Howard

Discussion with a PA gun guy

I wouldn't call PAs gun laws lenient. Without a CCW in PA the handgun laws are very similar to NJ, to and from the range no deviation. They have the same background checks as we do except its instant. I was in a gun shop in PA one time and saw a guy denied a pistol from an arrest from 25 years ago. Their system is efficient and painless. Think about our application for handguns here. You apply for your permits and pass that check. Go to buy a handgun and run a check again. Ogam to prevent what? If I end up flipping out and decide to go on a shooting spree I'm going to buy a new handgun and not use the ones I have? The whole problem with NJ is its moronic, everything about it.

you are right without a license to carry rules are similar to NJ except open carry is legal.. and the difference is in PA you can get a license to carry..

you can have any capacity mags you want...

there is no such thing as substantially identical.. flash hiders.... collapsible stocks.. etc.. all allowed..

no individual pistol permits.. no OGAM...

NFA items allowed 

PA is far more liniment than NJ in regards to gun laws.. but beyond that it is the general attitude towards guns... 

when I went to the sheriff to have him sign a form saying it was OK for me to build a 7in AR15... it took me more time to wait than it did for him to sign off on it... he didnt act like I was nuts.. he didnt question why I would want such a thing... he signed the form and sent me on my way with a hand shake and a "have a nice day"

I wouldn't call PAs gun laws lenient. Without a CCW in PA the handgun laws are very similar to NJ, to and from the range no deviation. They have the same background checks as we do except its instant. I was in a gun shop in PA one time and saw a guy denied a pistol from an arrest from 25 years ago. Their system is efficient and painless. Think about our application for handguns here. You apply for your permits and pass that check. Go to buy a handgun and run a check again. Ogam to prevent what? If I end up flipping out and decide to go on a shooting spree I'm going to buy a new handgun and not use the ones I have? The whole problem with NJ is its moronic, everything about it.

I don't like the handgun transport laws, either. We will probably get rid of that in the next few years.

But the background checks at gunshops are no better in ANY state. All of them use NICS. Only ours never gets backed up for weeks like yours, it's a few minutes 99% of the time although I have heard of any hour on rare occasions.

Overall, I think PA is tied with about 3 states for 2nd place in best gun laws in the country, maybe first place. There are a few states that don't require carry permits at all but VT doesn't allow silencers and most of the others have long lists of places that are off limits for carry. PA has one of the shortest lists for off limits for carry.

Yeah, PA gun laws overall are about as good as they come.

You should really be having a convo with a NJ guy who moved to Florida. Just sayin :)

I carry EVERYWHERE except a few very limited places. Gun in my center console always and no one gives a shit how many rounds my mag holds

Oh yeah, 200 bucks to be able to get suppressors, sbrs ornown full auto and gun registration is illegal :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

As much as I love shooting, I would never move from NJ to PA because of their lenient gun laws. I don't need to walk with a gun on my hip and don't have the need to walk in a gun shop and buy 4 pistols at a time or the need for large capacity magazines.  I have several friends who moved to PA from NJ and they are miserable. They are not gun owners but they moved because they thought things were better on the other side. Now they wish they could come back but sadly they admit they can not afford to live in NJ. 

Glad to hear that the Second Amendment on the Bill of Needs is working out well for you.

You should really be having a convo with a NJ guy who moved to Florida. Just sayin :)

I carry EVERYWHERE except a few very limited places. Gun in my center console always and no one gives a shit how many rounds my mag holds

Oh yeah, 200 bucks to be able to get suppressors, sbrs ornown full auto and gun registration is illegal :)

Well, you have to admit, PA gun laws are better than Florida gun laws in every way, and you have FAR more places off limits for carry as well. :)

I moved from NJ to PA...

I make as much or more money than I made in NJ...

cost of living is far less (in NJ I paid $825 for a small 1 bedroom apartment, in PA I pay $850 and have a very large 2 bedroom townhouse with a deck and a garage/basement)

People are never really in a rush and are generally nicer..

There are some "drug issues" as there are anywhere... but for the most part crime is nonexistent... there are people that still leave doors unlocked.. 

government makes more sense in most cases... I had to register my vehicle I purchased.. it took literally 5 minutes and I wasnt required to fill out any forms or anything crazy.. in and out in less than 5 minutes with a signature..

