Sign in to follow this  
Kingsoverqueens

Loading 147 GR for bowling pins

So I'm going to load some 9mm 147 Gr. jacketed ammo for a bowling pin shoot, and I'm wondering if I should load them to shoot soft or hot?

Is a dull thud with the heavier projectile going to create sufficient energy to knock them over and off the table, or do I need shock and awe type of velocity (within safety range of course)?

You need a .45 ACP

If this is a standard BP format, which is a 4' deep table with the pins set 12" from the front edge, that means you have to move them 36" rearward to knock them off the table. Even with a .45 a flatnose or hollowpoint works best - round nose bullets deflect more easily - bowling pins are hard.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You need a .45 ACP

If this is a standard BP format, which is a 4' deep table with the pins set 12" from the front edge, that means you have to move them 36" rearward to knock them off the table. Even with a .45 a flatnose or hollowpoint works best - round nose bullets deflect more easily - bowling pins are hard.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

That was going to be my answer Bob.  Guess you got to be a wise A$$ first.  I'm guessing that is the only pistol he has.

I would think a 147 @ 900fps should do the trick.

Hitting them square is important.

More important than the arrow is the Indian.

It's been a while since I shot Bowling Pins at Monmouth.  I used .38 Spl, .44 Spl. and .45 ACP.  I would load your 9mm to factory standard velocities, since the Bowling Pin game is about time as well as knocking them off the table.  Adjusting to a too-hot recoil will cause more misses, and misses are worse than not knocking them off the table!  I watched quite a few factory-spec .38 Spls. with 158 grain lead slugs knock pins off a table at (+ or -)  850 fps.  The trick to the Pin Game is to get each one "square in yer sights" at the point of ignition, since there isn't any huge "A-Zone" like in USPSA.

My best times were with my .44 Magnum loaded with 240 grain Spls., as the big slug had the power to knock 'em clean off the table, and yet the recoil was so light that it was easy to transition to the next pins and get them rather quickly :yahoo:  which would cuase me to do my happy dance, lol!

What ever else you choose to do load-wise, just be careful of rounds coming back, as FROZEN bowling pins have a tendency to not like to absorb lead, and this time of year you get more bounce-backs :codemafia:  than in the warmer weather since the outer shell of the pins gets extremely hard in the cold, and tends to soften-up and absorb the rounds better in the summer.

Dave

I would load your 9mm to factory standard velocities, since the Bowling Pin game is about time as well as knocking them off the table.

Copy that.

It's out first attempt at this game and we'll see if we like it.  I suspect we will and so that may be the reason to go up to big boy caliber.  In the meantime it will be fun to cook up a new load specific for this game.  I'm looking forward to that part of the experiment.

As Bob mentioned, the .45 RULES the Pin Game, and most guys load theirs down from standard factory velocities to help with the recoil and aid in transition times.  230 grain ball is most commonly used, but I've seen great results with 210 gr. Flat Point Lead (in guns with reliability jobs where the polished feed ramp can handle the flat point heads).  Some prefer the slightly heavier 225 grain FP heads.  Bob's right about the FP's, they do a job on Pins!

Once you try this, you'll be HOOKED!

Load whatever you can that will give you the highest energy at the intended target range.  Sometimes a slightly lighter bullet travelling faster will have a slight edge in FtLbs.  Its energy transfer that gets the pins off the table.

Ken

Our home range, Saturday AM.

It's on the Calender. 

CJRPC members only, or is it open to the public?  I've not shot pins in years, but it's a hoot.  Would love to find local matches starting up again.

As Bob mentioned, the .45 RULES the Pin Game, and most guys load theirs down from standard factory velocities to help with the recoil and aid in transition times.  230 grain ball is most commonly used, but I've seen great results with 210 gr. Flat Point Lead (in guns with reliability jobs where the polished feed ramp can handle the flat point heads).  Some prefer the slightly heavier 225 grain FP heads.  Bob's right about the FP's, they do a job on Pins!

Once you try this, you'll be HOOKED!

Not sure about .45 but with 9mm FP you need to come down on the OAL to make them feed in certain guns. Might be something to look at if your having feeding issues with them.

how many hits did they take on average ?

It's been so long I don't remember the exact number, but a good guess would be 15 shooters.  Depends upon temperature, caliber used, how many times pins get knocked down ONTO the table and you still have to knock them OFF the table, etc.

General rule of thumb is the more heavy-caliber hits they absorb, the less they move.  Eventually light caliber hits (down-loaded 9mm, .38 Spls.) won't knock them OFF the table since they get heavier with each run.  Some clubs use un-shot pins for .22 LR first (and set the pins at the far end of the table, so they fall off when hit squarely with a .22).  

It's a REAL BLAST!    And LOTS of fun for sure!

I wasn't paying attention to that but in reflection would say that once we got going we were replacing one pin for each shooter as the day progressed.   Once they get dinged up they won't roll as well off the table but the real issue is getting them to stand up.  Once they won't stand or are really blown out they get replaced.

Most of the more "seasoned" shooters were able to knock them off in one shot.  Bowling pins are tough critters. 

Side note...hollow points are devistating to them, so much so that I suggested to the MD to discourage their usage going forward.  They really obliterate the pin.

Really fun.

You need to aim at the meat of the pin. A well placed shot will knock down and hopefully off the table. In my experience, 45acp SWC or LSWC is king. Have had good success with it. I have some 40 LSWC but I haven't shot pins with it. 9major ammo just goes right through pin. As far has hollow points goes, no worse than anything else. Looking forward to possibly hitting a few matches next year.

The hollow points don't actually open-up...they get "plugged" with plastic and wood and go INTO or THRU the pin instead of glancing-off into the berms.  HP that hits wall board mostly does the same...it "locks-in" fills the cavity and drives through like BALL ammo.

All the more reason to use HP for defense ammo!

The hollow points don't actually open-up...they get "plugged" with plastic and wood and go INTO or THRU the pin instead of glancing-off into the berms.  HP that hits wall board mostly does the same...it "locks-in" fills the cavity and drives through like BALL ammo.

You could use something like Critical Duty but for my $1.00 I'd rather shoot the pin five times with a SWC than once with defense ammo.