Barms

WTF.. do i have bionic ears ??

i put foam plugs and muffs on and I am still concerned about shots being too loud.

I just ordered both the medium and small Surefire EP5 max block.   I just put the mediums into both my ears and I can hear my TV set on normal volume perfectly fine.  I kid you not.  I have my tv set to regular volume.  I put both EP5s in and I can still hear every word being said on the TV.  I'm sure they are all the way in I can almost feel them touching my insides..

Could my ear canal be so large that I need the Large EP5s or do I just have bionic hearing?   This is pissing me the hell off!

For you guys who use the Surefires...  Please do a test and have the TV on regular volume and then put them in and be honest and tell me if you can still hear dialogue clearly (well I don't mean "clearly" but if you can still make out what people are saying).  If you say no I must be a freak of nature.

Am I gonna throw more money down the drain on experimenting with more ear protection?

Surefires work that way. They kick in at higher decibels like gun shots. You can use them with the lil plugs in if you need more protection. I use the mediums.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Hmmm....get yourself a good pair of muffs and supplement them with foam plugs.

like I said above.. i'm already doing that..   and yet I still want better protection.. so that's why i'm trying the Surefires.

Surefires work that way. They kick in at higher decibels like gun shots. You can use them with the lil plugs in if you need more protection. I use the mediums.

Typos courtesy Apple...

I just can't believe the mediums are working correctly that way..  I bought the EP5 MAX BLOCK.   If I can still hear the TV fine how can that be protection for me.  I'm not going to even take a chance with these in the range and "cross my fingers" that I wont' be insanely ringing after an hour.   The only thing I can think of is that I need the LARGE gels to form a better seal.

I have Peltors too. But the Surefires work fine for me. Btw, they are not suppose to block out all sound. If you don't want them, give them to me. ;)

I've used mine indoors and out with a shotgun no prob. They have to be inserted right and there is a left and right. If you go to their site, I believe they explain it. Other ear plugs I've seen even have eardrum like canisters that work the same way.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Oh no. Mipa.. It's Cartman? ;)Seriously, stick them in deep and try them. You're hearing will be fine. Wear them in a live fire range behind everyone. You'll know by then if they work.Just don't forget to stick them in.... I get caught bs-ing and occasionally mess up my already owned Tinnitus by forgetting I took one out.hehe..... ;)Btw.. Small? Should have got med to large unless you are lil guy... Most guys wear the larger size that I've seen.

Have you ever been abducted by aliens?If not, I doubt you have any sort of implants that could be considered "bionic" hearing.Ever experienced a complete memory loss for several hours and have rectal pain that required medical evaluation?
Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HDTypos courtesy Apple...

Seriously, stick them in deep and try them. Wear them...behind everyone. Just don't forget to stick them in.... I get caught...and... mess up my... Tinnitus...I took one out. hehe..... ;)Btw.. Small? Should have got med to large...

I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing as everyone else...

:shok:

I have the Surefires... They have different ratings...I just looked up his model.... I have the EP4s... 24db...His EP5s are fully blocked 26db... Either way, his are a tad higher rated than mine and mine are fine. They have to fit right though. I just didn't realize his was full plug.

I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing as everyone else... :shok:
Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HDTypos courtesy Apple...

I've tried a lot of different products as well and wasn't satisfied with any. muffs work great but after 5 hours at the range give me a headache because of the pressure it applies... so I went to my local Audiologist and ask for custom ear plugs plus I checked my hearing ( my wife ,of course, was right >>> I have hearing problems ... NOT ... apparently I have a computer chip in my head that automatically tunes her out when she speaks ... I can't help it ... no way of removing it...) anyways custom ear plugs is the way to go brother!!! ease process , a week wait and u will never worry about it again!!!

also I would recommend custom ear plugs to anybody who has "irregular ear shape" ( I guess she was trying to be nice ) .

why not just get a pair of howard leight electronic muffs

Have those already..   want something stronger.. I know it sounds insane but I just don't think they are good enough..  if I am to continue with this hobby/sport of mine I have to feel completely sure I'm getting the right protection.  I had a scare 3 weeks ago doing the clay shotgun thing and i'm over-paranoid about my ears now.

Have you ever been abducted by aliens? If not, I doubt you have any sort of implants that could be considered "bionic" hearing. Ever experienced a complete memory loss for several hours and have rectal pain that required medical evaluation?

Voluntarily induced or involuntary?   :-)

Okay, so hunted says he is okay with his not blocking out full sound..    I can put my dilemma to rest if anybody who has Surefires and can set theirs to full block out please do the TV experiment above for me..   I think maybe I just need a larger size.

The size may very well be your prob. If they don't go in tight, size is a prob. But if they are tight, make sure you push them in till the flange is also flush. Those little fin things will collapse as they go in and act like a seal.

Incidentally, they don't block my wife's snoring, gun shots are ok. Go figure Lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Have those already..   want something stronger.. I know it sounds insane but I just don't think they are good enough..  if I am to continue with this hobby/sport of mine I have to feel completely sure I'm getting the right protection.  I had a scare 3 weeks ago doing the clay shotgun thing and i'm over-paranoid about my ears now.

Generations of hunters have hunted with centerfire rifles and shotguns with no hearing protection at all. You're over thinking this. Muffs over plugs should give you more protection than you should ever need. If you are still concerned consult your audiologist.  

The size may very well be your prob. If they don't go in tight, size is a prob. But if they are tight, make sure you push them in till the flange is also flush. Those little fin things will collapse as they go in and act like a seal.

Please continue, only slower...

great video thanks

to be honest, I don't use these cause I could never get them to fit properly. I will try this

I was the same way, just jam them in my ear and wonder why they didn't work. When fitted properly they are much better then earmuffs.

The key is to roll them tight and get the ear canal open. The first time you get them rolled tight and they slide into your ear canal you will immediatly know you have em in correctly. Then you will call yourself an idiot for doing it wrong all those years.