Sign in to follow this  
71ragtopgoat

How long can you store Shotgun shells?

Ammo cans have rubber seals? They are not the old paper shells are they? I don't see any issue as long as they are/were kept dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Ammo cans have rubber seals? They are not the old paper shells are they? I don't see any issue as long as they are/were kept dry.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

They should. Military issue cans should be airtight. Ask me how I know.... Alright ill tell you I bought some cans and one of them had an open sharpie for who knows how long. Once I cracked the can it unleashed a noxious plume of sharpie sent that didn't want to go away.

As long as the ammo is dry it should be good for years upon years, think mosin surplus ammo

They should. Military issue cans should be airtight. Ask me how I know.... Alright ill tell you I bought some cans and one of them had an open sharpie for who knows how long. Once I cracked the can it unleashed a noxious plume of sharpie sent that didn't want to go away.

As long as the ammo is dry it should be good for years upon years, think mosin surplus ammo

Were ya able to walk away with a smile on your face?

I know they have seals but had to ask. Ya never know... :)

It was in my bedroom as I'm sitting on my floor sorting all my ammo:( I had to get the job done

Ehem.... I mean no feeling loopy? Forget it! ;)

Don't leave anything on the floor, especially a basement...since that's where all the moisture ends up.....low low way low.

Leave a piece of paper or cardboard on your basement floor & you'll see.

Especially during the summer.

Put them high on the shelf, way high (unless you have a hot hot room)

I shot up a whole bunch of older than me 410.  They where paper hulls and some of the shot with half the hull stuck on the wad.  They actually tuned themselvs into a sort of slug.  They where stored in a closet in a house with no AC. They all went bang though.

Ken

The ammo is new (this year) the cans are sealed.They are on a garage floor in a hidden area. I guess I could put something under them.

I got a deal on 100 rounds. But I have my Mossy 500 two years and have yet to fire it.So it may be a while.

I'm more of a pistol guy. And ammo horder.LOL

I have some that are 14++ years old that still go bang.

I say ++ because a friend of mine gave me his dads ammo in a huge ammo can after his father passed. His dad would go shooting and instead of leaving the left over shells in a box he would throw them into a large ammo can (he didn like partially filled boxes I guess). It's all factory ammo but some of it is so old the markings have worn off. Some are paper cartrages sealed with wax. It's all factory and it all shoots.

I only shoot this ammo when I'm shooting into a berm (which isn't often) I don't want to be shooting clays with an unknown and have buckshot or slugs flying through the air. That could be bad.

I haven't used my shotgun much since I stopped hunting.

But about 3 years ago I went out with my son to shoot some clays. Brought my 15-year-old ammo along, and bought a box as well just in case. The old stuff shot great. Sonny Boy was impressed :)