chrisfc923

Pics of my MP15 Sport

Sup everyone... just wanted thank people here for help on some questions I had. Here are some pics 

first pic is when I first picked her up and bought some goodies.

20130718_195954_resized.jpg
2nd pic is the first set of goodies installed

20130720_184256_resized.jpg

3rd pic is me being OCD and replacing the handguard again with a diamondhead vrs FF, got matching magpul front sight, mako hand grip ,and installed a mako t-grip. this is even before shooting her biggrin.gif

20130729_201737_resized.jpg
Being OCD again after my first range session, I got rid of my optics and replaced it with a lucid hd7, installed magpul BAD, and blackhawk sling. I didn't take pics but will soon. 

Only thing I want to add would be the mega tactical trigger which seems impossible to find, and BA Ambi safety. Then off to go get cerakoted barret bronze.

Have you shot it after the gas block swap? How did that go?

yep, shot it and no gas issues so far. everything seems to eject just fine. The only thing that somewhat worries me is that this is screwed in. I drilled some dimples in the barrel to help secure it but still paranoid it'll loosen up one day.

yep, shot it and no gas issues so far. everything seems to eject just fine. The only thing that somewhat worries me is that this is screwed in. I drilled some dimples in the barrel to help secure it but still paranoid it'll loosen up one day.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That will work just fine along with just a drop of red Loctite on the treads.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That will work just fine along with just a drop of red Loctite on the treads.

i was going to use loctite but want to eventually upgrade my barrel so figured i'd risk not using it to prevent me from going nuts trying to take it off later on. this hobby is expensive :roulette:

i was going to use loctite but want to eventually upgrade my barrel so figured i'd risk not using it to prevent me from going nuts trying to take it off later on. this hobby is expensive :roulette:

Heat gun on the threads and it breaks right down. No biggie.

Serious question, why spend so much on a less than basic Ar? Then pimp it out?

Why not spend the extra cash used in your upgrades to buy a complete rifle?

I know it's fun to upgrade and play around and also make it the way you want it. But the main thing I don't like about the sport is the missing muzzle brake.

It's your money and you can do whatever you want, but I just wanted to know what made you go this route?

I know it's fun to upgrade and play around and also make it the way you want it. But the main thing I don't like about the sport is the missing muzzle brake.

It's your money and you can do whatever you want, but I just wanted to know what made you go this

I can not speak for him.. but generally people get into a gun like this because they see the cost as obtainable.. and are a little overwhelmed to build their own... but you hit it on the head.. by the time you buy a basic rifle.. and 8 million other parts.. you could have more than likely built the gun of your dreams from day one.. 

It's your money and you can do whatever you want, but I just wanted to know what made you go this route?

great question and basically when i first ordered i didn't have the intention to really do much to it at first. I wanted a good AR I can learn off of and upgrade from there. then one thing led to another and I was replacing or adding on things lol. In your opinion though what makes you feel that the sport is a less than basic AR? Its gotten great reviews, has great reliability, and like any AR can be upgraded. this includes either replacing the barrel or adding threads for a muzzle break. Besides the lack of a forward assist, which I rather not have, and a dust cover what does the sport not have that others do? did you base quality based solely on the fact that its lower priced?

I can not speak for him.. but generally people get into a gun like this because they see the cost as obtainable.. and are a little overwhelmed to build their own... but you hit it on the head.. by the time you buy a basic rifle.. and 8 million other parts.. you could have more than likely built the gun of your dreams from day one.. 

bingo, as a first ar, i didn't think i had the patience or ability to build my own. as i'm learning to do all the work on my sport i'm a lot more comfortable knowing now that I can handle my own build. 

great question and basically when i first ordered i didn't have the intention to really do much to it at first. I wanted a good AR I can learn off of and upgrade from there. then one thing led to another and I was replacing or adding on things lol. In your opinion though what makes you feel that the sport is a less than basic AR? Its gotten great reviews, has great reliability, and like any AR can be upgraded. this includes either replacing the barrel or adding threads for a muzzle break. Besides the lack of a forward assist, which I rather not have, and a dust cover what does the sport not have that others do? did you base quality based solely on the fact that its lower priced?

why would you rather not have a forward assist... o O 

this is the situation to be honest with you...

