ryan_j

Buying an AR, risky?

Honestly, my suggestion is not to buy the AR.

In four years Beretta might finally produce an ARX100, so if you are going to wait four years, at least wait for something that will be a hit with the ladies.  

ARX? Whatever. I'm holding out for the Bushmaster ACR.

I hear a second caliber conversion kit is due out by 2020. 

Nobody cares why the NJ SP is doing this? Or do you all know something I don't know? Cause this pisses me off quite a bit.

Maybe I missed a previous posting but is this "awb book" confirmed?

Yes, how about some FFLs chiming in here to confirm this new booking system and if they have heard wtf the reason is?!

There is no riddle....

There are two books being kept... I don't know if all ffls are doing it....or complying

But I know the NJsp mandated it upon inspection for renewal....

So no riddles.. NJsp wants an assault type weapons bound book to be kept.

It's being done

When did this start?

Well, they don't answer to the legislature. Only to Christie. Is somebody going to ask his office about this? Somebody obviously told them to prepare for an expanded "EBR" ban and start a registration in advance of one.

Call Fox News. Heck, call Hanitty and Mark Levin. Those radio dudes might make hay out of it. Somebody needs to get to the bottom of this. Christie is vulnerable right now. He is either complicit in this or needs to be politically (id est legally) blackmailed with this crap.

Who is going to do something about this? Somebody step up right now.

There is no riddle....

There are two books being kept... I don't know if all ffls are doing it....or complying

But I know the NJsp mandated it upon inspection for renewal....

So no riddles.. NJsp wants an assault type weapons bound book to be kept.

It's being done

is this a law for FFLs in NJ? Or is someone from the state abusing power to bully you guys into doing this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There has been an aw bound book since the ban. This is not new. What we have is someone saying that stuff is getting logged in it that is not an aw by law. It's the kind of thing one should confirm IMO.

There has been an aw bound book since the ban. This is not new. What we have is someone saying that stuff is getting logged in it that is not an aw by law. It's the kind of thing one should confirm IMO.

It would be very interesting if stuff is getting logged in there that is not supposed to be.

I'm lost.  If FFL's cant sell AW's why would there be an AW book?  

If there is an AW book, what gets logged if not AWs?  

Jersey legal AR's, AKs, Lowers, etc. aren't legally AWs - are these items logged into the AW book?

If there is a separate book for "AW - style" firearm sales that aren't actually AWs, this is disturbing because it means that somebody has plans to someday need a quick list of everyone who owns one of these currently legal firearms.

So.....you're saying that TWO YEARS AGO, the NJSP ordered FFL holders to maintain TWO books - one with all transactions, and one with just AW-type transactions?

If so, WHY are we only hearing about this NOW?

Correct. Since 1990ish. Two books. I keep three books.

1. Regular long guns, handguns, receivers, BP and Pellet

2. for Full-Autos and NJ named "Assault Weapons"

3. for Gunsmithing

As #2 states, I only log in NJ named "Assault Weapons". All clones are modified to be NJ legal prior to entering into book. They would then go into #1. The law allows a certain time period before it has to be entered.

( d ) below states that two books are needed. Also, take note of what ( c ) states.

N.J.A.C. 13:54-5.1 Purchase or sale of assault firearms and machine guns

( a ) Except as provided in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6, no person shall possess a machine gun without first having obtained a license in accordance with the provisions of this chapter. Except as provided in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6, no person shall possess an assault firearm without first having obtained a license in accordance with the provisions of this chapter, registered the assault firearm pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2C:58-12, or rendered the assault firearm inoperable pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2C:58-13.

( b ) Any licensed dealer in firearms who sells or otherwise transfers a machine gun or an assault firearm shall confirm both the identity of the purchaser, and in the case of a licensee, the validity of the license. A machine gun or assault firearm shall be delivered unloaded and securely wrapped.

( c ) A licensed dealer who accepts an assault firearm and/or machine gun from a private citizen for transfer, resale or repair shall, within 48 hours of such acquisition, notify the Superintendent. Such dealer shall maintain possession of the assault firearm and/or machine gun, until he or she receives permission from the Superintendent to proceed with the transfer, resale or repair of the weapon. Failure by the dealer to comply with this requirement may result in the revocation of the license or registration of such dealer.

( d ) In addition to the permanent records of receipt or disposition of firearms required by this chapter to be maintained by a wholesale or resale dealer, such dealers shall keep and maintain a separate ledger for the acquisition or receipt and sale or disposition of machine guns and assault firearms. This ledger shall be in the same form and contain the same information as provided for in N.J.A.C. 13:54-3.13, 3.14 and 3.15 and N.J.A.C. 13:54-4.12.

OK then....to follow this discussion further.  If I, John Q. Buyer, purchase a NJ-neutered AR type, such as a S&W M&P Sporter, it goes into which book?

I enter into #1, the regular one. It is not an AW.

ETA: From ATF FAQ:

How much time does a dealer have to record acquisitions and dispositions of firearms in his or her "bound book"?

If commercial records are kept containing the required information, are available for inspection, and are separate from other commercial documents, dealers have 7 days from the time of receipt or disposition to record the receipt or disposition in the "bound book." Receipts not covered by these records must be entered in the "bound book" by the close of the next business day after the acquisition or purchase. If a disposition is made before the acquisition has been entered in the "bound book," the acquisition entry must be made at the same time as the disposition entry.

Thank you.....now I understand.  Sorry for my confusion; from the original discussion, I thought there was another 'new' book required by the semi-communist state of NJ.

Thank you.....now I understand.  Sorry for my confusion; from the original discussion, I thought there was another 'new' book required by the semi-communist state of NJ.

Not going to argue with you Paul, but that question was asked and the answer was, NJ compliant or NOT, if it had any of the AWB features such as removeable magazine, pistol grip etc......it was to go in the 'other' book......

From what I gather they even want lowers in the 'other' book........

Regardless WHAT book it is in......if someone wants the data......it is there....

Well I'm still confused because according to the above post the Sport goes into the AW book?

How about a few example situations for everyone to wrap their heads around...

1. S&W m&p15 sport - which book?

2. Spikes tactical ST15 LE rifle direct from spikes w/no alterations- Which book?

3. PSA stripped lower - which book

4. Colt AR15 - which book?

5. Umerex colt M4 22 - which book