NYMetsFan86

Scope height and 45 degree red dot questions: Is this weird?

So I wanted to set up my .AR with a vortex crossfire II 4x-16x-44 sccrope I had in the safe. Then I started thinking about mounting a 45 degree micro dot on the rail in front of the scope. I figured it would serve its purpose at distance but could be fun to set up two different distances and transition between the two.....is that weird?

I guess the question is,

1. Is the scope too high off the rail?

2. Is that a bad spot for the micro dot? please state why

Pics below....

Yes the stock is pinned haha

post-6697-0-93646500-1386974208_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-95451300-1386974212_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-78398600-1386974217_thumb.jpg

ahhhh yes valid question. I did have it mounted directly and it did fit fine, however i have not received the red dot yet and questioned it being to wide. But if it is small enough that would solve my problem right there. the riser could come off and that would leave the red dot on the right side just at the end of the rail at 45 degrees, sitting in front of the scope mount. I did some switching back and forth just holding it up.

second answer would be i have no intention of monting the RDS on top of the ring. if you look closely in picture two you will see the 45 degree mount at the front of the top rail...is that what you were reffering to?

possibly to practice transition between the two optics.....first intended use is for distance, but if given the opportunity it could be fun for moving and shooting. stopping for long rang shot, then moving again while engaging closer targets

...I want it to be multi-functional, to me its more about having the option to engage at close range

I had something similar, the scope mounted on the burris pepr mount, with a green-dot mounted on an angled daniel defense 1-oclock rail. I ended up liking the dot mounted on one of the scope rings better.

The scope has an adjustable objective, so its sharp from 10 yards out to 200+

looks like a well organized work station.

Thanks dad I'll get on that this morning as soon as the hangover subsides lolol

...seriously your right. I have sloppy workstation issues. no room to put tools, small dwelling as it is ha. Right now i have 3 tool boxes stacked on top of each other in the corner with my tools, sometimes the tools do not make there way back in the box immediately

I love my setup -- works great for me on my M&P15 sport. Have it mounted directly to my JP handguard.

0e1f103d-cdcd-43c7-936f-c6f3166b0081.jpg

Very nice. I like the way thats mounted