if you was a decent shooting off the shelf AR that you plan to pretty much leave alone.. then guns like the sport are a great choice.. I have an M&P15... ran fine...

if you want to modify a bunch of stuff buying an off the shelf AR and then paying to replace everything has you upside down in no time..

no dust cover

no forward assist

no barrel threads

basic pistol grip

basic stock

basic trigger - the first thing I would have upgraded

basic handguard

carbine length gas system - which is more a preference issue I prefer mid..

anyway.. you could go on and on.. if you are going to tinker.. if you are going to modify.. then just save yourself some money and build the gun to start with and use quality parts that shoot your shooting style..  as opposed to spending retail only so you can ditch most of the parts it comes with.. so you can rebuy the parts you would have liked to have had from the beginning...

why would you rather not have a forward assist... o O 

this is the situation to be honest with you...

if you was a decent shooting off the shelf AR that you plan to pretty much leave alone.. then guns like the sport are a great choice.. I have an M&P15... ran fine...

if you want to modify a bunch of stuff buying an off the shelf AR and then paying to replace everything has you upside down in no time..

no dust cover

no forward assist

no barrel threads

basic pistol grip

basic stock

basic trigger - the first thing I would have upgraded

basic handguard

carbine length gas system - which is more a preference issue I prefer mid..

anyway.. you could go on and on.. if you are going to tinker.. if you are going to modify.. then just save yourself some money and build the gun to start with and use quality parts that shoot your shooting style..  as opposed to spending retail only so you can ditch most of the parts it comes with.. so you can rebuy the parts you would have liked to have had from the beginning...

totally agreed but my intentions when i first bought was to just buy and shoot to get to know the ar platform better. Didn't last too long as my OCD kicked in and i wanted to make changes :) in regards to the FA, I rather not have it. from what i see more people use it as a crutch and make a situation worse by using the FA. its good to have but i like a more streamlined look of not having it there. dust cover? after the first shot its all the same and I live in NJ not the desert. worse case I can always get a stripped upper to get both. And yes I replaced all you have listed above but adding what I paid I'm still ahead at least couple hundred bucks then if I were to have built my gun. Would the quality have been better? Maybe... but again I bought this initially as a starter. also this is for the range so I probably wouldn't benefit from the difference anyway. I don't disagree with what you're saying but from the price I paid for the rifle I'm still ahead price-wise in my eyes even after replacing some parts.

You know, I find that this sport/hobby is much like paintball. When you first get in to it you find yourself overwhelmed with all of the options and he pricing of all the different brands and accessories. You go to the store and find yourself talking to the sales guy who pushes you or talks you in to the tippmann or spyder marker because its in stock or on sale and had everything you need to get started and will provide you with years of use. Not to mention it fit in your bugdet! After you use it a few times you realize you would like a different grip, or a different barrel or a different hand guard... Or the Co2 tank is junk and you want a fiberglas tank. Oh yes not to mention that the people you play with/against are using the upgraded markers you really wanted in the beginning but the pocketbook wouldn't allow.

So now you have started shelling out money on upgrades and are learning about your weapon and its inner workings. Fast forward a few hundred dollars in upgrades and months... Your entry level marker is now as "hooked up" as its going to get! You have what you consider a reliable marker that fits your style. You spent nearly double what you would have spent if you bought it this way from the beginning. BUT... You now have the knowledge on how to assemble the marker and service it, you've gained knowledge the different upgrade parts available and you now realize that if you have to do it all again you'll just build one from the ground up the way you want it. In fact, that's exactly what you are doing with a new project!.

Now that is just how I see this sport relating to paintball. I see and talk to guys daily who are just getting in to shooting and are buying the M&P sport it buy a mossberg 715t with the mindset that they will be upgrading to make it what they want.

I always urge first timers to save and build our own but it always comes down to instant gradification. I can wait a few months and build my own AR or I can buy this one and be able to shoot all summer with my friends and upgrade it later.

