Shawnmoore81

Mountain lion spotted in dc

They claim there aren't any in nj. My game warden buddy says differently. A whole crap load of people in my home town have seen one. Now one in dc?

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/10/03/moutain-lion-spotted-in-southeast-d-c/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They claim there aren't any in nj. My game warden buddy says differently. A whole crap load of people in my home town have seen one. Now one in dc?

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/10/03/moutain-lion-spotted-in-southeast-d-c/

Your "game warden" buddy is wrong.  A longtime family friend, Martin J. McHugh the DIRECTOR of the NJ DEP tells me that the wild population of north eastern mountain lion sub species are extinct! If you think you know better than the experts show the proof and I will gladly admit that I am wrong. all the ones that have been found dead in NJ have been escaped pets from PA

I've never see one. But they were chasing after one in my home town for a few weeks. It's a shame I don't think the cars had dash cams then because one of the sightings was by a cop on patrol.

Found an article

http://articles.philly.com/2006-06-01/news/25403210_1_big-cat-cougar-attacks-wild-animal

Right next to the Delaware. If it was a mountain lion I would bet anything the cat was an escaped pet from PA. There are very little or no permits required to own exotic animals in PA. I even know of a breeder in Bloomsburg that will sell cougar cubs and more to NJ residents. It is up to the buyer to know the laws in their home state.

My mom claimed she saw one in Logan township. But she's half blind so it was probably a deer or a rock. But that town connects to gibbstown by woods. Where my house is now there was a sighting. I get critters in my yard but no mountain lions. We have started to get bear in the area. The DOD is a massive piece of wilderness surrounded by woods and farms. People have claimed to see all kinds of crap back there. At one point the army had to go hunt down wild dogs.

Your "game warden" buddy is wrong.  A longtime family friend, Martin J. McHugh the DIRECTOR of the NJ DEP tells me that the wild population of north eastern mountain lion sub species are extinct! If you think you know better than the experts show the proof and I will gladly admit that I am wrong. all the ones that have been found dead in NJ have been escaped pets from PA

The State of NJ (or any other in the NorthEast) will not admit to any moutain lions If they do thet will need to set up conservation programs, population surveys, educational programs, public awareness programs, and any other nuber of budget draining nonsense. As always it comes down to money.

The State of NJ (or any other in the NorthEast) will not admit to any moutain lions If they do thet will need to set up conservation programs, population surveys, educational programs, public awareness programs, and any other nuber of budget draining nonsense. As always it comes down to money.

Any endangered species or sub species would be protected federally not at the state level.  

Any endangered species or sub species would be protected federally not at the state level.  

Correct, and it  was the U.S. Fish & Wildlife who declared the Eastern Cougar extinct not long ago. As for "awareness" programs set up by the State, those have only come into vogue since the anti-hunters have evolved where studies of carrying capacity and game numbers are what's needed to justify hunts today. They have to use science now. (I don't recall any awareness programs for black bear prior to when they cancelled black bear hunting in the late 60's here in NJ.) Those awareness programs have also evolved as man has encroached into wildlife's backyard.

Let's not forget where the cougar that ended up getting hit by a car in CT came from. That cat traveled all the way from South Dakota, and was spotted in multiple states on game cameras,eyewitness sightings, and confirmed by DNA analysis for two years across multiple states before becoming roadkill in CT. They tracked that lone cat from scat samples that allowed DNA tracing back to a family in SD. 

There are hundreds of hunters in NJ each year who hang trail cameras to pattern wildlife movements. Despite all the talk of eyewitness "sightings," none have ever been recorded on a trail camera and submitted to the State which would also trigger forensic research to search for and analyze scat droppings. None to my knowledge have ever materialized.

Some old reading.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/35579-mountain-lion-sighted-in-bergen-county/

Yeah the trail can thing is what throws me off. I'd think that would catch one before a person saw one.

I did see a dead one in pa before. It was road kill and we are talking 10 years ago maybe longer. It could have been a pet but I don't know.

If coyotes territory expanded and so did bears. Why not mountain lion. I personally never saw one but it's not like someone is claiming they saw a dinosaur. These animals live in this country in similar habitat. It's very possible.