ClangClang

Place to get cheep steel rims?

Anyone have a recommendation for a place to get some cheep (or used) steel wheels?  I've got a set of snow tires to mount for my 2012 Mazda 3 and don't want to mount them on the nice alloys that came with the car.  North Jersey preferred but can theoretically travel, especially if it will take me near a range I've never visited.

I've called about 7 junkyards in the Newark area, none of them have anything.  One guy said he could order steelies for me at $175 PER WHEEL so I obviously declined.  Another guy said he just sold a set of stock wheels for my car last week at $500 for the set, but those are alloys and include the TPMS, so that's not totally crazy.

After some fairly extensive googling and price checking about 10 different shops, best I could find was $58/wheel plus $45 shipping so about $280 total.  Then I'll have to drop another $80-$100 getting them mounted and balanced.

I was lucky enough that the tire size from my last car to my new car is identical, so I've got a set of snow tires ready to use, I just didn't think it would be this expensive to find a pair of dang wheels.

I wouldn't be able to stand looking at my car with steelies on.  I've always ordered a second set of rims for my car for the winter tires.  For my Millenia, I had a set of the L model standard rims for my winters, and the rims that came with the car got the summers.  For the Mercedes, I bought 2 sets of rims for winter and summer.  And I still have the original MB rims as well...(so...13 rims for one car, including the spare...maybe I need to do a garage sale..?)

Even brand new, I never spent huge sums of money on the rims, so if I had to find replacements, it's not the end of the world.  So far, they have held up, even when I was forced off the road and into/onto the curb on two separate occasions.

I know the Millenia had a strange offset, so finding other than OEM rims was a little more of a pain, but I'd check to see if other Mazda rims would fit.  Usually base model's rims are sold off pretty cheap as people upgrade to bigger/better rims. 

I've ordered my replacement rims and tires for the Benz off tirerack.com - they may even have the steelies there for your car, I've never looked for them so I'm not sure.  I like that tirerack tells you the method of manufacture for most of the rims they sell, since the cheapest methods are typically more prone to damage.

Wow, $175 for steel rims?

I've used two junk yards in South Jersey and prices were cheap.  Got an automatic transmission for $250 that worked for several years, a replacement rim (factory stock, not just steel) for $50, a power steering gear for $30, and a few other things over the past few years.   I don't know what they would have but I'd drive 3 hours to save $400.  

Anyone have a recommendation for a place to get some cheep (or used) steel wheels?  I've got a set of snow tires to mount for my 2012 Mazda 3 and don't want to mount them on the nice alloys that came with the car.  North Jersey preferred but can theoretically travel, especially if it will take me near a range I've never visited.

www.tirerack.com has numerous 16" aluminum rims to choose from, between 90-120ea. 15" are even a little less.

I've called about 7 junkyards in the Newark area, none of them have anything.  One guy said he could order steelies for me at $175 PER WHEEL so I obviously declined.  Another guy said he just sold a set of stock wheels for my car last week at $500 for the set, but those are alloys and include the TPMS, so that's not totally crazy.

Have you tried the used tire place on Rt21&South St. in Newark?

There's a couple of similar places in that general area. They have plenty of hubcaps. Don't know about tires.

After some fairly extensive googling and price checking about 10 different shops, best I could find was $58/wheel plus $45 shipping so about $280 total.  Then I'll have to drop another $80-$100 getting them mounted and balanced.

I was lucky enough that the tire size from my last car to my new car is identical, so I've got a set of snow tires ready to use, I just didn't think it would be this expensive to find a pair of dang wheels.

I'll mount them for you for a box of ammo.  I'll even show you how to do it.  I don't have a wheel balancer, but that shouldn't cost you too much at a local small business shop, especially if they're in your trunk instead of on your car. 

Ave. P in Newark still has about 6 yards left. Then on Stockton street around the corner is a pretty big yard. Bruce's,all American and leesville are three big ones in Rahway. Cosmos in south jersey ask for Micheal if he doesn't have them he can find them and ship to you fairly cheap.

Yup, still some left on Av. P. There's fairly large one nearby on Wilson Av called Lacey.

I think there's one on Avenue C, too.

I did Security Vulnerability Analysis for the company under the Wilson bridge. They found a decapitated woman under that bridge.

I also worked at a property further north on Avenue P that extended under the Turnpike. It was an unoccupied, demolished property with no buildings that was completely fenced in. We had a problem. Every few months we would find a body there.