gleninjersey

Good Entry Level "Off The Shelf" Buy

Pivot pin sucks! First try?

Pretty much.  Watched two different videos and learned the "allen wrench" trick.

Question....the ALG Defense trigger is already all assembled right?  I'm watching some videos and they are talking about installing a spring with a flared end....I don't see that spring any where!!?

Looks like I need to take off the disconnector from the trigger to install it?

Edit - Yep...now it looke right .  I was like "why isn't this thing slipping in!!"....It was becaue the trigger comes fully assembled and the pin trigger is too wide to slip into the body of the lower.....duh!

No its not all together. Installs like a milspec trigger. Are you talking about the disconnector?

I have NO idea what I'm talking about...LOL.  I'm certain mine can assembled.  I had to take out the "Pin, Trigger" and "Pin, Hammer".  Then slide the trigger in, set the disconnector on top of it, apply a little downward pressure to hold in place & line up the holes with the lower and tap the "Pin, Trigger" in to hold it place.

I think the spring was attached to the hammer the wrong way when I received it....of course I'm blonde and could have been just looking at it the wrong way.  After watching Sootch's video on how to put together a lower at around the 6:20 - 7 minute mark really helped:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nef57ftZbYA

I finally got it.  Honestly this was part of the installation took me much longer than the the Pivot Pin installation.  PUshing down on the hammer to align it with the holdes on the lower and keeping the pressure on while sliding the "Pin, Hammer" through wasn't easy!  It's in though and functions.

On to the Safety Selector and Pistol Grip installation!

Ya done yet.  Not that hard.  Just kidding.  Remember to check trigger function, safety after installation. DON'T LET THE TRIGGER SMACK THE MAG WELL. Keep a finger on it. 

Do you have the extension tube and plate to hold in the detent and spring for the rear take down pin?

Ya done yet.  Not that hard.  Just kidding.  Remember to check trigger function, safety after installation. DON'T LET THE TRIGGER SMACK THE MAG WELL. Keep a finger on it. 

Do you have the extension tube and plate to hold in the detent and spring for the rear take down pin?

You can't rush perfection....lol.

Trigger and safety both appear to be functioning correctly.  Trigger handle is VERY loose and wobbley though?

Yeah, think I have the plate.  Same thing as a "buffer retainer"?  Friend gave me his old stock that has a buffer tube and some dooh hicke attached to it.  So I think so.  Let you know in a few.

Think the only thing I'm missing is a buffer spring.

So lower is done and I just need to attach a stock that a friend gave me.  I think I'm missing the plater or "buffer retainer".  Here's a pic of that was attached to the buffer tube (in addition to the castle nut).  I'm thinking it's a sling mount?  What is it?  It's doesn't look a buffer retainer like they show around 12:30 of the Sootch00 video above that I linked.

[/url]">http://whatisthis_zps38fa4e0d.jpg

So I think I'm done for the night.  Lower is all done except for attaching the stock.  The pistol handle is VERY loose/woobley though.

Buffer retainer and buffer retainer spring are held in place by the extension tube.  The rear takedown pin detent and spring are held in place by the stock retainer.

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/D10689.jpg  Note how extension tube hold retainer in place, and how plate hold detent and spring in place.

Yes, it appears the stock retainer you have is for a sling with a push button sling swivel. Should work OK.

That is the end plate which is held on by the castle nut. That particular one has a hole for qd sling attachments. That's a good thing.

You should have the buffer retainer spring, buffer retainer(detent) rear takedown spring and detent, the endplate and castle nut.

Oh cool.  It looked so different from what was being shown in the videos I thought I was missing a piece.  I'll try to finish it up during the week and hopefully get out to EFGA this weekend.

Being my first lower build it took me a little longer than I thought.  But I was switching back and forth between the ITS video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5SNwSaMOfY

And Sootch00's video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nef57ftZbYA

And a few other videos that I googled when I ran into problems installing the trigger group. 

I think I liked Sootch00's video a little more but watching both helped.

I also didn't want to make any mistakes or lose any pieces so I was being extra careful and taking my time.

All in all though, if I can do it ANYONE can!

The only tools I've used so far were needle nose pliers, flat head screw driver, a regular hammer, blue painters tape to protect the lower from scratches, an allen wrench and a set of hole punches.  The only tools I didn't have were the punches which I purchased today for $9.

I'll probably need to buy a Castle Nut tool but those aren't very expensive.

Only thing bugging concerning me is how loose the pistol grip is.  I've tightened it as much as I can.  Maybe I'll just purchase another one later if I can't get it snug. 

I used the allen wrench trick on my front take down pin... never saw it.. thought I made it up.. lol 

but it actually makes that part VERY easy..

Since I have so many spare parts laying around, I use another pivot pin as a slave pin only I push it in from the opposite direction. It's just long enough to hold the detent in while exposing a little bit of it so you can line up the pivot pin being installed pretty easily.

No need for Loctite.  Just use a star washer.  Run screw in without the grip first.  Sometimes too much anodizing get on the threads.  Or change to hex head screw.

Ahhhhhhh.....MidwestPX included that the star washer in the lower parts kit I purchased from them.  Was wondering what it was for!

I also believe he also included an extra spring and detent in the kit as well (prob for pivot pin install).  Highly recommend it.  I purchased the combo kit with the ALG Defense Trigger:

http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=100&products_id=659

The parts also came in separate and colored bags....though I didn't see a listing of what was in what bag.  Thought could of been my part though.  May have lost the list when I was tearing open the package I received from them like I was an 8 year old at Christmas.  :)  Once you opened them up it was pretty easy determining what colored bag you were supposed to use when .....well, especially after watching 2 different lower build vids (multiple times)

I'll also try threading the screw on without the grip attached as you suggested.  Thank you for the suggestions.

Just a quick update. Have put about 500 rounds through without any problems what so ever. Bulk of the 500 was during my second trip to range this past Monday.

Very happy with the Wheaton Comp I put on it. Friend I was shooting with liked the comp as well and may use it on his next AR. We could feel/tell the difference between our two guns/comps. His had a little more felt recoil and pulled a little to the side. Can't recall which comp he has but will find out. For anyone doing a build/looking for a comp, look into Wheaton Arms.

At end of last shooting session I was hitting a 12x8 piece of paper at 100 yards with just iron sights in a fairly nice pattern. For only having shot ARs a handful of times before I'm pretty impressed with my build so far.

Just a quick update. Have put about 500 rounds through without any problems what so ever. Bulk of the 500 was during my second trip to range this past Monday.

Very happy with the Wheaton Comp I put on it. Friend I was shooting with liked the comp as well and may use it on his next AR. We could feel/tell the difference between our two guns/comps. His had a little more felt recoil and pulled a little to the side. Can't recall which comp he has but will find out. For anyone doing a build/looking for a comp, look into Wheaton Arms.

At end of last shooting session I was hitting a 12x8 piece of paper at 100 yards with just iron sights in a fairly nice pattern. For only having shot ARs a handful of times before I'm pretty impressed with my build so far.

I had the Battlecomp I and totally agree that the Wheaton was superior to the point that if I wasn't welded (thank you NJ) I'd switch in a heartbeat. the Wheaton was effortless at staying on target with no deflection at all. VERY nice. Good choice Glen