mikka1

Gun ranges in Northern NJ that rent firearms to "single" visitors

So, while still trying to fight my local PD over their "extra" FID requirements (http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/57936-references-for-fid-application-reference-residence-reqt/) I was looking forward to use rental handguns to practice, but I faced quite an unexpected (at least for me) obstacle - some (or maybe even most) of the local ranges do not allow gun rentals for those a) without the FID b) coming to the range alone.

Anthony from G4H kindly called me back recently and explained that this is because of some requirements of the insurance company aimed to prevent range suicides and at his range it applies to all people visiting alone even if the person happens to be a range member and even if it is his 10th visit (unless he has a valid NJ FID).

I am kind of not keen on going deep into discussing if this policy is right or wrong and I absolutely and fully respect this kind of decision (in the end of the day, it's Anthony's business and he has an absolute right to decide who he wants to see at HIS business and who he doesn't want, as if something bad happens with some dickhead it will be him to suffer, not me or whoever else), but I just look at this from the very practical standpoint - with my job with unpredictable working hours it's almost impossible for me to engage any of my colleagues or friends to accompany me to the range every time I want to go shooting. Getting FID is also somewhat out of my control - some guys online reported that it had taken more than 3-4 months for my local PD to process the paperwork...

So my only short term solution (at least until I get my FID) is to find a range that does not have such a policy.

So far I only contacted Heritage Guild in Easton, PA and they confirmed that they rent to individuals coming alone without issues.

I tried to call RTSP, but was unable to get hold of anyone there - but at least I see no indication of such a policy on their website.

Shore Shot (which is anyway far from me) indeed does have the same policy.

So any other range suggestions in Northern NJ and adjacent areas in PA (max ~60-70 miles from Newark) that allow rentals to "single walk-ins"?

Thanks in advance!

....or go with a friend...

I'm a ittle jealous if you have friends who are easily available to go to the range, let's say, 3pm Wednesday :nyam:

Unfortunately most of my friends work normal hours (unlike me with my job that might make me free at 3pm on a weekday and let me sit at the desk until midnight on Saturday...), so that's why I just consider this obvious option as unpractical in most cases for me.

I don't think RTSP has that policy yet, but might be considering it.  They are located in Randolph, NJ - http://www.rtsponline.com/

Frankly speaking this just drives me nuts. I already see that one day I'll come to Alamo next to some airport in the middle of nowhere and I'll be told that they can't rent me a car if I'm alone and I'm male because this is a requirement of their insurance company. Walmart will not sell me kitchen knives, Home Depot will not sell me ropes and Walgreens will not sell me Advil... :fuck: In addition to this the doorman at my corporate building in Manhattan (which is, I think, 46 floors high) will not let me in the elevator going up without signing a waiver every time I enter the building... All because all of those things and establishments can potentially be used for commiting a suicide...

Just joking obviously, but that's essentially how I really feel it :)

Right it sucks.

Fact is that more than one person in the past 12 months has committed suicide by renting a gun at a local range in NJ. Insurance companies deal in facts and statistics. Frankly I think it sucks that the car insurance companies discriminate against young in married males under 25 yrs of age but hey they're the ones who cause most accidents...

Right it sucks.

Fact is that more than one person in the past 12 months has committed suicide by renting a gun at a local range in NJ. Insurance companies deal in facts and statistics. Frankly I think it sucks that the car insurance companies discriminate against young in married males under 25 yrs of age but hey they're the ones who cause most accidents...

I wanted to avoid this kind of discussion as it is counterproductive anyway (as I mentioned before, it's up to the range owner to decide who he/she wants to see and who he/she doesn't), but on the other hand even quick googling gives out horror stories about mom blowing out her son's brain and than hers at one of the ranges, or two sisters renting two handguns and trying to commit suicides simultaneously, or a retired military person coming to a range to blow his head off. What is common in all those cases is that those visitors would have technically been fully in line with some of these policies - in first two cases visitors were not alone; military guy most likely had all permits / paperwork etc. The sad thing is that most likely you can't really prevent a suicide of a determined person. In fact, I lost a friend some time ago who (supposedly) took his life by jumping out from the window. Unfortunately those things happen and it's hard or even nearly impossible to prevent them by any restrictive measures.