Either way I think is good. I would urge a shooter to wait but if they can't they can't.

totally agreed but my intentions when i first bought was to just buy and shoot to get to know the ar platform better. Didn't last too long as my OCD kicked in and i wanted to make changes :) in regards to the FA, I rather not have it. from what i see more people use it as a crutch and make a situation worse by using the FA. its good to have but i like a more streamlined look of not having it there. dust cover? after the first shot its all the same and I live in NJ not the desert. worse case I can always get a stripped upper to get both. And yes I replaced all you have listed above but adding what I paid I'm still ahead at least couple hundred bucks then if I were to have built my gun. Would the quality have been better? Maybe... but again I bought this initially as a starter. also this is for the range so I probably wouldn't benefit from the difference anyway. I don't disagree with what you're saying but from the price I paid for the rifle I'm still ahead price-wise in my eyes even after replacing some parts.

I have a similar view.  I chose to buy my AR.   Being new to AR's (and firearms in general), jumping into a full build and all the choices and options was overwhelming.   My opinion was to get something off the shelf, make sure I like it, and use it and then down the road look to upgrade or build.   Right now I'm performing minor upgrades.. a different hand guard, grip..better BUIS.. simple stuff where I can wade into tinkering as my time and comfort allows.    I'm now more comfortable with the idea of building one from the ground up, and now that I've used the off-the-shelf one I have a little better idea what I'd want.. so that's probably in the cards once finances allow.  I can always then sell my older one if it turns out it doesn't match my firing 'style'.

You know, I find that this sport/hobby is much like paintball. When you first get in to it you find yourself overwhelmed with all of the options and he pricing of all the different brands and accessories. You go to the store and find yourself talking to the sales guy who pushes you or talks you in to the tippmann or spyder marker because its in stock or on sale and had everything you need to get started and will provide you with years of use. Not to mention it fit in your bugdet! After you use it a few times you realize you would like a different grip, or a different barrel or a different hand guard... Or the Co2 tank is junk and you want a fiberglas tank. Oh yes not to mention that the people you play with/against are using the upgraded markers you really wanted in the beginning but the pocketbook wouldn't allow.

So now you have started shelling out money on upgrades and are learning about your weapon and its inner workings. Fast forward a few hundred dollars in upgrades and months... Your entry level marker is now as "hooked up" as its going to get! You have what you consider a reliable marker that fits your style. You spent nearly double what you would have spent if you bought it this way from the beginning. BUT... You now have the knowledge on how to assemble the marker and service it, you've gained knowledge the different upgrade parts available and you now realize that if you have to do it all again you'll just build one from the ground up the way you want it. In fact, that's exactly what you are doing with a new project!.

Now that is just how I see this sport relating to paintball. I see and talk to guys daily who are just getting in to shooting and are buying the M&P sport it buy a mossberg 715t with the mindset that they will be upgrading to make it what they want.

I always urge first timers to save and build our own but it always comes down to instant gradification. I can wait a few months and build my own AR or I can buy this one and be able to shoot all summer with my friends and upgrade it later.

Either way I think is good. I would urge a shooter to wait but if they can't they can't.

lol reading this you couldn't be more right... I'm going to make some rookie mistakes. That being said when I do decide to upgrade, which won't be until I've put a good amount of rounds in, would it be better to start from scratch or just replace the receivers? I was thinking of eventually replacing the upper reciever, BCG, and barrel. For the lower, I don't see where it would be beneficial for me to change that out. I would replace the trigger but all else seems the same to me. Am I wrong to think that?

You know, in my opinion once you are comfortable with things, I would build a while new rifle from the ground up using the knowledge you have aquired along the way and the back up of the knowledge base of this forum. Especially If you are looking to upgrade your current upper or lower. i would look at it from this stand point... you've spent a lot on upgrades already and by buying a new upper and lower BCG and trigger system... you are basically starting a new rifle anyway. . It might be wise to start compiling accessories for your "new build" and start building a whole new rifle from the ground up. Using the knowdge you have gained this far and the knowledge base of this forum you should do ok! I was a little scared when I built my first AR. But now it's something fun to do!

Btw you can always keep your M&P as a back up/loaner!

I have a great suggestion to this debate and believe me I always think this debate is useful

I think it boils down to putting real dollar figures into it. I think newbies don't really know how much the upgrade parts are. All they see is a tricked out AR for $1300 and the sport for $600.

It's impossible to know if the 600 plus all the upgrades would cost more or less than the 1300 right out the gate

If i was hiring an "AR consultant" I would ask please provide me with a parts list for a quality rifle that would total $850, then parts for $1200, then one for $1500. Then the rookie can decide ahead what he's getting for the dough.

