ogfarmer

oral surgery

a month ago I had a wisdom tooth with a bad cavity. One day it hurt so bad I was crying. Went to the dentist and he yanked it. I was soooooo scared about getting dry socket aftyerwards. I hear dry socket is one of the most painfull things you can get.

Man you just made it less likely for me now

a month ago I had a wisdom tooth with a bad cavity. One day it hurt so bad I was crying. Went to the dentist and he yanked it. I was soooooo scared about getting dry socket aftyerwards. I hear dry socket is one of the most painfull things you can get.

yeh dry socket happens if you smoke or dont take care of the wound properly, Since I don't smoke or drink anyhting I should be ok. He said i didnt have to worry about that

Another idea - when my wisdom teeth were removed, I was told the tannic acid in tea leaves was excellent for promoting the clot, and to place some moistened tea, in its handy filter container - over the location.  Note I will NOT say the name here, to avoid the commentary...

I've also got to think about it SOON, since I just broke a molar.....is it an epidemic????

I need 2 wisdom out (not urgent yet) but an option I have is to go under general anesthesia and get all 4 out..anybody go this route?

This is what I had done after concerns were raised about other anesthesia types due to asthma and the complexity and length of the surgery due to the way the teeth were coming in. It went fine, no issues.

But, I have never had a cavity though so I have nothing to compare it to...

I need 2 wisdom out (not urgent yet) but an option I have is to go under general anesthesia and get all 4 out..anybody go this route?

I had three of four wisdom teetpulled years ago with just novacane.  when the dentist looked at me, his comment was 'this can take 45 minutes or three hours, and we won't know until we get started.'   I was out of there in a little more than an hour.

I had all 4 done at once under general anesthesia. I wasn't out but was pretty drugged up. You will need someone to drive you home.

I think it was worth it because I only had to recover once and there was no question that all 4 had to go.

So anyone neglecting their teeth, Don't!

Go get them fixed before its to late. He told me this infection was something serious and I was running out of track.

Good advice.

I was diagnosed with gum disease about 8 years ago. "You need an operation," my dentist told me. 

When I asked him for an alternative, this very open-minded clinician told me to get a water pik and an electric tooth brush, and see him in 3 months. I did so, immediately, and have been using them ever since. At my next visit he said, "pretty good, no bleeding."

And, by the way, I've never had to go for gum surgery. 

Take care of your teeth. The inflammation caused by the germs in your mouth lead to all sorts of horrible health problems, including heart disease. It's never too late.

Yes.  In 1988, right around this time of year as I recall.  As per my Dad, I don't come out of anesthesia very well, and I will leave it at that.

I just had my four wisdom teeth out this summer (July.) I used Bergen Oral Surgery out of Ridgewood/Westwood. They were excellent. My kids have had theirs out there and the results have all been excellent. I had mine done under general anesthesia and it was fine. It was the most welcome of relief. I then had root canal on one other tooth after a month had passed. (One of those wisdom teeth had grown outward, cracking off a portion of the other molar, exposing the nerve.) The problem was, all of this had occurred right after I had just had open heart surgery the previous summer, so the cardiologist would not clear me for any oral surgery for the months after. Having to endure that exposed nerve for months was the worse. All the post-heart surgery medications I was on for those months only made my gums bleed more and the sensitivity in my teeth worse.