Obviously very pro gun... pro freedom in general.. 

there are maybe a couple things I miss about NJ... but they are few and far between and I could NEVER imagine moving back...

I am certainly not miserable in any way...  

I'm glad this worked out for you, but the reality for most working people in NJ is that they would need to take a serious pay cut to make the move to PA. I know with my business I would be lucky to make 25% of what I make in NJ, the demographic just isn't there in PA.

As much as I love shooting, I would never move from NJ to PA because of their lenient gun laws. I don't need to walk with a gun on my hip and don't have the need to walk in a gun shop and buy 4 pistols at a time or the need for large capacity magazines.  

You probably don't NEED to exercise your right to free speech very often either like most mild mannered, well educated individuals. Maybe you would consider moving to a place where the First Amendment is not really taken seriously either.   

The forum members that are always whining and crying how bad NJ is and how great PA is will for gun ownership will disagree with you and probably be ripping your comments apart real soon.  Although they will have a lot to back up how much more gun friendly PA is. 

If moving to PA works for people and their families they by all means do it and live long and prosper. To the people who can't move or are to afraid to move please spare us the constant complaining and bitching. Stir up some courage get a damn Uhaul and move already. 

People bitch and complain about NJ's laws and governments because NJ is their home and they care. It is my home, I grew up here and my famility is here. It is our state government which constantly infringes on our freedom, liberty, and Constitutional rights that is the problem. A problem that needs to be addressed, which is done by people of like mind getting together, and working together towards change... like folks on this forum. Sure some of that invovles "whining and crying" as you put it.

I can't stand the love it or leave it mentality, its the same as saying "if you are not with me, you are against me" crap.

Examples?

Carry permit requirements in FL:

Fingerprints - Not in PA

Provide Passport Photos - Not in PA

Training requirements - Not in PA

Notary - Not in PA

Certified Copies of Court Documents if Charged with Anything - Not in PA

$112 - $20 in PA

Places off limits in FL:

Any place of nuisance - Not in PA

Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station - Not in PA

Any courthouse; any courtroom - Yes in PA, but PA law requires all court facilities provide gun lockers to the People.

Any polling place - Not in PA. However, in PA uniformed or on-duty police are not allowed in polling places. Armed Citizens are fine

Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district - Not in PA

Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof - Not in PA

Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms - Not in PA

Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose - Not in PA

394.458 (a) Hospitals - Not in PA

311.12 Seaports - Not in PA

Open Carry - Illegal in Florida (for the most part) - Not in PA

STATE CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISION

Florida - “(a) The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law. (b) There shall be a mandatory period of three days, excluding weekends and legal holidays, between the purchase and delivery at retail of any handgun. For the purposes of this section, “purchase” means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration to the retailer, and “handgun” means a firearm capable of being carried and used by one hand, such as a pistol or revolver. Holders of a concealed weapon permit as prescribed in Florida law shall not be subject to the provisions of this paragraph. © . . . anyone violating the provisions of subsection (b) shall be guilty of a felony. (d) This restriction shall not apply to a trade in of another handgun.” Article 1, Section 8.

The legislature of the State of Florida, in a declaration of policy incorporated in its “Weapons and Firearms” statute, recognizes that adult citizens of the state retain their constitutional right to keep and bear firearms for hunting and sporting activities and for defense of self, family, home, and business and as collectibles.

Article 1, Section 8.

Pennsylvania - “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

After more than 40 years in NJ, my first gun experience outside the state happened this summer.  I carried in 9 states, bought ammo without an FID, almost bought a shotgun at a pawn shop, and nobody got hurt or killed. 

This is what gets me. Our politicians have eyes and ears. They go to Vt. and NH for vacation. They go to PA to shop, visit relatives, maybe attend a conference.

Unless their eyes and ears are closed they KNOW, when they travel anywhere but Maryland and Hawaii, that people around them are carrying guns. Yet somehow, they won't let it happen here because there'll be blood in the streets, a shootout at every fender-bender. 

From what I saw and read during the big legislative hubub last summer, they almost certainly know the deal but they're just being spiteful. 

As much as I love shooting, I would never move from NJ to PA because of their lenient gun laws. I don't need to walk with a gun on my hip and don't have the need to walk in a gun shop and buy 4 pistols at a time or the need for large capacity magazines.  I have several friends who moved to PA from NJ and they are miserable. They are not gun owners but they moved because they thought things were better on the other side. Now they wish they could come back but sadly they admit they can not afford to live in NJ. 

