71ragtopgoat

There's a Bobcat on my block.

I was talking to the Guy next door last week. He told me he saw a Bobcat at 7 am right in the middle of the street.

This morning Thurs (9/12) I was out on my deck at 630 am when I let my dog out and sure enough I caught it out of the corner of my eye leaving my yard.

I waited a while just looking around waiting for any movement then I saw it clear as day walking briskly between my neighbors houses,

Watched it for a few seconds as clear as day.It was lighter in color then the pictures I have seen of them, But I have not one doubt it was one. I live right at the foot of the Ramapo mountains so bears and stuff like that are common. Coyotes too .But A bobcat!!

Wow . Do I have to worried about my 20 pound Boston terrier becobecomingeal ??

There has been a rapid decline of chipmonks and rabbits this year. But I just thought it was because of the hawks and foxes and coyotes.

It's pretty cool.

Yes you should walk your dog on a leash. Bobcats do not usually attack dogs but a Boston terrier is small enough to be a meal. Bobcats usually do not hunt during the day time so keep a close eye on your dog during the night time

Dogs are definitely are in the bobcat's food chain.  Keep your dog on a short leash as attacks on humans are very rare unless the bobcat is sick.

You should contact animal control, chances are they will have you call Fish and Game.   You shouldn't be seeing the bobcat at all.  They are very reclusive and should only be glimpsed off in the distance in the woods or far from houses.

I saw one here in Randolph a few years ago.  It was the strangest looking animal I had ever seen around here.  Got on the internet looking for pictures and that is how I identified what it was.  No one believed me that I had seen it.

Dogs are definitely are in the bobcat's food chain.  Keep your dog on a short leash as attacks on humans are very rare unless the bobcat is sick.

You should contact animal control, chances are they will have you call Fish and Game.   You shouldn't be seeing the bobcat at all.  They are very reclusive and should only be glimpsed off in the distance in the woods or far from houses.

Well I'm not in the woods. I'm in a suburb. 1/2 acre lots. But less then a mile away are the mountains. So its not unusual to see animals. 2 years ago a coyote was in a basement around the block trying to make a den. The police came and chased it out. Both sightings were in the 630-7 am time. Does that mean it was wrapping up and headed back to the mountain or it it bedded down. I do have 10 acers of forest behind me surrounded by houses.

Well I'm not in the woods. I'm in a suburb. 1/2 acre lots. But less then a mile away are the mountains. So its not unusual to see animals. 2 years ago a coyote was in a basement around the block trying to make a den. The police came and chased it out. Both sightings were in the 630-7 am time. Does that mean it was wrapping up and headed back to the mountain or it it bedded down. I do have 10 acers of forest behind me surrounded by houses.

Fish and Game loves to hear about Bobcat sightings.    They may not love where, but you should probably report it.  877-927-6337.    I think option 2 is the non-emergency choice.   It will bring you to an operator who will take your name and report.

If the bobcat becomes a problem they will attempt to relocate it.

Don't fool around Bro...If the Cat is sick (even maybe rabies) he will go after your dog possibly...Why take the chance - do not leave Dog outside unattended day or night...The fact that the Cat is near people means he is desperate, and may not only hunt at night.

Also you better have a plan in case it comes after you and Dog whan you are outside.

Bobcats have always been around in rural areas of NJ, I remember seeing one while deer hunting in Blairstown 20 years ago. There's more of them nowadays than there was back then, so I'm not surprised to hear more people are seeing them with more frequency.

seeing a cat at that time of morning is nothing to be concerned about. It was probably eating rodents around your neighborhood that are drawn to peoples homes. If I were you I would be happy to catch a glimpse of a cat that has been eating all the pests that have been living in your neighborhood. Remember you are living in their former territory that they are now trying to take back.