deerpark

Ever need to return or exchange a firearm?

If the serial number is different then I would say another P2P is required since they don't match.  I thought I read on here once that the NJSP told them to cross out the S/N and write the new one but I don't remember the details of that incident.

Shouldn't you inspect/check it for damages BEFORE you take it home from the FFL?  This way, you dont potentially have to waste a P2P...  (you being a general term, not the OP specifically)

This.  As a retailer, I cannot replace a firearm that has been transferred without the buyer having to do another transfer.  A manufacturer, however, can replace a firearm, even with one with a different serial number, without another transfer as they can notify the BATFE that the original serial number was destroyed and replaced with the new serial number.  Now, that's speaking from a federal standpoint, NJ may have state-specific issues such as the pistol purchase permit to deal with.

If the weapon is returned to the original seller the following applies:

• Returned weapon for refund = you burnt a permit
  • Returned weapon for another weapon (different serial number) = you burnt a permit
  • Returned weapon for repair (under warranty) - Considered 'Out for Gun Smithing" and you can have you gun back upon repair and return to you.

Also - As a side note - if you do a return, usually the FFL will charge you a transfer fee + freight to ship the gun back unless it is a gun 

you bought from that FFL (Then he should eat the fees IMO)

This.  As a retailer, I cannot replace a firearm that has been transferred without the buyer having to do another transfer.  A manufacturer, however, can replace a firearm, even with one with a different serial number, without another transfer as they can notify the BATFE that the original serial number was destroyed and replaced with the new serial number.  Now, that's speaking from a federal standpoint, NJ may have state-specific issues such as the pistol purchase permit to deal with.

In New Jersey - The HG permit is used to register Serial Numbers. As such if the the mfg exchanges a gun with a different serial number - NJ residents

are required to initiate another HG permit for the new serial number. And YES you do have the OGPM rule on top of that!

Say you order a gun online, you pick it up from your FFL, get it home and notice that its damaged.

If the seller agrees to an exchange or refund, what happens to the PP that was used for the damaged gun?

Would another PP be required for the new exchange? 

:read:

What kind of damage are we talking about? Regardless you'll need the permit if the serial #'s are different but you really should have checked for damage before taking the gun. Now if it's not actually damage you can see but damage like a cracked part or frame I would personally contact the manufacture.

And if this was one of those "oh, i'll save a little money by buying it online and having it transferred in!" well that's why I don't do it. It was that cheap for a reason most of the time. If this was a situation of " you can't find it locally and everyone is saying they can't get it" well then you have my sympathy.

I'm curious as to what gun, where did it come from and the damage. (GOT PICS???)

I thought I read "somewhere" that a MANUFACTURER can, if a firearm is damaged beyond repair, destroy the old receiver/frame and assign/stamp its existing serial number to an identical replacement. If that is the case, then they would legally just be returning the same gun/serial number, which was sent out for repair/gunsmithing.

????????

I thought I read "somewhere" that a MANUFACTURER can, if a firearm is damaged beyond repair, destroy the old receiver/frame and assign/stamp its existing serial number to an identical replacement. If that is the case, then they would legally just be returning the same gun/serial number, which was sent out for repair/gunsmithing.

????????

In theory, yes. I have never heard of it being done though. It is much easier for the manufacturer to give you another gun from existing stock. They don't care about retarded NJ gun laws.

I had a revolver that I had to return to the manufacturer after I shot it and found the timing was off. They sent FedEx to my house, covered shipping both ways, fixed the problem and sent it back to my door.