2ANJ

I am sorry but this is just wrong...

I am military, an Infantryman to be specific.  I have also done Military police duties (to include getting tased and sprayed as part of the trainup and how to take down and cuff someone even with OC Spray on my face).  I have been taught the Rules of engagement and rules for the use of force for my last two overseas deployment.  I know that i should use the minimum force necessary to accomplish the mission, de-escalate if possible and that i can use deadly force when all other options have been exhausted.  Now it is incredibly difficult for me to believe that cops aren't trained in use of force.  When you saw the video, did you see ANY de-escalation? Any non lethal use of force? If the service pistol is the minimum force necessary to quell the dog or the owner begging not to have his dog shot then we are in severe severe trouble once that "RUF" spreads.  now to answer your question, no, i prefer to keep all body parts firmly attached to my body.  If someone invades a person's or animal's personal space, expect a warning. the question here is did the cop use the minimum force needed?  EVERY PERSON OR ANIMAL GIVES CUES THAT THEIR COMFORT LEVEL HAS BEEN DISRUPTED.  Dogs do it, snakes do it, cats do it, spiders,scorpions, racoons, bears,even humans do it.  Now, I don't expect everyone to understand it because not everyone is a dog person or an animal lover or even realize the service they do even as companions to cops and blind people. but hey, this IS A GUN FORUM after all.  and JACKDAWACK, the owner did tell the dog to stop and some jackass reached for his collar. as for reaching in the car to raise windows, tell that to the cops that have shot people for reaching for their wallets or the requested documents.  

Peace. I'm done with this topic here.  Unfollowed.

Well at least this is better then the cop who was in the backyard of the wrong home and open fire on a nonaggressive with kids playing nearby while trying to serve a warrant for an unregistered vehicle. Or the cop who shot a dangerous yorkie because he was afraid...

I am military, an Infantryman to be specific.  I have also done Military police duties (to include getting tased and sprayed as part of the trainup and how to take down and cuff someone even with OC Spray on my face).  I have been taught the Rules of engagement and rules for the use of force for my last two overseas deployment.  I know that i should use the minimum force necessary to accomplish the mission, de-escalate if possible and that i can use deadly force when all other options have been exhausted.  Now it is incredibly difficult for me to believe that cops aren't trained in use of force.  When you saw the video, did you see ANY de-escalation? Any non lethal use of force?

No believies officially called.

No force used at all.

No- escalation of any kind,

until the dog escalated

then lunged at officer at close range.

If you were taught to de-escalate with an angry dog at danger close your war zone was pretty wimpy.  Not buying it.

Personally, this is absolutely intolerable.  This should have never happened.  The officer is under investigation already for brutality and improper use of force.  This is a clear violation of the man's rights and the officers should be punished for that alone.  Add to it that the officer approached the dog with his hand on his weapon already and you have a person that intends to use lethal force.  I think this officer should be punished to the full extent of the law and the other officers should be punished for violating this man's Constitutional rights. 

The man was fully compliant with the officers even though they were not compliant with the laws themselves (demonstrated by turning around and not resisting in any way).  They took the walk to detain him, he didn't walk towards them.  They started man handling him... not the other way around.  They are wrong, plain and simple.  I hope the courts determine that this type of behavior is wrong and that the department compensate this man somehow.  Money will never replace a best friend, but it sure hurts the other party when they have to hand it over.

This officer should be fired and the others should be suspended without pay (for detaining the man who is well within his rights).

Hand on weapon is NOT intent to use deadly force.

I would respectfully disagree with you.  Approach an officer with a hand on a weapon and see what happens.  You can try to use the excuse that a hand on a weapon is not intent... I don't think that will fly.  Hand on a weapon when approaching a dog that does not know what you are doing is intent.  That is MY opinion and I understand and can appreciate yours... however, I don't agree.

I would respectfully disagree with you.  Approach an officer with a hand on a weapon and see what happens.  You can try to use the excuse that a hand on a weapon is not intent... I don't think that will fly.  Hand on a weapon when approaching a dog that does not know what you are doing is intent.  That is MY opinion and I understand and can appreciate yours... however, I don't agree.

+1 Valid statement

I would respectfully disagree with you. Approach an officer with a hand on a weapon and see what happens. You can try to use the excuse that a hand on a weapon is not intent... I don't think that will fly. Hand on a weapon when approaching a dog that does not know what you are doing is intent. That is MY opinion and I understand and can appreciate yours... however, I don't agree.

See how two people can be civil and agree to disagree respectfully... :)

20130701_062909_0702_NWS_TDB-L-DOGSHOT_5

This image clearly shows the dog retreating and the officer pulling out his weapon before approaching the animal.  That... is intent.

good point.....now at that moment how about uncuff the guy who commited no crime at all and let him properly secure his dog.....

wait... that makes too much sense......better idea!

Discharge my firearm on a crowded street......ya.....thats way better

20130701_062909_0702_NWS_TDB-L-DOGSHOT_5

This image clearly shows the dog retreating and the officer pulling out his weapon before approaching the animal.  That... is intent.

