Sign in to follow this  
nitrospaz9

Guns in the news

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/largest-seizure-illegal-guns-announced-article-1.1430629

A SKS semi-automatic Soviet-era rifle that will ‘go through a project door, through the next door, through a wall, through the next wall into the next apartment,’ a source says.

I have noticed lately that these press confrences always reference SKS's. I think they got a h!rd on for them now, moving along to another rifle to call evil, Since AR's is beaten to death

I clearly see 1 sks w/ the bannana mag, the other taticool one I am not sure of. It has a left handed bolt and looks to take pistol mags. The article says

The seizure also includes two SKS, a semi-automatic Soviet-era rifle. One had a laser-dot sight attached and a suppressor on the front that eliminates flash and smoke to make it harder to tell where the gunman is firing from.

I think they are confusing the AK with SKS

The gun in question I was asking about is the silver one on the right of the revolver to the left of the picture... That sounded confusing

Yea, sorry not following. Which picture in the article?

I have noticed lately that these press confrences always reference SKS's. I think they got a h!rd on for them now, moving along to another rifle to call evil, Since AR's is beaten to death

I clearly see 1 sks w/ the bannana mag, the other taticool one I am not sure of. It has a left handed bolt and looks to take pistol mags. The article says

I think they are confusing the AK with SKS

I think the gunrunners are buying SKSs capable of taking AK mags and able to sell a gun with the mag capacity of an AK.

I don't think they're confusing an AK with a SKS. I think they don't know a flash surpressor has nothing to do with preventing detection by concealing the flash or hiding a smoke signature.

I think the gunrunners are buying SKSs capable of taking AK mags and able to sell a gun with the mag capacity of an AK.

I don't think they're confusing an AK with a SKS. I think they don't know a flash surpressor has nothing to do with preventing detection by concealing the flash or hiding a smoke signature

What I meant was they were calling the specific AK on the table a SKS since they said their was 2 one with flash hider and red dot

By the way, I'd give almost anything to keep that Luger out of the smelter :(

What do they do with confiscated guns? Obviously some are going to be totally illegal (full-auto, banned by name,etc...), others may have "bodies" on them and be needed as evidence. What about good, serviceable, totally legal guns? Don't they have a legal obligation to sell them, and raise revenue for the city/state? I thought I remember reading an article or two about that somewhere, at some time, as to how all the "antis" were pissed that basically , cops/PD's HAVE TO sell them (legally of course), by law. Something about having a financial obligation to get the best "return" for the taxpayers. Maybe that was only applicable to "buyback" programs? Are their at least legal provisions/requirements for historic/rare/collectible firearms? Maybe a historical gun society or something needs to take up the cause of preserving at least those guns?

I would hope that, at the very least, the ones which were stolen, would get back to their legal owners in SC....????

What do they do with confiscated guns? Obviously some are going to be totally illegal (full-auto, banned by name,etc...), others may have "bodies" on them and be needed as evidence. What about good, serviceable, totally legal guns? Don't they have a legal obligation to sell them, and raise revenue for the city/state? I thought I remember reading an article or two about that somewhere, at some time, as to how all the "antis" were pissed that basically , cops/PD's HAVE TO sell them (legally of course), by law. Something about having a financial obligation to get the best "return" for the taxpayers. Maybe that was only applicable to "buyback" programs? Are their at least legal provisions/requirements for historic/rare/collectible firearms? Maybe a historical gun society or something needs to take up the cause of preserving at least those guns?

I would hope that, at the very least, the ones which were stolen, would get back to their legal owners in SC....????

I don't know about these since they're evidence that was seized. Regarding buybacks, I swear I can remember reading that (in NJ at least) the firearms have their forensic ballistics checked/recorded for evidence purposes and are then destroyed. Many a forum member has lamented, "I cant believe they're going to destroy THAT piece of history" to include a beautiful condition WW1 machine gun IIRC

NYPD destroys all the guns they seize, bought, or otherwise when there is no longer any use for them. Last I knew they took them out in deep water, someone read off the serial number, somebody else checked it off the list, and it went in several hundred feet of water.

There is only one gun that I know of saved from that fate. It was a rare SAA Colt that had been seized worth a lot (like $100k or something like that). The NYPD firearms guys recognized this and the brass told them to destroy it anyway. Someone made a phone call to some gun organization. US Marshals showed up with a seizure warrant issued by a judge due to its historic signifigance and saved the gun. Even if its sitting in storage at the Smithsonian that's a much better place for it.

Most LE agencies destroy guns they or any other agency have no use for. I know of one Fed LE agency that used to sell their guns to FFLs. One of their guns was used by someone to commit suicide. Someone figured out where the gun came from and the press published "man uses gun from Fed agency to commit suicide". Agencies don't want bad press.