tommyfeds

Cleaning a Mosin..........not that kind of cleaning..........like just cleaning

Hi All,

So I have this Mosin, its a 1942 Ishevsk with all matching numbers (not that it matters for this but)......so anyway, when I got it, I stripped it, I used degreaser on everything. Took the bolt apart (thank you youtube) ran degreaser down the barrel and then used boiling water over everything as well just to make sure. Baked it on 200 degrees for 8 minutes and covered it with pink icing. So my concern isnt so much with cosmoline I dont think, but here goes my question.

So I clean it when I get back from the range. I use the windex down the barrel and in the receiver. I then send multiple patches down with Hoppe's #9, I let it sit for like 15 min and then run some more pathches down. I even bought a .30 cal bore snake as well. My issue is..........I can run patches for what seems like forever and still come out dirty! Am I not using the right stuff? Is there a better method? Can I put it in my dishwasher? Should I try my power washer? Maybe attach the cleaning rod to my drill and have at it? (joking.........just a little, but joking)

After a while I just give up and figure I gave it my best shot, I run some CLP down the barrel and put it away. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Tommy

I Windex mine, then brake clean it, run a bore brush through it, then Brite Bore and a couple of patches, that's it. If it isn't clean enough doing that, I really don't care. I only use surplus ammo and only at 100 yards, not looking for accuracy, just a BIG cheap bang!

No magic in Windex. If you're shooting corrosive primed ammo water does the job better than anything else. Follow with Hoppes #9 (which also will dissolve salts) and clean normally.

There is an article on Surplusrifle.com showing how well cleaners remove salts. Nothing was better than water. Some of the modern stuff was the worst on salts.

I should of prefaced my first response with this: the first thing I do when done shooting it is I take a bottle of water and pour some down the brl thru the chamber to flush out most of the salts. The brl is still hot and drys fast then the Sweets at home for the abundant grime. Then a few swipes with hoppes which I use as a general wash for everthing guns then oil.

I Windex mine, then brake clean it, run a bore brush through it, then Brite Bore and a couple of patches, that's it. If it isn't clean enough doing that, I really don't care. I only use surplus ammo and only at 100 yards, not looking for accuracy, just a BIG cheap bang!

I kinda like this school of thought. Especially since I'm still trying to hit paper at 50 yards. I may look into bore Brite or that sweets stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I kinda like this school of thought. Especially since I'm still trying to hit paper at 50 yards. I may look into bore Brite or that sweets stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

How well do you shoot? Have you had someone who shoots well shoot the rifle? A bore does not have to be immaculate for decent accuracy.

Is Mosin.  Is shoot dirty.  Don't be too concerned w. dirty patches.  I usually just pour some drinking water down the gullet and follow it w. whatever I have in my bag to prevent quick oxidation.

If you aren't on the paper at 50 yards, either your sights are screwy or you need a lot more practice!  :)

Lol, I'm on paper, I did figure out I need to aim low and to the left though, hehe. I was thinking about a scope mount and an ncstar pistol scope but I figured I need to figure out the iron sights first. Plus I don't know the first thing about dialing in a scope........ Or how to clean the damn gun either I guess, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

try this for your front sight http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOSIN-NAGANT-TALL-FRONT-SIGHT-POST-M91-M91-30-M38-M44-T53-ENDS-HIGH-SHOTS-/200935449251?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec8afa2a3

I have the same issue with my mosin's and recently tried to use navel jelly rust remover then did a normal cleaning and topping it off with some bore bright. It has made a big difference when cleaning now and takes less patches to come out clean.

Some mosins will come clean after a couple patches, others will never be clean. Dont worry. As long as you run water down the bore then clean with solvent your good to go. As others have stated windex is just wasting your money. People will tell you that you need the ammonia in not it but the fact is the percentage of ammonia in windex is less than 1%. Basically not there.

video removed or not public

Hmmmm...... Lemme get one of my kids to figure out a way to post the video. Works for me, but probably because it is my facebook page and it automatically logs me in. Maybe I can use my photobucket account.

Some mosins will come clean after a couple patches, others will never be clean. Dont worry. As long as you run water down the bore then clean with solvent your good to go. As others have stated windex is just wasting your money. People will tell you that you need the ammonia in not it but the fact is the percentage of ammonia in windex is less than 1%. Basically not there.

Ammonia as a cleaner for corrosive salts is discussed in Hatchers Notebook. They found water was the best solvent for the salts. Soldiers have been told for years to keep their weapons dry and away from water. Household ammonia was the answer. Keep in mind ammonia by itself is a gas. Household ammonia is ammonia gas mixed with....water. The ammonia is corrosive and helps dissolve the softer copper based fouling in the bore but not affect the steel as long as it is not left in the bore too long. The water dissolves the salts. Two issues addressed.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?.................. J-B Non-Embedding Bore Cleaning Compound

http://www.amazon.com/J-B-Non-Embedding-Bore-Cleaning-Compound/dp/B0018L9UOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372851476&sr=8-1&keywords=bore+bright

Ill give this some thought. The last time I tried to remove a front sight was on my 10/22 and after many attempts with coats of WD40 and a regular hammer and a couple of ruined brass punches I ended up using a dremel to cut the d@mn thing out! It scared the crap out of me, I thought I was going to break something. 

I think it was a post by you actually that mentioned the BullseyeXpress mount and the NCStar Long Eye relief scope? 

Ammonia as a cleaner for corrosive salts is discussed in Hatchers Notebook. They found water was the best solvent for the salts. Soldiers have been told for years to keep their weapons dry and away from water. Household ammonia was the answer. Keep in mind ammonia by itself is a gas. Household ammonia is ammonia gas mixed with....water. The ammonia is corrosive and helps dissolve the softer copper based fouling in the bore but not affect the steel as long as it is not left in the bore too long. The water dissolves the salts. Two issues addressed.

The debate was using windex. The ammonia in a whole bottle of windex is 0.05% of 28% ammonia. You want to use ammonia as your solvent? more power to you. Windex is still useless if your using it for your ammonia cleaner.

The debate was using windex. The ammonia in a whole bottle of windex is 0.05% of 28% ammonia. You want to use ammonia as your solvent? more power to you. Windex is still useless if your using it for your ammonia cleaner.

I don't use ammonia but was just relating the origins (to my knowledge) of how people came to think the ammonia in Windex has some magic properties. Sorry if I bored you.

The point is ammonia itself has no effect on the salts. Household ammonia will remove the salts because its mostly water.

I don't use ammonia but was just relating the origins (to my knowledge) of how people came to think the ammonia in Windex has some magic properties. Sorry if I bored you.

The point is ammonia itself has no effect on the salts. Household ammonia will remove the salts because its mostly water.

Didn't bother me friend. Just talkin . no worries