5th4x4

Build at last!

Serious question ;Though it is incomplete, wouldn't that be considered an illegal transfer of a firearm ?
if the person who owns the house doesn't have an fid then I believe it is. It would be easier to have the upper shipped there instead. Or right to the ffl doing the work.

Excellent info/warning Lalo!Once I had made my decision to build as opposed to buy, it had been my intention to build the entire rifle from scratch.HOWEVER.... for expediency purposes (primarily) I have relaxed that stance in regard to the upper. It's a reluctant compromise, but it's one that I've made peace with, so I'm glad that you have continued to showcase these deals that you are finding.As per the 2nd link (BCM)..... I think that's a go for me. I've looked at so many different uppers/parts of uppers, and even after all of that, I still find myself not truly knowing what to go with.Therefore I'm definitely willing to defer to the guys who have been with me all along since I showed up here. And you have certainly provided me with good scoop in the past (or at least I assume it's good scoop, since there haven't been any shoot-outs or flame-wars that have broken out after any of your recommendations).So ok Jorge.... I'm going for it.Many thanks for your many suggestions and links!
BCM is good to go. I have a 14.5" that is a beast. You've chosen wisely.

Ok, I went with the charging handle and bolt carrier group add-on. (which means I'm really - and finally! - starting to knock a lot of these parts off of the to-do list now!)According to that picture (if that is truly indicative of what will arrive here), it looks like it has an M16-style flash-suppressor attached. Yes/No?Regardless, I'll need (want) a muzzle brake, so when I look for that, should I assume that the size (thread, I guess) is all pretty much a standard size(?).Once again, a bit of research would probably answer that for me (for the most part, at least), but once again, I've propelled myself a bit more forward in a directions that I hadn't expected to be at this point (I'm actually supposed to be preparing for a meeting right now! ;) ), so I'll take whatever wisdom that anyone would like to toss my way.And btw, that Daniel Defense brake that everyone was praising..... I have questions(actually.... I'll post that separately)
. It is most likely a flash suppressor unless you chose a different option. Either way you will need to have it brought somewhere to pin a muzzle you choose (legal of course) and shave the bayo lug. I would see if its possible just to ship directly to the person doing the work for you. No need to move the lower here or there or whatever.

if the person who owns the house doesn't have an fid then I believe it is. It would be easier to have the upper shipped there instead. Or right to the ffl doing the work.

Yes, I stand corrected. Actually, for the past few builds I've done, I've always had the complete upper first and I've neutered that (pin/weld comp and shave the bayo lug) before obtaining a lower. Then when the lower is about to arrive, I bring the upper to someone else's house for just enough time for me to pin the stock.

Since you've already ordered the part, I would just take the upper to the gunsmith as soon as you receive it before you even open the box.

Also, don't forget magazines. MidWestPX is a great source. Some local shops might also carry NJ legal AR mags.

I pick up my lower later today.

The parts kit is due to arrive tomorrow.

The upper was shipped a few hours ago.

....so of course there are big deals being offered now! ;)

OH, C'MON!!!!!!!!!

I just went to pick up my lower receiver.

D E L A Y E D !!!

FBI check. The disorderly conduct from 34 years ago raises it's head yet again.

I just went through this exact same thing with the freakin State. 

Who next? the International Brotherhood of Pastry Chefs? Are they going to get the next crack at delaying this??

Fair enough. It's my record. I own it. But..................... pppppppppffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttt

To make matters worse, my local FFL/gunsmith is nothing more than a paper-pusher in search of a personality (although it's highly doubtful that he has even the slightest intention of actually looking for one anyway). 

His "shop" is the size of a glorified mop-closet... occupied by a hoarder.

However, he hoards everything except firearms. Or firearms accessories. Or anything firearms-related. In fact, if there is actually a gun in there somewhere.... it's probably the type that is filled with water.

Pinning? No, he doesn't do that. Perhaps that's because he has no bench. Or tools. Or space. Or even a mop... although the place could definitely use one.

So overall, my lower receiver transfer has pretty much been a total bust so far.

On a positive note, my upper has been spotted in Wisconsin. So as long as the Feds actually allow me to eventually build this thing, I've got another piece making it's way towards me.

To make matters worse, my local FFL/gunsmith is nothing more than a paper-pusher in search of a personality (although it's highly doubtful that he has even the slightest intention of actually looking for one anyway). 

However, he hoards everything except firearms. Or firearms accessories. Or anything firearms-related. In fact, if there is actually a gun in there somewhere.... it's probably the type that is filled with water.

Pinning? No, he doesn't do that. Perhaps that's because he has no bench. Or tools. Or space. Or even a mop... although the place could definitely use one.

So overall, my lower receiver transfer has pretty much been a total bust so far.

