5th4x4

Build at last!

Ok, great info. Many thanks guys!

So what I do know (or think that I know) about NJ's infringement of our Constitutionally-protected 2nd Amendment rights, is that we're allowed 2 "evil features" before we cross the line into illegality in this Constitutionally-oppressed state.

So if I pick a muzzle brake as 1 of those features, then I only have one more to choose from.

Am I 'sorta' getting that right?

Also....

So does a flash-suppressor on an M16 actually perform the same function as a muzzle-break does?

I did get the opportunity to fire an AR shortly after I separated from the Corps, but sadly I don't recall the difference in how it handled or recoiled.

And since the M16 was the very first firearm that I ever experienced, I really had no frame of reference regarding recoil. It was the only recoil I had known to that point. And while it did kick pretty good, I was young and relatively undamaged in those days, so I have no idea of the extent of it's recoil.

All I know is that during boot camp we spent 2 weeks at the range. And during the 2nd week, it would be shoot-shoot-shoot all day. And while we were staying at the range, we were all issued shooting jackets (so the shoulder area was padded).

I don't really recall any pain, but I do recall soreness by the time we were done qualifying. Then again, I probably weighed about 140lbs in those days, so I wasn't exactly carrying any of my own cushioning.

The muzzle brake must be permanently attached to the barrel as you are not allowed to have the ability to have a threaded barrel (an evil feature). The comp is not technically an evil feature, its a way to avoid one.

The flash suppressor does what its designed for. Any reduced muzzle rise is a byproduct of a manufacturers design.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24378-is-insert-any-semi-automatic-rifle-legal-in-nj/

Awesome thread for nj semi auto rules

This is your evil feature list for assault rifle.  As you can see, you would have the detachable magazine, and a pistol grip.  If you added any other it would be an assault rifle hence illegal. 

i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A bayonet mount;

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(5) A grenade launcher;

The muzzle brake must be permanently attached to the barrel as you are not allowed to have the ability to have a threaded barrel (an evil feature). 

So I would need to specifically buy a barrel with the muzzle brake already permanently attached?

Or do I need to have someone weld it in place afterward?

Sorry. I'm sure that I could research this myself and not burden you guys with it, but this topic simply came up well before I was really at the point where I would need to begin dealing with it.

That said, I really should start dealing with the upper now too, since 2/3 of my lower is on the way now (tracking info obtained!)

No, there are shops around there that pin anything legal you'd like. There are a wide range of types and styles.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

It gets a little complicated here.  You CAN buy the parts needed to do this individually but if you have that parts to assemble an assault rifle, they you basically have one. 

If you have the lower in  your possession I would go talk to a gun shop who will do your compliance work, and have the parts shipped to them to do.  Some vendors will do compliance work for you when you buy a complete upper, some will not.  

Don't be afraid to ask for opinions on here.  Most of us on here love to talk about guns lol.  

Btw is this the slowest build you guys have ever witnesses, or what :p

What's that classic line from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly?

"If you're gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk"

;)

Lol, there are people on here who sit on lowers for years.  Building it is a good process cause you can work on your own time and budget.  Don't have the money but don't want to buy cheap parts, save up and get what you want. 

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24378-is-insert-any-semi-automatic-rifle-legal-in-nj/

Awesome thread for nj semi auto rules

This is your evil feature list for assault rifle.  As you can see, you would have the detachable magazine, and a pistol grip.  If you added any other it would be an assault rifle hence illegal. 

Ok, so... 

grenade launcher

Well that's off the list. Damn.

(they don't even legally allow you to handle the trigger mechanism of a gas pump in this state, so duh!)

Btw, my lower receiver and Parts Kit are both enroute to me now (well, the receiver is on it's way to my FFL, but you get the idea) so there won't be a lot of "sitting" once those get here. 

Ok, so...

grenade launcher

Well that's off the list. Damn.

(they don't even legally allow you handle the trigger mechanism of a gas pump in this state, so duh!)

Btw, my lower receiver and Parts Kit are both enroute to me now (well, the receiver is on it's way to my FFL, but you get the idea) so there won't be a lot of "sitting" once those get here.

Fret not, my friend, you can always pick up the spikes tactical 37mm "flare launcher"

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st-12-rear-loading-havoc-launcher-p-132.html

Personally I think its a fuzz magnet but seems to be legal lol.

Can't fire them in NJ..

Fret not, my friend, you can always pick up the spikes tactical 37mm "flare launcher"

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st-12-rear-loading-havoc-launcher-p-132.html

Personally I think its a fuzz magnet but seems to be legal lol.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

This is an absolutely awesome upper.  No question.

But do you think he really needs all of that?  For a range toy/home defense gun I don't think he needs to drop 1100 on just the upper.  

This is an absolutely awesome upper.  No question.

But do you think he really needs all of that?  For a range toy/home defense gun I don't think he needs to drop 1100 on just the upper.  

Probably not.  I have it and its awesome.  I also have this...

RKT100-2.jpg

+1

Probably not.  I have it and its awesome.  I also have this...

RKT100-2.jpg

This is more what I was envisioning. 

Its a solid mount, howevet it has some fit issues, not a true 1" diameter.

I just think that there are lightweight metal mounts that put the light closer to the body of the weapon.... and take up a flatter smaller profile on the gun.. 