I suggest to cut this kind of debates here, really :-)

My initial question was much simplier and much less phylosophical - who still, despite all those sad events, rents to "single walk-ins". One place already found for sure, another one - need to confirm. Maybe somewhere else?

Check with the Heritage Guild at Easton PA, if that's not to far for you. They rent guns, you have to fill out some paperwork that you can find on there website and watch a range operation video.

http://www.heritageguild.com/What-We-Do/Firearms.aspx#Easton%20and%20Heritage%20Guild

I'm hoping to go to RSPT on Friday.  If I do, I'll let you know if they let me rent a gun by myself.

Thanks, would very much appreciate it. RSTP range is closer to me than Heritage Guild in Easter, PA, so if it works out it might become choice #1 for me.

Check with the Heritage Guild at Easton PA, if that's not to far for you. They rent guns, you have to fill out some paperwork that you can find on there website and watch a range operation video.

http://www.heritageguild.com/What-We-Do/Firearms.aspx#Easton%20and%20Heritage%20Guild

Thanks, I called them already today - they confirmed that I can rent being alone - so far it's the only range that I know for sure about.

Just wanted to see if there's something else closer to me.

I know RTSP did not have that policy as I did the same "try before you buy" while I was waiting on FID/permits and was always able to rent going by myself. That may have changed in the 4 months or so since i was last there

Right it sucks.

Selfishness and lack of proper general education. 

What happened to old good Roman way to go? 

Get a nice hot bathtub, tourniquet, razor blade, champagne, nice movie or tv show on your laptop and go as slow as you like with dignity. 

No mess to clean up after, no traumatized bystanders, no crazy increase of business insurance... 

If Easton isn't that much further for you, I would recommend you check them out.  Very nice range, showroom, employees, range officers, etc, etc.  I've only been to Shore Shot so can't compare it to Woodland Park (which I've heard is very, very nice). 

What are you thinking about trying out / renting?  Check out the "get together" (or whatever it is called) topic to see if anyone from here is planning a group outing and ask if they wouldn't mind if you join them.  I think a few guys guys went to EFGA (Easton Game and Fish Association) to have a get together.

I wonder when shore shot changed their policy I haven't been there in over a year but when I was going before I got my FID I was going alone and never had a problem

They changed their policy back in April after a suicide in their range.

Where are you at? That could create some other choices on where you could join (I.e. town owned ranges). There's one in Waldwick that is open to others.

I live in Bloomfield, NJ (few miles from Newark).

As I don't have a firearm yet and I need a range with rentals it already seems to narrow the choice significantly.

If Easton isn't that much further for you, I would recommend you check them out.  Very nice range, showroom, employees, range officers, etc, etc.  I've only been to Shore Shot so can't compare it to Woodland Park (which I've heard is very, very nice). 

What are you thinking about trying out / renting?  Check out the "get together" (or whatever it is called) topic to see if anyone from here is planning a group outing and ask if they wouldn't mind if you join them.  I think a few guys guys went to EFGA (Easton Game and Fish Association) to have a get together.

Well, Easton is indeed quite far, but manageable (I don't own a car as I don't really need it on everyday basis, but I rent it for a day or two almost every other week, so no big deal to get there). I will most likely go there in a week or so when I come back from a short trip.

I have quite limited shooting experience, so initially I plan to stick to 9mm semi-automatic handguns. I tried shooting some of them while being abroad (in a very IPSC-oriented shooting club) and so far the one I liked most was CZ-75, but as far as I see it's hard to find it here even to buy it, let alone rent. I want to try Glock 17/19 once again as I was not much impressed by them at first (they seemed to lightweight for me with hardly manageable recoil, but that was probably just first impression of inexperienced shooter). So, nothing really fancy or extraordinary - I think I'll be fine with any rental options :-)

Selfishness and lack of proper general education. 

What happened to old good Roman way to go? 