Or what I'm trying to say is did the OP all in now spend 300 more or 700 more after his ad ons ?

I Love the paintball message above. I hope you guys understand what I mean here. Frankly I would love to sit with a guy and build a dream rifle and pay him 10 percent build fee

I have a great suggestion to this debate and believe me I always think this debate is useful

I think it boils down to putting real dollar figures into it. I think newbies don't really know how much the upgrade parts are. All they see is a tricked out AR for $1300 and the sport for $600.

It's impossible to know if the 600 plus all the upgrades would cost more or less than the 1300 right out the gate

If i was hiring an "AR consultant" I would ask please provide me with a parts list for a quality rifle that would total $850, then parts for $1200, then one for $1500. Then the rookie can decide ahead what he's getting for the dough.

Or what I'm trying to say is did the OP all in now spend 300 more or 700 more after his ad ons ?

I Love the paintball message above. I hope you guys understand what I mean here. Frankly I would love to sit with a guy and build a dream rifle and pay him 10 percent build fee

How much?

The trigger alone in my ar15 was $250.00

The reason of full build goes beyond money savings... It goes into building a custom weapon system that is designed to fit you and your shooting style...

Like I said earlier if you were going to buy a rifle... Use it as a plinker... And not mess with it at all.. Any decent quality Off the shelf ar15 will do fine....

If you are after "the gun" then chances are a build is better

Vlad: And you speak the truth yet again. If most people are plinkers (like me) I always forget to keep that in prospective.

But hobbies are addictive nonetheless. Some guys get an M3 and never get near a race track

How much?

The trigger alone in my ar15 was $250.00

The reason of full build goes beyond money savings... It goes into building a custom weapon system that is designed to fit you and your shooting style...

Like I said earlier if you were going to buy a rifle... Use it as a plinker... And not mess with it at all.. Any decent quality Off the shelf ar15 will do fine....

If you are after "the gun" then chances are a build is better

For someone new the reason to buy goes beyond cost as well.   Starting with something you know will work, and if it doesn't there is a number to call, can be reassuring.  It could also lead to a better 'first AR' experience.    There is a risk that a first-timer could get overwhelmed with the number of options, and frustrated trying to navigate them without any experience to fall back on.   Spending the money, and more importantly the time on something that results in frustration could sour them from the hobby altogether.  And honestly the difference  between a stock and a pimped out AR would probably be lost on a first-time AR shooter.

For someone new the reason to buy goes beyond cost as well. Starting with something you know will work, and if it doesn't there is a number to call, can be reassuring. It could also lead to a better 'first AR' experience. There is a risk that a first-timer could get overwhelmed with the number of options, and frustrated trying to navigate them without any experience to fall back on. Spending the money, and more importantly the time on something that results in frustration could sour them from the hobby altogether. And honestly the difference between a stock and a pimped out AR would probably be lost on a first-time AR shooter.

Building an ar15 is absurdly simple.... When I first got into guns I remember a guy at a gun shop telling me about building one.. And how he just got a lower... All kinds of thoughts raced through my mind... The biggest being what if he did it wrong and the gun blew up... But as time went forward and I understood the platform more i learned that doing it wrong was pretty difficult... Building an ar15 is incredibly simple... So fear of the actual work... "Getting it right" should not be much of a concern.. Just take your time... Read.. Ask questions...

Building an ar15 is absurdly simple.... When I first got into guns I remember a guy at a gun shop telling me about building one.. And how he just got a lower... All kinds of thoughts raced through my mind... The biggest being what if he did it wrong and the gun blew up... But as time went forward and I understood the platform more i learned that doing it wrong was pretty difficult... Building an ar15 is incredibly simple... So fear of the actual work... "Getting it right" should not be much of a concern.. Just take your time... Read.. Ask questions...

I don't disagree at all.. I'd like to build once some funds free up.  I just meant that buying an AR 'off the rack' might allow someone who is unsure to invest their time in the shooting aspect of the hobby quicker, without the upfront 'build' time commitment.  They can hit the range, take come classes, and get excited..etc.  

That's also where I think these "build and AR" classes are a great idea as it allows people to do a build but have face to face help when they have questions.