Clintoon Eastwood

Carry handle scope suggestions, anybody use one?

No I don't have the option to remove the carry handle.

Second, I can't see myself spending 1k for a trijicon.

Third, I might just go with the old school colt 4x20. But is there any other versions of that style scopes?

I am open to suggestions from you gentlemen that actually uses carry handle scopes. Or had experience with this.

Suggestions?

Spend $100 bucks a buy a stripped flat top upper receiver and swap everything over.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Upper-Receiver-Assembly-M4-Flat-Top-demo-p/flat%20top%20-upper%20-m4%20demo.

There are no viable mounting options for a fixed carry handle upper when compared to a flat top.

If you are married to your upper receiver, stay with irons.

Spend $100 bucks a buy a stripped flat top upper receiver and swap everything over.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Upper-Receiver-Assembly-M4-Flat-Top-demo-p/flat%20top%20-upper%20-m4%20demo.

There are no viable mounting options for a fixed carry handle upper when compared to a flat top.

Its a complete Ar, I always wanted an m16a2 since it was the first firearm I ever held back in the 80's. I believe it was an armalite or a colt. Either one, its gonna be mine soon. 

^ This.  Your chin will have to be on top of the stock to get a good sight picture.   I have an older Bushmaster A2 on which I tried a few different mounts.  Now, I shoot it irons only.  If it were my only AR, I'd switch to a flat top receiver.

^ This. Your chin will have to be on top of the stock to get a good sight picture. I have an older Bushmaster A2 on which I tried a few different mounts. Now, I shoot it irons only. If it were my only AR, I'd switch to a flat top receiver.

Didn't even think of that.

I don't want to touch this beauty, I will put up a pic when I get my hands on it. (I believe this will be my first firearm pic that I am sharing on a forum)

I'm already pissed off that we have to cut off the bayo lug, then get a muzzle brake, then get rid of the original mag it comes in. WTF.

Checko, I will finally be buying that muzzle brake that you texted me.

I'm all for shooting whatever configuration you want.  This is America, after all!

But comfortably and accurately shooting a scoped AR w. an A2 upper is like trying to harness unicorn farts in a hurricane. 

I don't agree at all.  I've had the set up in the past and am going with it on a retro and never had an issue.  it depends on the scope of course but the older colt models work like a charm and line up naturally with the shooters' eye imho

Its an 15A2 complete rifle, so I can't remove the carry handle, putting a different is not an option...... and what is your opinion based on?

I have an Ar already that is like the Barbie Ar and I can dress her up like everybody else. But my point for this Ar is to have it as close as to the original Ar that I held in the 80's. The purpose for it is FOR ME to bring something back and to have the toy I always wanted. Also to keep it as original and time period specific as possible.

I'm all for shooting whatever configuration you want.  This is America, after all!

But comfortably and accurately shooting a scoped AR w. an A2 upper is like trying to harness unicorn farts in a hurricane.

But my point for this Ar is to have it as close as to the original Ar that I held in the 80's. The purpose for it is FOR ME to bring something back and to have the toy I always wanted. Also to keep it as original and time period specific as possible.

Then isn't putting an optic on it at all counter to the familiar old school feeling you are seeking? Or did you have a scope mounted in the '80s when you were in?

Based on your above statements I say leave it with Irons and call it done.

Wow, I can't believe they are still making these. They were the first RDS used operationally and were used by members of the Army SF during Operation Ivory Coast in 1970.

If you want to have an authentic"ish" early AR and have a RDS get one of these.

678d3bc358a9f9b0655b8dc432ab7b1b_zps87cc

They are made for fixed carry handles:

http://www.armsonusa.com/armsonoegm16.html

Wow, I can't believe they are still making these. They were the first RDS used operationally and were used by members of the Army SF during Operation Ivory Coast in 1970.

If you want to have an authentic"ish" early AR and have a RDS get one of these.

678d3bc358a9f9b0655b8dc432ab7b1b_zps87cc

They are made for fixed carry handles:

http://www.armsonusa.com/armsonoegm16.html

Thanks high exposure. That's awesome

Its an 15A2 complete rifle, so I can't remove the carry handle, putting a different is not an option...... and what is your opinion based on?

I have an Ar already that is like the Barbie Ar and I can dress her up like everybody else. But my point for this Ar is to have it as close as to the original Ar that I held in the 80's. The purpose for it is FOR ME to bring something back and to have the toy I always wanted. Also to keep it as original and time period specific as possible.

If you look at my post above, my opinion is based on trying several different mount/scope combos on an A2 handle.  ;)

It is an occluded optical red dot. You can't see through the tube. You keep both eyes open and your brain superimposes the dot your dominant eye sees over the target that your non-dominant eye sees. It's black magic but it works, to a degree, and is the original RDS.

Very similar to the BAC that Trijicon teaches with the ACOGs or like looking through a RDS while forgetting to open the front lens cap.