KyleKap19

Almost done w/ 1st AR build

Almost done. My first AR build (have an MP15 sport). Need to add Troy flip up irons and my Aimpoint Pro.

20140101_184119-1.jpg

PSA Stealth Stripped Lower

DPMS lower parts kit

Stag upper parts kit

Yankee Hill Stripped Upper

Stag 16" 1/9 chrome lined barrel 

Levang Comp

BCM charging handle with PSA BCG

Magpul MOE Stock

Mako grip

ROCK River TRO Free Float Handguard

Burnt Bronze Cerakote (done by Easton Firearms Refinishing)

Off topic and sorry if its been asked already...where did you meet Chris Kyle?

I used to work for Zippo and met him at SHOT SHOW 2013. Also met Demo Dick there too. But Kyle was as down to earth as you could get - still stings to think it's almost a year ago he was killed. Even more so the fact that there's so much BS going on with his wife and the person who is heading CRAFT.

Looks good. If you don't mind wha did the cerakote cost you?

Cost me $140 -- I provided completely stripped upper, lower and handguard -- there's more $$ involved with disassembling and reassembling

http://eastonfirearmsrefinishing.com/Refinishing/Pricing.php

Rest of the furniture is on.

Posted Image

Added:

Aimpoint Pro

Troy iron sights

Mako Mag well grip

KNS Trigger Pins

With a handguard that long you may do better with a vertical grip or handstop. Generally the magwell grip gives you poor weapon control.

I am looking at a vertical grip perhaps as i want to eventually add a light. Any recos?

I use the magpul vfg. I like its size and ergo. The BCM one looks good too.

For light, when I get around to it I will be getting the EAG P2X Fury. 500 lumens with clicky tailcap in a vtac light mount.

ETA. Don't be afraid to put the vfg out further on the hg's. I didnt like the feel at first but quickly changed after my dfirst carbine class. Having it out helps you control the rifle while driving the gun on a target and also helps pull the rifle into you shoulder with your support hand.

I use the magpul vfg. I like its size and ergo. The BCM one looks good too.

For light, when I get around to it I will be getting the EAG P2X Fury. 500 lumens with clicky tailcap in a vtac light mount.

ETA. Don't be afraid to put the vfg out further on the hg's. I didnt like the feel at first but quickly changed after my dfirst carbine class. Having it out helps you control the rifle while driving the gun on a target and also helps pull the rifle into you shoulder with your support hand.

Thoughts on running the mag grip plus a vfg? Good to have both options but sure some would say one or the other. I saw a decent deal on the Troy modular combat grip. Is that GTG you think?

Troy looks cool never used it. They make good stuff. I'd probably keep it stubby cause I don't really use it as a grip so much as a stop.

To be honest with you, the only time my hand touches the magwell is during a shoulder transition. If you have time to switch shoulders you have time to put your hand back. Will it hurt to have it there? Probably not as long as it doesn't interfere with reloading and reaching the bolt release button with your left hand. (I'm not a big fan of the B.A.D.)

Do some speed reloads with it on and see how it goes. If you get hung up on it at any point (inserting the mag, pulling to verify its seated, or hitting the release) off it goes.

I can't look at stuff like this because it makes me want to start building one. Nice job!

Same thing happened to me ... my buddy started a build and was asking me questions. Next thing i know there were holiday sales and i was addicted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't look at stuff like this because it makes me want to start building one. Nice job!

Same thing happened to me ... my buddy started a build and was asking me questions. Next thing i know there were holiday sales and i was addicted

LOL ...zactly!

I used to work for Zippo and met him at SHOT SHOW 2013. Also met Demo Dick there too. But Kyle was as down to earth as you could get - still stings to think it's almost a year ago he was killed. Even more so the fact that there's so much BS going on with his wife and the person who is heading CRAFT.

Great job on the build, it really looks good.   I might have to use the same place as you for some cerakote work.

After reading his book and everything he and his family has endured, it's crazy he comes back home to get killed that way.  Tragedy.

Troy modular combat grip is on. Quite nice and rugged. Using the shorter size which feels nice. And im actually liking the dual setup with this + the mako magwell grip.

Posted Image

Thats a nice looking firearm dude. I like the flag in the HG. Do you see what I mean about having your hand further out? Much better control and less over travel when going side to side.

Nice rifle minus the magwell grip seems mall ninja to me, had one once took it off right away...

Thanks, def understand the varying POVs on magwell grips. To me, it feels quite comfortable and I like the way the fingers fit on the grip. Feels very natural. Like putting on a steering wheel cover I guess lol

Again, to each his own!