Sign in to follow this  
Melgamatic

Shootout in Fanwood!

Last night there was a shootout (!!!!) in little, quiet Fanwood.  Here's two stories:

http://www.thealternativepress.com/articles/fanwood-man-in-custody-after-allegedly-firing-wea

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2013/11/fanwood_man_holds_police_at_bay_for_seven_hours.html#incart_river_default

The article indicates that the man shot at police, police shot back, and after 7 hours of standoff they brought him in alive and unharmed.  

So, kudos to the Fanwood police who managed to bring a guy in alive and unharmed even after trading shots with him!  I'm not sure the Fanwood police fire their guns on duty more than every decade or two, let alone face a barricaded shooter.  I'm pretty sure they haven't fired since I've lived here almost 20 years.  Impressive that they kept the situation under control.

About 7 a.m., a loud explosion was heard throughout the neighborhood, residents said. The law enforcement source said Antonucci was taken into custody on the back deck of his house.

Flashbang?

What would the weapons charges be?  I can see illegal discharge.  I guess maybe brandishing when he pointed a gun at the cops?

Shooting at the cops I would think would ring up as attempted murder, not a "weapons" charge.

I am astonished that this happened in my sleepy little square mile :(. Just goes to show, this kind of thing always happens in "such a nice town, I can't believe it happened here!" types of places.

Major props to our officers for handling this as well as they did. Big thanks to the supporting departments who came in for backup.

I could be wrong but i always thought the second you start using guns in an unlawful manner they become illegal to possess. 

Flashbang?

What would the weapons charges be?  I can see illegal discharge.  I guess maybe brandishing when he pointed a gun at the cops?

Shooting at the cops I would think would ring up as attempted murder, not a "weapons" charge.

I drove by the scene on my way home from the sun tavern and was trying to figure out what was going on.

After Thanksgiving I have a good feeling we won't hear anything else about this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

If it was a large town they would have all suited up swat style, stormed the house and killed the guy. Then they would have high fived afterwards.

Interesting point - house is surrounded, everyone's out of harm's way, no way in or out...where's he gonna go?