junkmanted

OK you AR guys I'm looking for a 223 - 5.5 muzzle brake

I am a fan of the pof and the battlecomp. 

http://www.pof-usa.com/shop/index.php?id_product=15&controller=product

http://www.battlecomp.com/

I only use these two on my ARs, mostly the POF, and both work very well but I think the pof is a little less noisy.  Depends on the look you want given both reduce muzzle rise to almost nill

You may already know the difference, but just in case you are not sure

a Muzzle break and a Flash Hider have on basic difference:

The Flash Hider is open on the end

The Muzzle break is closed (Wit ha drilled hole to allow the bullet to exit of course)

I'm not familiar with the model you post the link to, but unless it has a baffle somewhere

between the lug the threads on the barre and the exit port - it looks like its more of a shroud

or FH / compensator than a Muzzle break

You would be surprised how many people sell items and call them Muzzle breaks when in fact they 

are Flash Hiders - it is freakin' amazing!

The break that Paul listed above is small, light weigh and very well made. and it looks like a FH for those

who want to keep the "look" of their original AR.

Paul do you have anything in 5.5 inches ? its a 10.5 barrel

Can I ask why you are using a 10.5" barrel? The real advantage of an SBR (I am issued 2 of them) is the short barrel. Ballistics, velocity, and range are all degraded when compared to a 14.5" or 16" barreled AR. You are really limiting yourself. You have to have total barrel length of over 16", so why not make the mandatory barrel length work to your advantage for the whole 14."-16" instead of having 10.5" of usable barrel and the rest just taking up space?

You are also limiting your break/comp options. There are not a whole lot o 5.5" muzzle devices, and your ability to choose one that works the "best" will be even slimmer since you have such a small stable to choose from.

heres some of the replies im getting back from people .

Simple question is it a brake or flash hider

"we call it a muzzle brake but it does hide the flash. Read your states law regarding them for specifics. "

"Language is everything. Your state most likely considers any muzzle attachment a flash hider." 

Everything I see looks like a flash hider to me ! 

I have questions sent to a couple venders on line  .

heres one 

http://www.veriforcetactical.com/5.5-Inch-Muzzle-Brake-For-Ar15

That looks kinda cool.

I am a fan of the pof and the battlecomp. 

http://www.pof-usa.com/shop/index.php?id_product=15&controller=product

http://www.battlecomp.com/

I only use these two on my ARs, mostly the POF, and both work very well but I think the pof is a little less noisy.  Depends on the look you want given both reduce muzzle rise to almost nill

NOICE.

You may already know the difference, but just in case you are not sure

a Muzzle break and a Flash Hider have on basic difference:

The Flash Hider is open on the end

The Muzzle break is closed (Wit ha drilled hole to allow the bullet to exit of course)

I think I get it now.  Lets say the flash suppressor/muzzle break is a can of coke. 

For the muzzle break, the bottom of the coke can has as hole in it.

For the flash suppressor, the entire bottom of the coke can is missing, plus theres some cool cut out designs in the sides.  :mail:  

Take that one you original posted and ask Paul to have his guy weld

the end like he does with his Branson style Brakes.

Basicly you just need to make sure the threads and the exit port are

perfectly in line and your should be good to go........

I can do that .. I already made up a aluminum rod to put in the bore for alignment.

I was shying away from that because after I weld I have no way of bluing and cold blue isnt the way 

heres some of the replies im getting back from people .

Simple question is it a brake or flash hider

"we call it a muzzle brake but it does hide the flash. Read your states law regarding them for specifics.[/size] "[/size]

"Language is everything. Your state most likely considers any muzzle attachment a flash hider."[/size] [/size]

I know this doesn't help you with your short barrel but...

First a disclaimer - IANAL - the below information is from a discussion with a Lt at the NJSP Ballistics Unit. I have no documentation on this. Also keep on mind, most of the decisions regarding what is "evil" and passes the assault rifle "test" is legal OPINION based on the law as written and not factual definitions.

According to the NJSP Ballistics unit, they don't follow the Fed guideline for the definition of a Flash Hider - they do not measure the actual flash suppressing qualities of the device, although they do recommend following the Fed Definitions as a good guideline. The NJSP definition is if the opening in the muzzle device that the bullet exits is the same as the caliber being shot through it (with a few fraction of an inch as appropriate).

Basically, if a 5.56/.223 projectile travels through a ~ 5.56.223 opening through a solid disk after leaving the end of the barrel but before leaving the end of the muzzle device you should be good to go. The "pinky test" is a good guideline - If you can reach your pinky (or larger then caliber specific rod) thought the muzzle device and touch the end of the barrel directly = Flash hider. If not = muzzle break/comp. There are exceptions, think vortex style. Flash hider where, you can't reach your pinky all the way down, but the muzzle device is open with prongs going all the way to the barrel in the sides, there is no "disk" with appropriate sized opening.

I know, I know, as with most things in this state, clear as Mud. Anyway...

Two that I know are good (they are legal, because I asked specifically about these two, and work great) - the PWS FSC556 and the Battle Comp. I am still wondering about the NJ Legality of the BCM comps.