7-3-2

Bought my first lower ... whats next?

So I picked up my first stripped lower and its a MagTactical. Im guessing that the next step is a LPK does anyone have and recommendations? Are there any specific instruments outside of a punch set that I will want to obtain in order to make the installation process go faster?

MagTacts  are a very light magnesium alloy lower. I would presume you are looking for an ultralight build?  Hold on to those trigger pins, you'll need to use them instead of the pins in the LPK.  Protect the finish, it is Duracoated not anodized.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/59143-build-at-last/

Pretty much every thing you need to know in that thread.

The OP of that thread can be rather wordy at times. Plus he never even finished the thread. No pics. Nuthin!

Oh wait!......

I try to update that later today : P

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/#boltCatch

They have a guide for everything.

Here's a tip for the bolt catch. I recommended using masking tape with electrical or painter's tape over the top when doing the bolt catch. Masking tape protects finish from getting residual glue from electrical tape. The electrical tape will help prevent you from scratching the receiver. I scratched mine and used Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to correct the scratches, I don't know how the color with match up to Cerakote, so take your time and be careful.

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/#boltCatch

They have a guide for everything.

Here's a tip for the bolt catch. I recommended using masking tape with electrical or painter's tape over the top when doing the bolt catch. Masking tape protects finish from getting residual glue from electrical tape. The electrical tape will help prevent you from scratching the receiver. I scratched mine and used Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to correct the scratches, I don't know how the color with match up to Cerakote, so take your time and be careful.

I just used a plastic mallet on mine and was really careful. Never had so much as a scratch on any of mine. But extra caution is never a bad thing.

Since you're still in need of a LPK before you are ready to embark on the build portion for your lower, I'll save my "build" experiences for another time.

Therefore I'll just use this opportunity to refocus this thread back to your request for LPK info.

As per T Bill's post (and as I subsequently read on various websites that sell this lower), you may run into pin size issues if you use standard LPK's. Apparently MagTactical LPK's come with longer (than standard) pins for the trigger and hammer. Therefore you might be best off just purchasing the MagTactical LPK and save yourself from the trouble of encountering "fit" issues during your very first build.

Obviously this bit of advice comes from someone with the experience of having ONE build under his belt, but just as long as this bit of advice leads to some experienced and knowledgeable dialog about the best LPK for you, I'll now leave it to the better equipped here to mop-up my mess (if necessary). 

The OP of that thread can be rather wordy at times. Plus he never even finished the thread. No pics. Nuthin!

Oh wait!......

I try to update that later today : P

At least you can make a joke about it.. Can't wait for the pictures I have been following that for a while.

As for the OP watch a youtube video or two for a step by step process if you haven't pieced one together before.

Since you're still in need of a LPK before you are ready to embark on the build portion for your lower, I'll save my "build" experiences for another time.

Therefore I'll just use this opportunity to refocus this thread back to your request for LPK info.

I mentioned it because he asked what was next. Aside from needing the proper parts (lower parts kit) there are some tools that will make installation much easier. It's better to have everything ahead of time, rather than having to run to the hardware store or order something online. I will edit this post to include a list of necessary and recommended tools when I get a chance. For starters:

Bolt Catch Pin Punch: http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1368

I haven't started my build yet but I found this informative.

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/diy-ar-15-build-introduction-parts-and-tools-required/

As per tools for the lower, I'll risk the mockery of the purists here and show what I used:

setup2.jpg

Aside from a hammer (not pictured), that is everything that I used to build the lower that you see there - and zero scratches(!).

(and btw, the hammer was a regular old framing hammer)

And I do actually already own a nice set of punches that are hiding somewhere in my garage, but I ran out of patience searching for them, so I just made do without them.

As for the buffer tube, I did spring for the armorer's tool, since I couldn't come up with a suitable workaround for dealing with the castle nut. 

Therefore when it comes to tools.... if you are comfortable with building things, and if you are resourceful (and careful) you can save yourself some money on the tools, and just buy yourself some ammo or something with that money instead.

SWeet thanks for all the info guys, I wish I was aware about the pin size "issue" before the purchase as well as the poor finish but oh well Im still happy with the purchase and it is ridiculously lightweight. I would love to try and build a very lightweight rifle in the long run, there isn't any silly restrictions of the weight of the actual rifle in nj is there? (as much as I doubt it, I wouldn't put anything past our state gov.)