs have their backs pulled off.

You must do them like my buddy does then, cleans them while they're still alive.

I couldn't do it myself.

You must do them like my buddy does then, cleans them while they're still alive.

I couldn't do it myself.

Exactly...the bright pink fat and gills of either begin to grey within moments of their death which effects taste. I won't cook crabs or lobsters that have expired with the exception of gilled soft shell crabs.

This is the best advice I can give you, take it for what it's worth.....I am not a veterinarian.

The American Veterinarian Society has Euthanasia guidelines... most of which use specialized equipment. The State Fish and Game Commission refer to these guidelines when instructing persons in terminating nuisance wildlife. Drowning is illegal. And Carbon Dioxide though it will kill the animal, exposing it to the super heated exhaust of an engine is inhumane. Veterinarians have pressurized canisters of gas to induce death in this manner. An acceptable procedure in the guidelines for small mammals (short of using a .22) is chest compression. If you would rather not do it by using your hands to directly compress the chest I think you could use whatever method that accomplishes the same action. You could accomplish the same thing by placing the animal on the ground and laying the end of a board across it and "slowly" push down on the board with your hand or step on the board with with your foot (don't stomp on it). Only use sufficient compression to the point that the animal cannot breath (don't squash it)... hold the compression for 1-2 minutes or until you are satisfied it is dead. It is usually very quick and not as gruesome as other methods.

Can I have a link to this for my information? I want to see them talk about carbon dioxide and superheat in car exhaust. Both present (sort of), neither applicable.

And Carbon Dioxide though it will kill the animal, exposing it to the super heated exhaust of an engine is inhumane.

So much fail here it's just a miracle. 

Better watch out for that deadly dihydrogen monoxide as well.  It's a real killer, especially in children!

IMO if an animal is already suffering... any procedure that you could perform that would be expedient would be the best course of action.

In reference to my earlier statement I meant to say, Carbon Monoxide not Carbon Dioxide. Here's a link to the AVMA 2013 guidelines pdf https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/292011 .

Thanks, I see it.

Page 48 under General Recommendations:

"(8) Carbon monoxide must be supplied in a

precisely regulated and purified form without contaminants or adulterants, typically from a

commercially supplied cylinder or tank.

Yeah, don't want any contaminants. It's like when they swab your skin before the give you the lethal injection LOL :)

(I have read another source that describes combustible gases as being inhumane because of being super heated... I will try and find it but it's been a few years and I don't know where it came from. Suffice to say it is still not acceptable either way.)

Carbon monoxide is a flammable gas.

Not sure how superheat applies to gasses, or anything with a fugacity near 1. If there are superheated gasses, then it includes the air I am breathing right now.

To make things way more complicated than they need to be, I used the disclaimer that car exhaust contains superheat "sort of" only because there is water vapor with energy beyond latent heat. Not because it means anything at all, just because I am accustomed to defending myself from all kinds of moronic challenges.

What are the firecrackers for?

(plus you are missing the Pinata)

I'm assuming so your neighbors don't know but that's what subsonics are for

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

It's summer time. Find a neighbor on vacation, and put it under his windshield wiper. Or stuff it in front of thecabin air intake. Too small to throw in a swimming pool.

Or leave it in their driveway. Outline it with chalk. Tape off part of the driveway. Put lots of little cones or number markers around. Leave a flyer on their door asking for any information, and requesting that one of them come over for questioning. There are all sorts of fun stuff you can do with the unfortunate demise of a small woodland creature. 

Or leave it in their driveway. Outline it with chalk. Tape off part of the driveway. Put lots of little cones or number markers around. Leave a flyer on their door asking for any information, and requesting that one of them come over for questioning. There are all sorts of fun stuff you can do with the unfortunate demise of a small woodland creature. 

I just LOL :D

Place it in a bag and place it in the freezer. The cold just puts it to sleep and quickly does them in. Or The rabbit farmers will tell you to just pull on its head and give a quick twist. It's quick and painless but wear thick gloves to protect from bites.