Sign in to follow this  
RubberBullets

.45 dies?

Cabelas in hamburg was pretty well stocked fri on dies..both rifle and pistol calibers... Not to mention the end cap was full of primers(not the 50bmgs that have been there for a month lol) but sm/lg rifle and pistol also

Cabelas in hamburg was pretty well stocked fri on dies..both rifle and pistol calibers... Not to mention the end cap was full of primers(not the 50bmgs that have been there for a month lol) but sm/lg rifle and pistol also

I was there yesterday, plenty of 45 dies available.

Cabelas.com had them about 2 weeks ago. I got myself a set. Just have to be vigilant and set up alerts with all of the major retailers.

I have it set at midway but I'm looking for the taper set. Date keeps getting pushed back. I can find the roll crimp set on places like eBay.

I have it set at midway but I'm looking for the taper set. Date keeps getting pushed back. I can find the roll crimp set on places like eBay.

Go ahead and get the roll crimp set and then get a seperate taper crimp die. Thats the ideal way to do it anyway.

Go ahead and get the roll crimp set and then get a seperate taper crimp die. Thats the ideal way to do it anyway.

I'd not heard that before--is that recommended more for heavy loads?   I've always heard taper crimp only, but then I mostly load bullseye and IPSC loads in .45.   

It's an purely academic question for me.  Can't run two crimp dies in a Dillon 550 anyway.

I never roll crimp .45 acp I'm sure you could even in my revolvers I don't roll crimp I taper crimp I never get bullet jump. I'm sure it was ok back in the day to roll crimp .45 acp but today nope. I've never seen a .45 with a cannelure unless your loading .45 colt and using those big bullets in acp.

He's suggesting NOT utilizing the roll crimp in the seating die, which is fine if you use a separate die to crimp. I do both in the same step for 9mm and never had any issues, since i literally just take the bell off the case, and don't actually crimp. It saves me a spot on the press for my powder cop, and i've herd of more headaches from the hornady powder through expander dies for their powder drop.

I have thought about it, and i can actually piece together a kit, it just comes out to way more then the set is worth.. I really like the bullet sleeve in the seating dies from hornady.