The problem here is who knows what the dogs intent was at that moment.dogs like humans are unpredictable during times of stress...I had a german shepard who would lower his front end like that before when he was ready to uncork some hell on somebody..

The dog was doing no wrong he seen his master being what he perceived as threatened. Like someone said above they could have un cuffed him and let him secure the dog. I know its easy to say this and that but i really feel it could have been treated differently

Just a question for the LEO here - how fast can you uncuff someone?  Also - why uncuff someone who has not been searched yet and could potentially draw a weapon on you?

And who's to say the guy didn't intentionally put the dog in the car with the windows down specifically to allow it to attack?

Failure to secure your dog. Could have held it until the police told him what to do.

Bad choices, bad consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a question for the LEO here - how fast can you uncuff someone? Also - why uncuff someone who has not been searched yet and could potentially draw a weapon on you?

Holy logic batman

Search the webs they let the guy go and didnt charge with him with anything so in thoery this could have all been avoided and tild him to get in his car and go

Yea, I saw that as well. Let him go the next day at 5am.

Just a question for the LEO here - how fast can you uncuff someone?  Also - why uncuff someone who has not been searched yet and could potentially draw a weapon on you?

Why cuff someone in the first place in this instance? If he hadnt done anything to warrant an arrest, which apparently is the case considering he was not charged, why cuff first and talk later? Sorry but this guy showed no signs of being a threat giving grounds to physically detain him.

Why cuff someone in the first place in this instance? If he hadnt done anything to warrant an arrest, which apparently is the case considering he was not charged, why cuff first and talk later? Sorry but this guy showed no signs of being a threat giving grounds to physically detain him.

Cuffing someone does not constitute arrest the man was detained for suspicious behavior it was a fucked up situation it's not animal cruelty it's not police brutality the dog lunged the officer fired upon it was he right in his mind yes he was protecting himself and his partners when you guys do this for a living you can go about the situation anyway you want let me know how it turns out when you pull back a mangled arm

Then I guess I just disagree on the premise you can be physically detained via being cuffed because you are deemed suspicious. To this the video of him just walking back and forth video taping.. To me, that does not appear suspicious considering there's at least one other person recording as seen in the OP. This guy just so happens to be on the other side of the street. I just dont happen to agree that what this man was doing warranted being cuffed. I guess we could play what if all we want..what's done is done and I hope they re-evaluate how they handle situation like this moving forward.

Then I guess I just disagree on the premise you can be physically detained via being cuffed because you are deemed suspicious. To this the video of him just walking back and forth video taping.. To me, that does not appear suspicious considering there's at least one other person recording as seen in the OP. This guy just so happens to be on the other side of the street. I just dont happen to agree that what this man was doing warranted being cuffed. I guess we could play what if all we want..what's done is done and I hope they re-evaluate how they handle situation like this moving forward.

You don't know what kind if view the police have of the other people taping maybe they are sitting in a car unnoticed this guy walks in front of multiple patrol vehicles taping then antagonizes during a raid. That would set of flags in my head is he trying stall tactics is he video taping for use of retaliation you all see a man walking his dog we as law enforcement see the potential for a look out. As civilians you don't think that way because you aren't taught to. I have no problem saying flat out if I was in that officers shoes and the dog lunged at me I'm putting it down, and I'm a big animal lover my wife and I rescue dogs and when I retire would love to open our own shelter, but when it comes down to it the name of the game is to go home every night and nothing is gonna stand in my way man or beast

You don't know what kind if view the police have of the other people taping maybe they are sitting in a car unnoticed this guy walks in front of multiple patrol vehicles taping then antagonizes during a raid. That would set of flags in my head is he trying stall tactics is he video taping for use of retaliation you all see a man walking his dog we as law enforcement see the potential for a look out. As civilians you don't think that way because you aren't taught to. I have no problem saying flat out if I was in that officers shoes and the dog lunged at me I'm putting it down, and I'm a big animal lover my wife and I rescue dogs and when I retire would love to open our own shelter, but when it comes down to it the name of the game is to go home every night and nothing is gonna stand in my way man or beast

Im not arguing a police officer has the right to use appropriate force to protect himself and others. My assertion is that this guy should not have been immediately cuffed and it could have led to a much better outcome. Even if you see flags that go off that point to certain indicators, I find it aggravating as a citizen to know I can be cuffed by three PO's because I look suspicious. Police putting down aggressive dogs is nothing new. I believe the anger people have over how this was handled, and the outcome because of it. I guess id have to walk a mile... or maybe 100 in their shoes to understand why their actions were/are standard acceptable practices.

Soooo in one hand you are saying the tape doesnt show everything but in the other you are saying the "raid" is still in the process which ISN'T showed in the footage provided....sooo what is it man are you going by what the video shows or are you going by what you think.

Soooo in one hand you are saying the tape doesnt show everything but in the other you are saying the "raid" is still in the process which ISN'T showed in the footage provided....sooo what is it man are you going by what the video shows or are you going by what you think.

The footage shows them blocking off an area because the police are in the process of getting ready to enter a building that robbery suspects are held up in, not from the tape not what I think that is what's happening at the time the filming is happening which is probably why these cops were on edge