Mikeythumbs

LEO mag capacity

We are issued "standard capacity" mags ie: un-altered mags that are designed for that firearm. Let's not play into the antis "name game". ;)

All magazines over 15 rounds are department owned and issued to Officers by their respective Agency to carry on Duty. Some may also be permitted to carry mags with 15 + capacity by their Administration on Agency Letterhead for personally owned Off Duty guns.

ok....i have a question that may or may not be related, since le are talking in this.......

concerning companies that have said that they won't sell to le what private citizens can't buy. have any of your depts experienced this, or are they bs'ing us?

First, I respect those policies and the decisions to implement them. I agree with the sentiment, even if, in theory, it may make my job harder. However, it appears that most of the companies that are implementing the policy don't do a lot of LEO sales anyway - so it is a safe bet for them to make... A company that holds .05% of the LEO market, and whose LEO sales make up less than 5% of their sales for their company aren't really taking a hit by not selling to LEO Agencies in a few small markets totaling 1% of their already meager LEO sales.

My agency has had no issues getting what we need (M4s and SBR/SBS) other than the standard "supply" issues. We also don't use any of the companies that have that policy to supply the "restricted" items in question.

Work:  Yes.  Off duty:  Like said earlier, with letter from Chief for the purpose of an off duty gun (for carry, not just b/c you want one) which is approved per department guidelines and the Officer qualifies  with every time they qualify with their on duty weapons (quarterly for me).  The off duty gun would be one used besides/instead of the department duty gun when not working or as a backup during work (following guidelines for carrying while on duty).  Rifles?  I doubt it.  I would guess if your department allows you to purchase your own rifles for on duty (not likely in NJ).  My duty gun is a Glock 22 and my off duty is a Kahr P9 (low capacity anyway :) )   Some guys use different types of Glock or other high capacity off duty weapons.

First, I respect those policies and the decisions to implement them. I agree with the sentiment, even if, in theory, it may make my job harder. However, it appears that most of the companies that are implementing the policy don't do a lot of LEO sales anyway - so it is a safe bet for them to make... A company that holds .05% of the LEO market, and whose LEO sales make up less than 5% of their sales for their company aren't really taking a hit by not selling to LEO Agencies in a few small markets totaling 1% of their already meager LEO sales.

My agency has had no issues getting what we need (M4s and SBR/SBS) other than the standard "supply" issues. We also don't use any of the companies that have that policy to supply the "restricted" items in question.

ya know? that makes sense.....marketing ploy on their part.

just so you guys know....i meant no disrespect towards anyone by asking that.....i was curious though

My take on LEO magazine capacity is, that any LEO should have whatever he needs to do his/her job safely. If they require 100 round drum mags so be it. The bad guys don't follow the rules. I truly don't think anyone on this forum would think otherwise.

This is your answer. Thread over unless you have further questions.

Quick.. lock this up before we head down a dark road :p

If a state wants to limit mag capacity for its law abiding citizens then it should limit Leo's capacity as well.

Personally I think we should ALL not be limited