supranatural

Experience with 15 round mags for ARs

I am picking up my 6920 later this week, and been looking into 15 round mags...I've found out that basically there is a Magpul modified to 15 rounds from 20 that is out there, nothing coming straight from the mfg as a 15 round mag.  In the description for the mags they state "The magazines are designed to comply with capacity restrictions, but are not guaranteed to insert easily on a closed bolt when loaded to full capacity. "  So my question is whether anyone has found that the mag is any harder to insert or is it a non issue?     

I am picking up my 6920 later this week, and been looking into 15 round mags...I've found out that basically there is a Magpul modified to 15 rounds from 20 that is out there, nothing coming straight from the mfg as a 15 round mag.  In the description for the mags they state "The magazines are designed to comply with capacity restrictions, but are not guaranteed to insert easily on a closed bolt when loaded to full capacity. "  So my question is whether anyone has found that the mag is any harder to insert or is it a non issue?     

I think the modified mags are made extra tight to prevent anyone from managing to force an addition round in and no longer be in compliance. I have some 10 round mags from CProducts and it is tight getting the 10th round in, never mind an 11th. It takes quite a slap to get them to seat on a closed bolt so I don't. Picture being at a range and some eager beaver LEO newbie decides to be a dick and manages to force an additional round into the mag. Talk about a day not ending well. So they make them extra tight and the mag won't lock on a closed bolt.

Something to keep in mind with a factory 30rd PMAG is they actually take 31 rounds in order to guarantee loading against a closed bolt when full.  However, loading a fully loaded mag against a closed bolt when the carbine is warm is still a fight.  Anyhow, with PMAGs, to guarantee loading against a closed bolt, they pretty much have to take an extra round.  If loading against a closed bolt is critical to you, do as every other serious student I have trained with does and download your mags.  Here in Missouri, we do not have any capacity limitations (except when hunting) but I have yet to come across a student in class who keeps 30 rounds in their mags after the first day of class.  

Pk90 mags. I just ordered 6 more off him friday night. He shipped them the next day. Buy with confidence sir. At 16 bucks a mag. 6 for 110 shipped. Can't go wrong. Thanks again...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

$106

I have 15 rounders from Thermold. They are native 15 - no mods needed.

Thermold got a bad reputation after the Canadian military bought the licence and made their own using the wrong plastic. Buy genuine Thermold with confidence.

where from?

PMAGs are made of fiberglass-reinforced polymer aka plastic ;)

I should have just googled it <smacks hand on forehead> duh...

Final question, I hope...Better to have a 15/20 or 15/30 mag?  I'm thinking 15/20 because why have the extra length if it cannot be used?  That way I can fit more of them in pockets etc if need be.  

Final question, I hope...Better to have a 15/20 or 15/30 mag?  I'm thinking 15/20 because why have the extra length if it cannot be used?  That way I can fit more of them in pockets etc if need be.  

That depends.  15/30s are better for training as they give you more magazine surface area to work with when extracting from magazine pouches.  You can cut foam and pack the bottom of your pouches and run 15/20s however you won't have as much to grab onto when the magazine is in the rifle.  15/20s and the cutdown 15 work better from a bench than the 15/30.

What sort of pockets are you talking about? The longer 15/30s are infinitely easier to grab out of mag pouches. Plus I don't jam my hand in the magwell when 'beer-canning' my mags.