Just to update- I failed to mention that the vast majority of my shooting will be done indoors.  Upon mentioning this, several vendors have advised me to go with the Battlecomp 1.5 instead due to sound levels.  This was advise heeded and I placed my order accordingly.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like buying a comp due to the sound level seems weird.

It's not weird, everyone has their needs and every comp is a compromise. Choose your budget. the battlecomp and dynacomp and their ilk are nice mix of effective and less blasty. I have a hammerhead on one rifle. Shooting it using a plywood table as a rest outdoors was a punishing experience. It's effective, but it is LOUD and creates a lot of directed blast. I would not shoot it in an indoor tunnel or indoor range. You make your choices based on your needs. 

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like buying a comp due to the sound level seems weird.

I'm buying a comp because my barrel is already threaded and I need to do something to comply with NJ law.  Instead of welding a thread protector, I figured why not try something new?  I went with the BC because many reviews of the PWS said it is unsuitable for indoor ranges.  From what many have said, the performance is very close between the two, but the volume/concussion is much higher with the PWS.  I also don't want to be an a**hole to the guys next to me at the range.  I'm not looking for absolute best performance at all costs, but a balance between performance and comfort.  That's precisely why people buy a BMW M3 over Lotus Elise. 

I have this on one rifle and I can honestly say I've never thought twice about the sound/blast.

IMG_0072.jpg 

If anyone has ever shot in the SCFGPA tube, its like shooting in a cement phonebooth.

This was a pretty cool read, hope it helps....

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2014/01/12/ar-15-muzzle-device-comparison/

that was the best explanation/demonstration of muzzle devices i've seen yet

i'm shopping for one too and i think your link just answered every question i had

As much as I like vuurwapenblog article's approach, I think it has two primary issues. Despite a nice try, it still fails to create an apples to apples comparison AND that even having an apples to apples comparison is near pointless because as they hit on in the article, the primary thing you need to prevent is muzzle rise which is the result of translating the operation of the weapon through the shooter. There's also the third issue it doesn't touch on at all, which is that the operation of the firearm and muzzle devices is not a 2 dimensional xy issue, it is a 3 dimensional xyz operation.

IMO, getting a good flash suppressor is amatter of measure the flash and measure the sound. You can get very good ones that minimize the tuning fork effect. 

Getting a universally good comp means building something that does it's best to not waste any gas coming out of the gun and tries to anchor the muzzle to a single spot in space, and these tend to be very loud and very bright because to be otherwise means you are converting energy that could be used for that into heat or vibration. 

I don't agree with some of their conclusions either. For example the rainier brake. IMO it is not very good, primarily becuase it has ports that are WAY too large for the size of the baffle that is struck. They do however give you good access to clean the crown of the barrel, and  the shorter version is pretty darn light. But they aren't that hot at reducing recoil, and they are louder than need be for the amount they do. 

There are a number of breaks heading to market that use computational fluid dynamics modeling and finite element analysis. They should be interesting. The engineering is basically trickle down from the suppressor market. The net result probably won't be the end of compromise, but at the very least the weight factor should come down. 

In theory the dynamic resistance brake claims a 62% reduction in recoil over and a2 bird cage. which would put it as the lowest on the vuurwapen chart for recoil. it's teeny and 2.4 ounces. 

I've owned the battlecomp 1.5, the YHM phantom & the PWS

I've got the PWS on both my rifles now,I've been very pleased.

Having a document from the ATF stating is is not a flash hider is a nice bonus to an already outstanding piece if hardware, For me at least..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk