boo

M&P problems?

I keep hearing references to its lousy trigger and how an upgrade is necessary. What exactly is the issue with the trigger? The reason I ask is that I recently tried out an M&P 9mm range gun and absolutely hated it! But I'm not sure if it's because I'm a newbie shooter, the gun was damaged or in poor condition, or if it's representative of actual M&P owner experiences. 

My issues:

1. Using an uplula magloader, the magazine was somewhat difficult to load and push down on the follower. It would have been damn near impossible to load manually. And for some reason, the magazine only held 9 rounds.

2. Trigger pull weight seemed to be a bit on the heavy side (an XD9 and Glock 19 are my points of reference). Not necessarily an "issue", I guess more of an observation.

3. The trigger seemed to be really rough to pull and wasn't smooth.

4. I forget the exact term, but I think it's trigger break? I'm referring to the point where a trigger will because slightly harder to pull just before it activates the striker/hammer. I would pull the trigger on the gun, the trigger would just stop at that point. It would no longer move and the gun wouldn't fire unless I put an incredible amount of force. I sometimes found myself having to use fingers from both of my hands to create enough force to get the trigger to fire. Sometimes the gun wouldn't fire at all, and I'd have to release the trigger entirely and try again before I'd be successful in getting it to fire.

Any thoughts? This was a top contender for my first handgun, but it's now off my list.

The trigger can be gritty on a brand new gun, but they tend to smooth out......  

All of mine have a nice reset, but I never worry about it either way........

Everything else, I have never heard of an M&P.....  I think you were using a very bad example. 

Also feel free to come by RTSP and use mine...... but all of mine have APEX internals, which make a very good pistol, a great one....

I agree with the above comments.  Using a beat up rental/range gun that has not been cleaned or maintained properly, is not representative of what you would have if you bought one of these pistols new (or used, but very well maintained).

The stock trigger is a bit gritty and the reset is not the best... but the trigger is still usable.  When I got my M&P 9, I switched my internals out with the full Apex DCAEK kit and the trigger has been FANTASTIC.  Actually it got better over time as it got broken-in and smoothed out the parts even more.  I can do 2" groups from 15 yrd with my M&P 9 and am as accurate with it, as I am with my 1911.

On the issue you described witht he mags.  If they were the 10 rounders... they do have very stiff springs and it's really hard to get 10 rounds into them.  That problem is easily fixed by dremeling off a tiny bit off the base of the follower.  Once you do that, you'll be able to EASILY put 10 rounds into them.  The followers are just a tad bit long and make getting 10 rounds into the mag very hard.  I had this issue with my 10 rounders as well and fixed it this way.  Now they're perfect.  I also invested in some 15 round mags and they work awesome as well.

Don't let a crappy range/rental gun turn you against what is a great pistol.  I paid $440 for my M&P 9 brand new (which was a great price)... and it has become one of my most favorite pistols to shoot.  Oh and the ergonomics on the pistol are EXCELLENT, which is also a big plus.

Thanks all. I was really looking forward to trying it out and even bought my own small-size backstrap to test out. It fells really nice in the hand, but I shot really lousy with it. It's probably from dealing with all the issues and I won't discount it completely. I was kind of hoping it would turn out to be a crap gun just to help narrow down my "to buy" list :)

I have an MP40c and for me the problem of the trigger is with the pre travel and post travel. I shoot mostly glocks and are used to their trigger. With the stock trigger on the MP I was very inconsistent and thought about selling it.

I bought and installed an Apex FSS trigger and now the gun is a joy to shoot. Very little pre travel and no post travel at all. Just a Very consistent crisp trigger.

I like the trigger on my M&P shield. It has a nice feel. it travels to a point then gives the slightest resistance. One more hair and boom. The reset feel is very positive so if you wanted to rapid fire you know exactly when the trigger is reset. My Kimber on the other hand is very smooth from point to point. No warning or added pressure needed. It kind of sneaks up on you till you get used to it.

Agree with everybody that the gun you had was F'd. The problems you describe could be a binding/clashing striker block spring (would also increase pull weight), a trigger safety that wasn't disengaging, a stuck sear or probably many other things. I'm sure you could find a dozen guys on this board to let you try a working gun.

OTOH if you've moved on to another model...that's ok too ;)

For the rest of the folks: newer manufacture M&P's have some minor changes in the trigger assemblies that they now have a more positive reset, more like the Shield. I.e. I have the APEX RAM in my full-size but the Shield didn't need it.

Went back to an XD-9 last night and it was like being reunited with an old friend :) I'll try and test out a better working M&P again at some point. The one issue it raised to me is the risk of buying used guns. I plan to go on an absolute buying spree as soon as my FID/permits go through, and had planned on going the used gun route to save a few bucks. But I'm now questioning whether that's the wisest idea.