On a positive note, my upper has been spotted in Wisconsin. So as long as the Feds actually allow me to eventually build this thing, I've got another piece making it's way towards me.

do you weld? because if you can weld putting the brake on is not difficult.. 

I used to weld.... but that was during 'shop' class, back in HS.

Nowadays, I can solder... but that's about the extent of it. 

But bhunted had mentioned a place out in the Woodland Park area for that kind of stuff though, so I'll just have to increase the size of my AO, I guess.

To make matters worse, my local FFL/gunsmith is nothing more than a paper-pusher in search of a personality (although it's highly doubtful that he has even the slightest intention of actually looking for one anyway).

This is a good lesson in ffl research. Know what your getting into lol.

This is a good lesson in ffl research. Know what your getting into lol.

Yup. A guy named Jon mentioned exactly that early in this thread. 

And now that I actually have some experience in the matter, I totally understand.

Yup. A guy named Jon mentioned exactly that early in this thread. 

And now that I actually have some experience in the matter, I totally understand.

OOPS!

Apparently this "guy" Jon is an Admin here :p

So lets try that again:

"Yup, Jon the Admin mentioned exactly that early in this thread" ;)

Trying to grasp onto whatever forward progress can be found at this point, and that came in the form of today's UPS delivery.... 

lpk.jpg

A minor advance (to say the least) but it's ground gained.

Of course my enthusiasm was severely tempered by the fact that the FBI is currently playing keep-away with my lower receiver while they determine exactly what kind of a domestic terrorist the 18 year-old me was/is   :/

(which, if they are truly interested, would be the kind that actually has the hair-brained idea that the 2nd Amendment should actually apply to me!)

But I digress.

So anyway, not even 5 minutes after the parts kit was delivered, I received a call from the (*cough*) FFL (*cough*) informing me that the lower had just been released for transfer. 

So I'll be picking that up later tonight.

(hopefully for real, this time!)

So that's 2 pieces of good news back-to-back. And that means that I can actually start building something tomorrow! 

Ok, so it's nothing worth shooting off fireworks and popping bottles of champagne about, but a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, and this is another simple single step along the way. 

And speaking of thousand mile journeys....

The upper that I had ordered left Hodgkins, IL at 4:04am this morning. So I'm hoping that the driver has a lead foot, and a girlfriend at the Parsippany sorting facility that he can't wait to see! Hammer down!!!

Nice. Make sure to clean the grease off all the components of the LPK, then lightly lubricate them before you install them. A wipe down with an oil/lube saturated cotton patch would do just fine. Do the same with the lower, except it wont have any grease on it, instead it'll just be really dry. Lower doesn't have to be lubed (of course) but wiping it down with a silicone rag or again, an oil saturated patch, will give it a nice shine.

If you've never installed a LPK on a lower, take your time, use lots of masking tape around the bolt catch lever when installing it and be extra careful when installing the pivot pin detent because that will fly away on you. Youtube is your friend.

When you're putting in detent springs put the lower in a plastic bag in case a spring goes boing! Nothing worse than losing a spring and having to wait 3-5 days for a .50 piece to come in the mail.

When you're putting in detent springs put the lower in a plastic bag in case a spring goes boing! Nothing worse than losing a spring and having to wait 3-5 days for a .50 piece to come in the mail.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Detents and springs with take off with rocket velocity.

Nice. Make sure to clean the grease off all the components of the LPK, then lightly lubricate them before you install them.

I didn't wipe them down. Does it affect anything if you don't? Aside from any metal shavings that might accumulate during machining, I couldn't come up with a reason for it. :unknw:

Getting lots of good wisdom here:

the pivot pin detent will fly away from you;

put the lower in a plastic bag;

the Lord loves a workin' man;

don't trust whitey;

see a doctor and get rid of it.

Oh wait... some of that I learned at the movies.

Now just 30 minutes away from picking up the lower.

I didn't wipe them down. Does it affect anything if you don't? Aside from any metal shavings that might accumulate during machining, I couldn't come up with a reason for it. :unknw:

I didn't wipe them off in the haste of my first couple builds. Nothing negative happened.

You can also masking tape up the receiver around the pins you'll be pushing in so of your punch slips you won't have a nice silver scratch.

Ask me how I know

I used masking tape on top of electrical tape.

Don't think it would do anything except maybe attract a little more dirt. The last couple of LPKs I used from PSA came in a sealed bag with visible grease everywhere. The cotton patch was black after wiping them down. The others I used from Core15 came a lot cleaner.

Electrical tape works well too.  

Congrats 5th!

On the topic of the pivot pins, I strongly suggest getting this:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/pin-tools/pivot-pin-detent-installation-tool-prod26488.aspx

It is a major PITA to put those detents and springs in, even if you dont lose them.  This will make your build much faster.  You may be able to just borrow one if someone on the forum has one to spare.