Get a nice hot bathtub, tourniquet, razor blade, champagne, nice movie or tv show on your laptop and go as slow as you like with dignity. 

No mess to clean up after, no traumatized bystanders, no crazy increase of business insurance... 

I'd still say that it's hard for me to imagine what kind of trouble a person must be in to think about taking his life either the "good Roman way" or any other way (except maybe for terminal illness in its final stages but even this is questionable - many people fight hard for every second of their lives...).

Apart from that, I don't want razor blades and champagne to become controlled goods not sold to single visitors of the store, so let's not spread the idea :-)))

You owe it to yourself to get over to Heritage Guild for a lot of reasons. As you already know they rent and have a very large variety of guns in the rental program in all calibers. They always have ammo on the shelf at very reasonable prices and I shoot there every week. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly (except for Janice who's all business). The ROs are very helpful to experienced and noobs alike and once they know you they will often let you swap out guns during a session so you can try more than one in one session. You can hop on 78 and once you cross the border into PA it's 5 minutes. Also you can download their listing of rental guns online although they have added quite a few recently and may not be totally up to date.

I did the same thing you are trying to do about 3 months ago and liked it there so much I became a member getting decent discounts on all services and purchases. I tried 8 or 9 different 9mms and finally ended up buying a CZ sp-01 which I had never even held before. Once I got it, with the experiences I'd had a Heritage I was sure I'd made the right choice and without that trial, I'd probably always wonder because I really liked several of them just not as much.

So all in all I vote for the ride out. By the way, I shoot on Mondays in the late AM and if you ever need to try the SP-01 you can PM me. Costs a bit more right now but worth every penny.

I wanted to avoid this kind of discussion as it is counterproductive anyway (as I mentioned before, it's up to the range owner to decide who he/she wants to see and who he/she doesn't)

Actually, it's up to the insurer though you keep putting the onus on the range owner. 

Ready Aim Fire in Bristol PA may rent to singles.

It's probably already been said, if so disregard, but why don't you just get your fpid and not worry about this

Not hard, just a lot of waiting

I'm already working on it - apparently not that easy (and very long!) in Bloomfield. Some people in the relevant thread reported up to 5 months wait time.

Actually, it's up to the insurer though you keep putting the onus on the range owner. 

Ready Aim Fire in Bristol PA may rent to singles.

Well, as I mentioned, I'm not trying to blame anyone (sorry if it sounded like I was trying to do so - I didn't mean to). I'm just looking for short-term (until I get my FID and then my own firearm) practical (not requiring too much hassle) solution, that's it.

Thanks, looks really good. Will also add to my shortlist.

You owe it to yourself to get over to Heritage Guild for a lot of reasons. As you already know they rent and have a very large variety of guns in the rental program in all calibers. They always have ammo on the shelf at very reasonable prices and I shoot there every week. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly (except for Janice who's all business). The ROs are very helpful to experienced and noobs alike and once they know you they will often let you swap out guns during a session so you can try more than one in one session. You can hop on 78 and once you cross the border into PA it's 5 minutes. Also you can download their listing of rental guns online although they have added quite a few recently and may not be totally up to date.

I did the same thing you are trying to do about 3 months ago and liked it there so much I became a member getting decent discounts on all services and purchases. I tried 8 or 9 different 9mms and finally ended up buying a CZ sp-01 which I had never even held before. Once I got it, with the experiences I'd had a Heritage I was sure I'd made the right choice and without that trial, I'd probably always wonder because I really liked several of them just not as much.

So all in all I vote for the ride out. By the way, I shoot on Mondays in the late AM and if you ever need to try the SP-01 you can PM me. Costs a bit more right now but worth every penny.

sof, thanks a lot for your offer about CZ. I would really love to get to know someone from the forum, so if I happen to plan to go to RSTP on July 15th (Monday), I'll PM you in advance and maybe see you there.

Sorry if I confused you but I shoot at Heritage in Easton.

Oh and to Blizzarddemon re the price at Heritage, I think it was $20/hour for non members with a 5X for $75 available as well. Membership with unlimited free range time was around $250/year and included other benefits as well. It's all on their web site.