Unless someone lives alone, has no family, and is self-employed, moving to take advantage of lenient gun laws is probably not the wisest thing. In that regard my only "plus" is I work for myself and could do this job anywhere. But my wife's job is not portable, and we both have elderly parents. So we, like most people in this forum, are here for the duration.

That being said, there is almost no way that NJ is a better place to live than across the Delaware. NJ is next to last in all categories of liberty (someone takes this poll every year). Guns are just one tiny aspect of this. NJ's regulations are through the roof; we "enjoy" one of the worst climates for business. We are towards the very bottom of states in terms of recovery from 2008. Our unemployment is well above the national average.

NJ has much higher taxes than PA, and land is much more expensive. And if you like the outdoors, PA has it all over NJ.

NJ politics is perhaps the most corrupt in the union. Our state supreme court is a medieval joke. Just a few years ago they ruled so that Frank Louse- I mean Lautenberg could be handed a senate seat, even though his candidacy was in plain-language violation of the state constitution.

Comparables: Unemployment is about 10% less in PA. Crime is about the same, especially once you leave the larger cities. Other than that I can't see why anyone would prefer to live in NJ.

So you love to shoot, but...

You doth protest too much, methinks. 

I'm glad my son lives in PA!  Now if he would only go to get his permit to carry.  How easy is it to do and what has to be done?

He's in Wyomissing, Berks County.

Dave

Download the one-page form from the Sheriff's website and fill it out. Take it to the Sheriff's office (or a closer satellite office if hey have them) with a $20 bill or check. Bring proof of residency in Berks County, driver's license will do.

Download the one-page form from the Sheriff's website and fill it out. Take it to the Sheriff's office (or a closer satellite office if hey have them) with a $20 bill or check. Bring proof of residency in Berks County, driver's license will do.

A friend of mine moved to PA from NJ. He went down to his local PD and filled out the form for his CCW, and then left and went home. 10 minutes later he gets a confused call asking where he went. They said his paperwork was done and he should come back to pick up his concealed carry permit now.

A friend of mine moved to PA from NJ. He went down to his local PD and filled out the form for his CCW, and then left and went home. 10 minutes later he gets a confused call asking where he went. They said his paperwork was done and he should come back to pick up his concealed carry permit now.

LoL

You can't blame him.... Conditioned to wait...

Carry permit requirements in FL:

Fingerprints - Not in PA

Provide Passport Photos - Not in PA

Training requirements - Not in PA

Notary - Not in PA

Certified Copies of Court Documents if Charged with Anything - Not in PA

$112 - $20 in PA

Places off limits in FL:

Any place of nuisance - Not in PA

Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station - Not in PA

Any courthouse; any courtroom - Yes in PA, but PA law requires all court facilities provide gun lockers to the People.

Any polling place - Not in PA. However, in PA uniformed or on-duty police are not allowed in polling places. Armed Citizens are fine

Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district - Not in PA

Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof - Not in PA

Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms - Not in PA

Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose - Not in PA

394.458 (a) Hospitals - Not in PA

311.12 Seaports - Not in PA

Open Carry - Illegal in Florida (for the most part) - Not in PA

STATE CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISION

Florida - “(a) The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law. (b) There shall be a mandatory period of three days, excluding weekends and legal holidays, between the purchase and delivery at retail of any handgun. For the purposes of this section, “purchase” means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration to the retailer, and “handgun” means a firearm capable of being carried and used by one hand, such as a pistol or revolver. Holders of a concealed weapon permit as prescribed in Florida law shall not be subject to the provisions of this paragraph. © . . . anyone violating the provisions of subsection (b) shall be guilty of a felony. (d) This restriction shall not apply to a trade in of another handgun.” Article 1, Section 8.

The legislature of the State of Florida, in a declaration of policy incorporated in its “Weapons and Firearms” statute, recognizes that adult citizens of the state retain their constitutional right to keep and bear firearms for hunting and sporting activities and for defense of self, family, home, and business and as collectibles.

Article 1, Section 8.

Pennsylvania - “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Thanks for the post!!

I wasnt aware the many 'NO-NO's in Florida