Kingsoverqueens

What causes a squib?

Yes, each time.  Put case on the scale, hit tare, charge with powder, weigh, mark down result, repeat with a new case.

I'm sure this is where I screwed up.

What kind of scale? And what kind of lighting is in your immediate area? I know some scales can be sensitive to fluorescent lighting and other electronics in the immediate area.

What kind of scale? And what kind of lighting is in your immediate area? I know some scales can be sensitive to fluorescent lighting and other electronics in the immediate area.

That's a great point Joe. Another reason I only use a good 'ol fashioned weighted scale.

What did it sound/feel like when you had the squib?  was it a small pop or did you hear a bang?

Andrew was shooting while I recorded the results.  I noted that the chrono didn't respond and then when I looked down to him he was reacting to the lack of a discharge.  I recall him saying "something went wrong...that didn't feel right," or something to that effect.

Its simple, you skipped a case. Also, time for you to use a progressive press, the error rate for single stage loading is MUCH higher then progressive when you do volume reloading exactly for this reason. 

I use a dillon 650. 

Since I was trying a control group I loaded 30 primers into the machine and then attempted what would be essentially single stage loading so I could make measurements and record my results.  The remaining 170 that I pressed out in the regular fashion during that session all performed flawlessly, as have the other 4 or 5 thousand that I've run through the press so far.

1 squib out of 5 or 6 thousand, and due to a variation of the process...that's not too bad, I suppose.

No squibs would be better, but 1 given the circumstances is understandable.

And look at it this way, this has been a great sharing of information.   :thumbsup:

That is a very good question.

I'm using a small digital scale who's name escapes me, but safe to say it's nothing super special.  Lighting is a double florescent fixture.  Lighting is strong.  No issue there.

I'm using a small digital scale who's name escapes me, but safe to say it's nothing super special. Lighting is a double florescent fixture. Lighting is strong. No issue there.

What he means is that the fluorescent ballast is known for causing electrical interference among finely tuned electronics. It wasn't so much for the question of being able to see with enough light.

I'm using a small digital scale who's name escapes me, but safe to say it's nothing super special.  Lighting is a double florescent fixture.  Lighting is strong.  No issue there.

Hmm...

What he means is that the fluorescent ballast is known for causing electrical interference among finely tuned electronics. It wasn't so much for the question of being able to see with enough light.

Yes...this ^^

Yup, you dumped the powder to measure the weight and forgot to put it back in the brass. You only fired the primer.

Nope, this I am sure did not happen.

I primed 30 pieces of brass, and then weighed the brass, tared the result on the scale to zero and the charged the case with powder and then weighed it.  I hate dumping the powder into that little tray and then back into the brass, so I eliminated that step.

Kingsoverqueens, on 19 Nov 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

Nope, this I am sure did not happen.

I primed 30 pieces of brass, and then weighed the brass, tared the result on the scale to zero and the charged the case with powder and then weighed it.  I hate dumping the powder into that little tray and then back into the brass, so I eliminated that step.

I hate dumping it too, but for me I wont do it any other way.  I think you may have eliminated an important step based upon your description.