Buns of Guns

Using a Featureless Stock Intended for NY and CA

I found my way onto a California-based gun forum recently saying that the FRS-15 rifle stock is cosmetically a good alternative to a pistol grip (debatable since this stock is still pretty funny looking). Since Californians are forbidden from having ANY evil features on a semi-automatic rifle with the ability to accept a detachable magazine, these stocks are becoming a popularity.*

540x163xfrs_15-tm-tfb.jpeg.pagespeed.ic.

Then the FRS-15 started to grow on me. Not in that I like the way it looks, but in the "it doesn't look too shabby" sort.  Would any of you NJ AR-15 enthusiasts consider using this so you can have a threaded barrel and flash hider? 

*The other reason Californians want these is that they can legally use full capacity pre-ban mags in conjunction with featureless AR's. (Hence the long magazine pictured above)

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/12/12/frs-15-california-featureless-ar-15-stock/

I don't see the utility in NJ, especially not solely in order to use a flash hider. I would prefer a good stock over a flash hider any day.

Looking at that setup and thinking about the physics involved when firing, I also imagine that you will lose quite a bit of stability and recoil control with the loss of stock inline to the barrel and the recoils impulse.

I would also posit that in NJ that configuration would still qualify as having a pistol grip.

I don't think that stock pictured above adjusts....

Regardless, the whole NJ pinned stock doesn't really bother me in the little picture. Big picture? Hell Yes, I agree it is a useless, unnecessary and stupid law that needs to go away - however it doesn't really impact my shooting in any way. I generally set my stock in the same place - 1 or 2 clicks out depending on the receiver extension and OAL of the stock - and then never touch it. Whether in armor or slick, standing or prone, the stock stays put. If more than one person used my rifle o a relar basis it would probably be different story, and I would place the desire for an adjustable stock closer to the top of my list. But as it stands now? Not so much. They are solely my carbines and I set the stocks where I want them so they are best for me. Even with my issued guns that have adjustable stocks I never adjust them....

I might need a flash hider one day... If you are in possession of another rifle or lower with a pistol grip, you might be in violation of the AWB under constructive intent or whatever that term(having parts readily available) is.

That stock is Gay

"Not that there's anything wrong with that"

I handled one of these in New York a month ago. Actually somewhat comfortable. Because it's not closed in the back it's not a thumbhole/pistol grip according to the lawyers.

This leads me to a gripe I have with AR's in general... they're pretty ugly. These laws seem like a great reason for one or two companies to fill a gaping hole. A detachable mag, semi auto, modular rifle platform. Think "Ruger Mini-14" but that looks a bit better, is more accurate, and is modular. It would get around SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many issues and would likely sell very well. Really, just reworking the lower to accept some kind of traditional stock would be so cool. IMHO.

C

I might need a flash hider one day... 

For anyone who were to build an AR-15 from scratch, who thinks he or she might be moving to a free state sometime in the future, it would definitely be easier to replace that "gay" stock with an adjustable one + pistol grip than replacing a welded barrel with a threaded barrel + flash hider.

If you are in possession of another rifle or lower with a pistol grip, you might be in violation of the AWB under constructive intent or whatever that term(having parts readily available) is.

This has been on my mind for a while. Since you'd have in your possession interchangeable parts that could be configured into an "assault weapon", it would be troubling to go to the range with the two rifles simultaneously.  

"Not that there's anything wrong with that"I handled one of these in New York a month ago. Actually somewhat comfortable. Because it's not closed in the back it's not a thumbhole/pistol grip according to the lawyers.This leads me to a gripe I have with AR's in general... they're pretty ugly. These laws seem like a great reason for one or two companies to fill a gaping hole. A detachable mag, semi auto, modular rifle platform. Think "Ruger Mini-14" but that looks a bit better, is more accurate, and is modular. It would get around SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many issues and would likely sell very well. Really, just reworking the lower to accept some kind of traditional stock would be so cool. IMHO.C

Unfortunately the receiver extention prevents putting an AR in a traditional rifle stock.

Unfortunately the receiver extention prevents putting an AR in a traditional rifle stock.

That's why I mentioned a rework. Putting the buffer tube in a wooden stock is not a problem. There are a couple of companies that make them. It's the fire control group/safety/magazine catch etc. that present the problem. Stuff that crap up inside. I'm certain it can be accomplished. It would be thoroughly rad if it did.

I mean, a boy can dream, can't he?  :maninlove:

C

For anyone who were to build an AR-15 from scratch, who thinks he or she might be moving to a free state sometime in the future, it would definitely be easier to replace that "gay" stock with an adjustable one + pistol grip than replacing a welded barrel with a threaded barrel + flash hider.

This has been on my mind for a while. Since you'd have in your possession interchangeable parts that could be configured into an "assault weapon", it would be troubling to go to the range with the two rifles simultaneously.  

There are a few NJ legal muzzle devices that are considered top tier in "real" America.  The BC Battlecomp comes to mind.