If you're not building your upper from scratch, this is a good deal. Comes with bolt carrier group, charging handle. Stag is not a bad brand at all.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Stag-Arms-6-8SPC-M4-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/stag%20arms%20model%205h.htm

BCM also makes excellent AR's. This one is in stock, and gives you the option to add a BCM charging handle (which I recommend, I have on all my ARs) and BCG for $220 more. The CH is about $40 retail so you're paying $180 for a quality BCG which is not bad. There are cheaper ones out there but you cannot go wrong with BCM. Doesn't come with a hand guard so you can pick one you like and install it in two seconds. You'll have to purchase a brake/comp and have a gunsmith pin/weld it.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-16-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-16.htm

Remember what people said about having all the PARTS to build an assault weapon. Research "Constructive Intent". This means that you cannot even have the parts to build a complete rifle that does not meet the states legal requirements.

Meaning, since you already have a lower and an LPK, you can purchase a buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring and stock and have it shipped to your house and finish building the lower yourself. Even if you have the stock and it's still adjustable, that's ok for now because you dont have the rest of the parts to build a complete rifle. Bring it to a gunsmith to have the stock pinned and you're good to go. If you did not get the stock pinned and had the upper shipped to you, then you will have the parts to build an illegal rifle (stock not pinned + threaded barrel with no comp.

If you come across this situation, you could temporarily bring the complete lower with unpinned stock to a family members house while you wait to receive the upper. Once you get it, bring it to a gunsmith to replace the flash hider with a comp and have it pinned/welded.

PLEASE NOTE: Most if not all gunsmiths will NOT allow you to bring in a complete illegal rifle in order to have it neutered. I would get the rest of the lower parts first, then deal with legalizing that. Then once your upper is on its way, bring the "legal" lower to your buddy's house while you bring the upper to the gunsmith. People will say you dont have to worry about this because big brother is not watching everyone but hey, if it will put your mind at ease, go for it. If you don't care, go ahead and take the risk.

Excellent info/warning Lalo!

Once I had made my decision to build as opposed to buy, it had been my intention to build the entire rifle from scratch.

HOWEVER.... for expediency purposes (primarily) I have relaxed that stance in regard to the upper. It's a reluctant compromise, but it's one that I've made peace with, so I'm glad that you have continued to showcase these deals that you are finding.

As per the 2nd link (BCM)..... I think that's a go for me. I've looked at so many different uppers/parts of uppers, and even after all of that, I still find myself not truly knowing what to go with.

Therefore I'm definitely willing to defer to the guys who have been with me all along since I showed up here. And you have certainly provided me with good scoop in the past (or at least I assume it's good scoop, since there haven't been any shoot-outs or flame-wars that have broken out after any of your recommendations).

So ok Jorge.... I'm going for it.

Many thanks for your many suggestions and links!

If you're not building your upper from scratch, this is a good deal. Comes with bolt carrier group, charging handle. Stag is not a bad brand at all.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Stag-Arms-6-8SPC-M4-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/stag%20arms%20model%205h.htm

BCM also makes excellent AR's. This one is in stock, and gives you the option to add a BCM charging handle (which I recommend, I have on all my ARs) and BCG for $220 more. The CH is about $40 retail so you're paying $180 for a quality BCG which is not bad. There are cheaper ones out there but you cannot go wrong with BCM. Doesn't come with a hand guard so you can pick one you like and install it in two seconds. You'll have to purchase a brake/comp and have a gunsmith pin/weld it.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-16-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-16.htm

Remember what people said about having all the PARTS to build an assault weapon. Research "Constructive Intent". This means that you cannot even have the parts to build a complete rifle that does not meet the states legal requirements.

Meaning, since you already have a lower and an LPK, you can purchase a buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring and stock and have it shipped to your house and finish building the lower yourself. Even if you have the stock and it's still adjustable, that's ok for now because you dont have the rest of the parts to build a complete rifle. Bring it to a gunsmith to have the stock pinned and you're good to go. If you did not get the stock pinned and had the upper shipped to you, then you will have the parts to build an illegal rifle (stock not pinned + threaded barrel with no comp.

If you come across this situation, you could temporarily bring the complete lower with unpinned stock to a family members house while you wait to receive the upper. Once you get it, bring it to a gunsmith to replace the flash hider with a comp and have it pinned/welded.

PLEASE NOTE: Most if not all gunsmiths will NOT allow you to bring in a complete illegal rifle in order to have it neutered. I would get the rest of the lower parts first, then deal with legalizing that. Then once your upper is on its way, bring the "legal" lower to your buddy's house while you bring the upper to the gunsmith. People will say you dont have to worry about this because big brother is not watching everyone but hey, if it will put your mind at ease, go for it. If you don't care, go ahead and take the risk.

Serious question ;

Though it is incomplete, wouldn't that be considered an illegal transfer of a firearm ?

Ok, I went with the charging handle and bolt carrier group add-on.  (which means I'm really - and finally! - starting to knock a lot of these parts off of the to-do list now!)

According to that picture (if that is truly indicative of what will arrive here), it looks like it has an M16-style flash-suppressor attached. Yes/No?

Regardless, I'll need (want) a muzzle brake, so when I look for that, should I assume that the size (thread, I guess) is all pretty much a standard size(?).

Once again, a bit of research would probably answer that for me (for the most part, at least), but once again, I've propelled myself a bit more forward in a directions that I hadn't expected to be at this point (I'm actually supposed to be preparing for a meeting right now! ;) ), so I'll take whatever wisdom that anyone would like to toss my way.

And btw, that Daniel Defense brake that everyone was praising..... I have questions

(actually.... I'll post that separately)